By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Top 25 Selling Video Games of all time

Nintendogs should sell even more than Pokemon Diamond and Pearl.

Around the Network

Original source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

They just merged "Top 20 console games of all time" with the top PC games and added a two sentence description to each game.

Systems owned: Nintendo 64, GameCube, Xbox 360, Atari 7800, Genesis, PlayStation, Dreamcast, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS.

Year-end predictions (April 6, 2008):

• DS: 94 million (96.0)
  • Wii: 46 million (44.4)
  • PSP: 45 million (43.6)
  • X360: 27 million (27.3)
  • PS3: 24 million (19.4)
  • PS2: 124 million (123.7)

There list seems to be way off, considering the numbers on this site are better.

http://vgchartz.com/worldtotals.php

For once, I agree with Gran Turismo. That list is NOT accurate. No mention of Super Mario Brothers (NES) or Tetris (GB), the two highest-selling games of all time. VGchartz has a better listing of games (although it misses a couple of PC games, strangely).

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

they excluded packed in games, which is why both tetris and super mario brothers are excluded

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Around the Network
Sullla said:
For once, I agree with Gran Turismo. That list is NOT accurate. No mention of Super Mario Brothers (NES) or Tetris (GB), the two highest-selling games of all time. VGchartz has a better listing of games (although it misses a couple of PC games, strangely).

They actually mention SMB in the brief description at the top. I guess it doesn't include pack-in games.

Sony games on the list are being recorded as selling less then they did, check VG numbers compared to that site.

GTA4 will be there to ... maybe Halo 3 ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

VGC's list is much better, save PC games.

I'm pretty sure that Starcraft 9.5M is accurate, but VGC doesn't have good PC coverage, nor good coverage of Korea, where SC I think sold at least 3M. WoW will end up over 10M no doubt, also due to Korea and other areas of Asia where VGC doesn't seem to have numbers for. The Sims 2 13M came from an EA press release ( http://planetthesims.gamespy.com/View.php?view=PressReleases.Detail&game=8&id=77 ), but I'm wondering if they were counting the expansion packs, or if VGC's 5.2 number for the Sims 2 is 2 years old.

But VGC's numbers for all the console/handheld games are a lot better.

I think counting pack-ins is fine, too. Increase the list to 30 if you think it gives other games the shaft.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Bursche said:
Wii Sports might eventually be there. Halo 3 will crack it for sure.

Wii Sports will not be there, seems the list doesn't include bundled games! Otherwise Supermario Bros with 40 million would be number 1! And Wii Sports already sold enough to be in that top 25.

SSBB, SMG, Mario Kart Wii and Halo3 are expected to do better than their prequels.