By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sharky versus vgchartz: August NPD smackdown

You are using numbers for the UK to make your predictions for the US?

I'm sorry, that just doesn't really make sense to me.

Around the Network

Anyone can makeup numbers out of their butts especially when they just copy the previous month and add their preference or assume things like price drops = greater sales duh!. In the end it is pointless and there is no accountability if your wrong or right which means nobody cares in the end. At least Patcher gets paid for what he does and as he mentioned before he has peoples investments depended on him making good predictions plus he might have more access to data then your common Joe again copying and pulling numbers out of their butts. I just commenting because I wouldn't like the forums being filled with bunch of baseless predictions which I can make on my own. Sharing your predictions is fine really but don't expect for anyone to take you seriously is all.

@Kber81
Relax! seriously, he had a complaint and wants to show that he can do better... he's posting it and now we wait and see... if he fails, I'm sure IOI or anyone else will bring up this post and stick it in his face (or the opposite will happen)

@Sharky
IOI's numbers are educated guess based on the sales numbers he collects. The only difference between your educated guess and IOI's is that he has more pieces of the puzzle.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

(yawn)

You're welcome to 'guess' along with ioi and the NPD for that matter -- 'cause in the end everyone is making assumptions and doesn't have all the data to provide a real number.  And heck, your numbers may be closer to the NPS's than ioi's.  That's of course if you think the NPD is gospel.  It's true that this site recognizes that the NPD has more data available and greater experience in the field, but the NPD is not infallible.  Heck, they've provided revisions to their own numbers from time to time.  And they're constantly late in delivering their monthly figures.  Until the NPD provides a weekly figure, I'm going to enjoy what's being delivered here.

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

Are you folks like ... oblivious to the NPD thread that pops up every month?

That's ALL we do right before the numbers come out. We make guesses on what consoles will sell what.

Sharky and GranTurismo, make sure you keep an eye out for the official NPD thread that will pop up next thursday, and keep your numbers handy. I'll have guesses, along with a bunch of other folk. You are more than welcome to join in.

Around the Network

I will keep my numbers handy, but if this name is banned i'll be back with another one, this name is starting to bore me anyways. Maybe i'll be a wii fan next time, with the name FaTpLuMbEr. If someone steals my name you will hear from me. I've always been a blues fan. So maybe i'll use that.

As I told you in the thread you originally complained in sharky, if you want to make these predictions then do them before you have any numbers to base them on. In other words if you want to put yourself on a level playing field, guess week by week before the VGC #'s come out and then let your total for the month be your guess. The way you are doing it is taking advantage of VGC numbers which sort of ironically defeats the purpose of this.

By the way, you still haven't explained how you plan to get the right numbers to say who is and isn't closer. NPD, MC, ChartTrack all of them are estimates based on statistical analysis so if you won't take VGC's numbers it would also be very contradictory to take their numbers.

I think you are assuming NPD is 100% accurate which it simply isn't. But even then if you use NPDs numbers as the gauge, then all your guesses will signify your ability to guess VGC's tendancies to over or under track specific hardware relative to NPD.

Really I am trying to figure out how you are going to get provably meaningful data from this. The point is if there was a source to match data against after the fact it would actually be much easier for ioi and all of the tracking groups to do their jobs.

To Each Man, Responsibility
kber81 said:
sharky said:

Why not? I am trying to see if I can beat vgchartz prognostication!

Only I dont have data, just hunches, good guesses, etc!

First of all you can't beat VG chartz... you can face Patcher but not ioi who tracks sales... Man... your prediction is just funny... because of fact you like/support X360 you've added some more units. Everything else is a carbon copy of ioi's numbers (+/- 5k-10k ) ... what would you predict without this site? If you really like to challange this site try to make prediction for October right now.

Game, set and match.