By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - how come sony doesnt have titles like nintendo?

Gearbox said:

to start off, i know they have many great blockbuster hits like ratchet, clank, jak,daxter, kratos, sly, bentle, murry. erhmmm. the gran turismo carbot thingy? lol

but how come their titles have never sold as well as nintendo titles (aside for crash bandicoot but thats not owned by sony)

ive been thinking, i know the ps3 is for adults, but if a parent gets a ps3 wouldnt it be smart for sony to also make many games that apeal to a younger audience so that the parents get their kids that? 

like wouldnt that steal some wii sales? make many kids game for the ps3 then people will buy a ps3 for the blu ray and buy the kids games for their kids?

Who?

As for Ratchet and Clank, their games are good, and they sell well, but they are not up to Mario Galaxy standards.

Jak and Daxter? I only played 1 of their games and it was kinda dull.

Kratos?... GoW games sell fine and Nintendo don't have a comparable character, so I don't see what you problem is with that one.

And the carbot thing isn't exactly a mascot.

Around the Network

Price is now the only reason the PS3 isn't selling that well. That and mabey because they no longer have backwards compatiblility. Don't let anyone tell you different. It now has a good supply of AAA games and they keep coming. The PSN is now much better than it was when released. Anyone who tries to say it just isn't any good is biased. People just don't want to spend $400 on a toy.

About games in the past. The PS2 for example. I believe is now well over 130 million units sold, but couldn't sell games as well as the Wii can. It's a combination of many things.

Many people bought a PS2 because they found the N64 childish and wanted a better experience just to learn gaming wasn't for them. Therefore, they had a nice DVD player.

Also, Sony has always had a very large variety of games. Therefore most of the people who had a PS2 will not be getting the same games as others. Such as, if someone bought a PS2 to play Resident Evil, they may not buy game such a Rachet, Gran Turismo, or Grand Theft Auto.

Another reason, in my opinion, is the marketing Nintendo has done with the Wii. They knew the HD market would have broke the harder than Sega so they had to do something different. I still do not classify the Wii a a video game console. Either that or the HD consoles are not. Let's face it, if a no name company would have made the Wii, it would not be on these charts. The only reason it is classified as a console is because it's made by Nintendo.

Also, the phenomenom of the Wii has brought many new people into the enviroment. If you go to your friends house and constantly get stomped in gaming, you may be willing to spend $300 to get some practice.

This explains most of it. There are really only the big four that are that wild. The good original Nintendo titles mainly go in the 6 to 10 million catagory which is good, but nothing unheard of. Definately nothing beating the PS2's top dogs. It's hard for a console marketed at the age group of 14 to 29 to sell more copies of a single game than a console market to people from 3 to 103.

I have moved and do not have the internet at home, yet.

Simple :

• Sony is a technology company
  • Microsoft is a software company
  • Nintendo is a gaming company

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

Sardauk said:

Simple :

• Sony is a technology company
  • Microsoft is a software company
  • Nintendo is a gaming company

This. Nintendo is just more experienced in making games then sony and microsoft.

There are multiple reasons for this, but I think the biggest is that since the NES days Nintendo has very sucessfully built up brands around certain characters, namely Mario, Zelda/Link, Yoshi, Luigi. If you look at the best selling Nintendo games they tend to have these names in the title or a recognisable face on the box art.

Furthermore, Nintendo games can be played by everyone. God of War sold well but no-one's gonna buy that for there 6 yr-old. Mario on the other hand is accessible no matter what age you are and parents would feel happy about buying it for their kids.

I don't buy it that Sony don't have enough experience creating games as a good number are quality titles (Shadow of the Collossus, GT, Killzone2, LBP, Syphon Filter etc.). However, none of them have a historicaly memorable character, and the market for many of these games isn't as huge as age 0-Death. Maybe they need to market their games better?

Around the Network

Sony just failed to create a Mascot like Link, Mario or Master Chief. They have been trying with Crash, Sackboy but they simply fail at make them: significant, memorable and big. They do create great games without a doubt but apart from Gran Turismo their games dont have that much appeal like Mario has, they just like this magic that Italian plumber has.

Sony sold their consoles in the past because of Third party exclusives, now they dont have that argument anymore so they need to promote their 1st party offerings, the hype usually is there, sales are good but nothing monumental is happening.

dsister44 said:
why would you buy your kids a $400 ps3 to play kids games? when you can get a wii and a blu-ray player for less. anyway kids don't buy as many games as adults.

really? if the Wii cost $250 that means you can find a blu-ray player under $150? doubt it. If you did it'd either be a crappy one or like its black friday, or a crappy one on black friday.  I rather just have one system that does it all then having to hook up 2 things.

OT: Nintendo just has differential games that appeals to many more consumers.

Gearbox said:

to start off, i know they have many great blockbuster hits like ratchet, clank, jak,daxter, kratos, sly, bentle, murry. erhmmm. the gran turismo carbot thingy? lol

but how come their titles have never sold as well as nintendo titles (aside for crash bandicoot but thats not owned by sony)

ive been thinking, i know the ps3 is for adults, but if a parent gets a ps3 wouldnt it be smart for sony to also make many games that apeal to a younger audience so that the parents get their kids that? 

like wouldnt that steal some wii sales? make many kids game for the ps3 then people will buy a ps3 for the blu ray and buy the kids games for their kids?

That playstation libary IMO is far more diverse than Nintendo's , that is the reason why , Nintnendo has select main franchises that sell excellently well (Mario , Pokemon , Zelda ) wheras Sony has a plethora of franchises wich sell decently well. A strategy of oringiality and diversity isn't one that'll give you individual games selling 10 million copies because each title apeals to a different demographic.

Nintendo sticks to their tried and tested formula of releasing the same franchises every generation Super Smash Bros on the N64 Smash Bros Melee on the GC then Smash Bros Brawl on the Wii or Super Mario 64 , Super Mario Sunshine GC and Super Mario Galaxy on the Wii. It's my opinion that Sony have been far more innovative and diverse on the software side introducing new IP's like Little Big Plannet , Uncharted , Resistance , Infamous , Heavy Rain , Eye Of Judgement , Motorstorm , Heavenly Sword , Warhawk  , Lair  , Demons Soul and the list goes on and on...

Infact I don't think Sony are given enough credit for the amount of original content they've released for their platform , Nintendo have given us Wii Fit , Wii Play , Wii Sports as notable new I.P's but their biggest innovation has been in the hardware. Nintendo have relied heavily on the brand name of the exisiting IP's to sell their platform wheras Sony has gone the more creative approach.

But Sony does have some big selling franchises like  Grand Turismo and God Of War.

@RolStoppable

Just thought I'd point out that Mario Kart and Nintendogs weren't the first of there genre/sub-genre. There had been many fun racers on lesser systems and I remember playing the original Catz and Dogz when I first got a PC in the mid-late 90s (not to mention tamagotchis). Also, Mario Kart has Mario in the name which is always going to help Nintendo (who doesn't love Mario?).

Also on the evidence of this generation, the only software trend Nintendo have set is the introduction of party games. Take Zelda for instance, I loved it on Wii but it's still as formulaic as most Zelda games. Metroid Prime, Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart Wii were just more of the same. They sell well because of the mascots and characters Nintendo have developed over the last 20 yrs. Sony on the other hand, and unlike in previous generations have introduced a load of new IPs and small but relatively significant innovations. Unfortunately for them, these haven't really been noticed by anyone beyond the core and are also not really trend setting.

Scoobes said:
@RolStoppable

Just thought I'd point out that Mario Kart and Nintendogs weren't the first of there genre/sub-genre. There had been many fun racers on lesser systems and I remember playing the original Catz and Dogz when I first got a PC in the mid-late 90s (not to mention tamagotchis). Also, Mario Kart has Mario in the name which is always going to help Nintendo (who doesn't love Mario?).

Also on the evidence of this generation, the only software trend Nintendo have set is the introduction of party games. Take Zelda for instance, I loved it on Wii but it's still as formulaic as most Zelda games. Metroid Prime, Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart Wii were just more of the same. They sell well because of the mascots and characters Nintendo have developed over the last 20 yrs. Sony on the other hand, and unlike in previous generations have introduced a load of new IPs and small but relatively significant innovations. Unfortunately for them, these haven't really been noticed by anyone beyond the core and are also not really trend setting.

Super Mario Kart was 1992. Find a racer that tried to be non-realistic before 1992.

Nintendogs wasn't an innovation; its marketing was. The concepts weren't new but put together by Nintendo their appeal was magnified.

Yes, 2006 on has been the least innovative period for Nintendo in their history. But I think this is because games from then were developed as sequels to GC games. The motion controls were an afterthought in all of those, no matter how well done. The generation of games that were designed from day one for the Wii Remote will be very innovative and in the next-gen MS and Sony consoles with motion controls they will borrow heavily from the things Nintendo innovate in their games from now to then.

Name one new thing Sony has done this gen (or indeed any gen). They take the successes of third-party games (Resistance and Killzone ripped off every PC and console FPS from Halo onwards; GT5 doesn't represent anything new over previous realistic racers like Need for Speed and Burnout; Uncharted takes the gameplay of Tomb Raider and mixes it with the wider adventure genre stereotypes.) and reorganise them under different names with better graphics. The only truly innovative thing I have seen from Sony is LBP, but even within that is there anything different between it and the basic gameplay of SMB in 1986?