By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The most milked franchise in gaming

izaaz101 said:
Onyxmeth said:
JaggedSac said:
Aren't some of Singstar games country specific?

Yup. I actually don't agree with Singstar being the most milked. I just think with the type of game it is, it should deserve a pardon. They need to makes different tracklists for different countries, and then need to give them all different variations for individual tastes. It just has certain expectations that force it to be "milked" in that sense. Sports games deserve the same pardon because they have to release yearly to catch roster updates for the fans.

I think that the pardon period for sports games are over. With hard drives starting to become the standard (wii being the exception, although SD cards could be substituted) there is no longer any reason for yearly releases, when a simple downloadable roster update is sufficient. Unless they re-invent themselves yearly, in terms of features or game mechanics, it seems like a waste.

Absolutely not. The Xbox 360 Arcade has no harddrive and limited memory. The Wii has limited memory. The PS2 and DS cannot receive the updates. The PSP has variable amounts of memory, but not a very easy way of getting DLC. Also sports games are highly downstream titles. Many people only buy them and nothing else, and are not knowledgeble about going online and doing DLC. Also not everyone is connected to the internet on their consoles.

Have I given you enough reasons as to why yearly sports releases are still necessary?

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network

I'm not seeing any Dutch titles so the list is probably way longer. maybe double as long.

How could i forget Dance Dance Revolution? That's pretty bad too, considering many of them share many of the same songs, except just a different mix.

http://www.ddrfreak.com/versions/listver.php i counted 95. Take that SingStar!

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

@Johann: Damn. A quick look to wikipedia shows that with the same method you get 120 Megaman games, gives you more than 200 Star Wars games (not counting in expansions).

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

SmokedHostage said:
^

This is gaming, not Television.

tell me what's so new in pokemon platinum that wasn't in previous games

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Around the Network

The idea that Singstar is a particularly milked franchise. All those games are essentially cut price song packs, in the PS2 era where you could not download extra songs. It would suck if you were stuck with just those original songs. Rock Band has extra songs like every week, it is a very good business model as those games cost very little to make after you have sold the original game to pay for the development costs

The most milked franchise is Need for Speed, it was completely dead, though Shift does look interesting.

I think you should have added:

1) Guitar Hero
2) Call of Duty
3) Final Fantasy VII

Onyxmeth said:
izaaz101 said:
Onyxmeth said:
JaggedSac said:
Aren't some of Singstar games country specific?

Yup. I actually don't agree with Singstar being the most milked. I just think with the type of game it is, it should deserve a pardon. They need to makes different tracklists for different countries, and then need to give them all different variations for individual tastes. It just has certain expectations that force it to be "milked" in that sense. Sports games deserve the same pardon because they have to release yearly to catch roster updates for the fans.

I think that the pardon period for sports games are over. With hard drives starting to become the standard (wii being the exception, although SD cards could be substituted) there is no longer any reason for yearly releases, when a simple downloadable roster update is sufficient. Unless they re-invent themselves yearly, in terms of features or game mechanics, it seems like a waste.

Absolutely not. The Xbox 360 Arcade has no harddrive and limited memory. The Wii has limited memory. The PS2 and DS cannot receive the updates. The PSP has variable amounts of memory, but not a very easy way of getting DLC. Also sports games are highly downstream titles. Many people only buy them and nothing else, and are not knowledgeble about going online and doing DLC. Also not everyone is connected to the internet on their consoles.

Have I given you enough reasons as to why yearly sports releases are still necessary?

You missed one. Which seems better value to you, $60 for a downloadable updated roster, or $60 for a "brand new game"? Given there is more percieved value in repackaging the same game with a few minor updates than just downloading a patch, you can put a much bigger markup on the product that hits the shelf.

Final Fantasy

2009 World Series Champions:  New York Yankees

Rol, PS2 didn't have an online Store from which DLC could be downloaded, a la GH and RB.

Therefore, when Sony wanted to offer more songs, they could only bring out a new disc.

Hardly lazy milking...