By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sharky versus vgchartz: August NPD smackdown

kber81 said:

Everyone here knows ioi is really serious about this project. His numbers are for real and it's a result of some serious work. I think you can't just pop up here make a topic as "Sharky knows better than Vgchartz". It's not ok. Simply some things are prohibited on forums. If I was a mod (can you imagine this ) I would lock this topic. End of the story.

Well, I'm no fan of the topic title, but I think it was done in jest.

I fear you would ban half of the Wii population if you were a mod

Around the Network
Dolla Dolla said:

I fear you would ban half of the Wii population if you were a mod

I would ban everyone but ioi. I'm a supporter of ultimate order idea.

Yes, but I have psycho powers, not you. Scissor kick! Wait, that's a psycho power?

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Try guessing Septembers number sharky, given you've already seen what vgc has predicted.. you seem to be basing your numbers off that a fair bit

kber81 said:

Everyone here knows ioi is really serious about this project. His numbers are for real and it's a result of some serious work. I think you can't just pop up here make a topic as "Sharky knows better than Vgchartz". It's not ok. Simply some things are prohibited on forums. If I was a mod (can you imagine this ) I would lock this topic. End of the story.

First off, that attitude is proably why you're not a mod.

Second off, he didn't say "Sharky knows better than VGChartz", he posted "Sharky versus VGChartz"... It's a harmless thread challenging himself to post better predictive numbers than the site. There wasn't any malintent in the post, just a little challenge.

In short, get your panties out of a bunch and challenge his numbers in the thread instead of threatening him with a thread closure in a line of posts that I'm sure the moderators are already monitoring.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

I have to agree with kber81 that making a prediction after all Ioi's numbers are in already does give you quite a lot of information already. So if you really want to show your accuracy how about posting your september predictions without having those numbers at your disposal yet.

Also don't forget that this site includes all of the Americas, so NPD numbers for the US and Canada combined should still be smaller than VGchartz numbers.

^ not much smaller though, probably

@ rocketpig

Re-read his first post... some complaining, could do better with just educated guesses... even Diomades - who tends to disagree with ioi's figures pretty often didn't start such topic...

for me it's just not fair.

I think i'll join in on the fun too. It's all just for fun anyways, we all know ioi gets sales data, and ioi does not just pull numbers out his ass like i'm about to do. May the best man win sharky. Plus my data is for US+Canada.

DS 410,000

Wii 542,000

PS2 256,000

PSP 190,000

360 300,000

PS3 200,000

kber81 said:
sharky said:

Why not? I am trying to see if I can beat vgchartz prognostication!

Only I dont have data, just hunches, good guesses, etc!

First of all you can't beat VG chartz... you can face Patcher but not ioi who tracks sales... Man... your prediction is just funny... because of fact you like/support X360 you've added some more units. Everything else is a carbon copy of ioi's numbers (+/- 5k-10k ) ... what would you predict without this site? If you really like to challange this site try to make prediction for October right now.

Ummm no. I genuinly believe 360 will be high this month. We have two data points to support that. Gamestop reported 360 sales doubled after the cut (of course that was early on, and who knows if the trend continued). We also have chart track saying sales rose 260% in the UK after the cut (again first week) either way data points to a near doubling.
 Also the one thing where I believe my knowledge is superior is the fact most people are not accounting for the fact August is the first month where Elite is not supply constrained. The Elite is very popular and was always sold out prior. So even if the 360 had not seen a price drop, I believe it would have gotten a big sales bump from that. So I am predicting very high 360 sales. In fact, I would like to predict 340,000 or more, but I went with a safer estimate.

"Everything else is a carbon copy of ioi's numbers". No, I did not use ioi as my baseline. I used last month's NPD sales rates as my baseline. I already explained this. Last month, you could beat vgchartz just by using the prior month's sales as your guide, and adjusting the PS3 for the price drop. In many cases my guesses are close to ioi, because ioi's are usually close to prior month NPD sales rates. I cant help that. We do have significant areas of difference, in 360, PS3, and PSP sales.