By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should I buy a Xbox 360 or a PS3 ?

stewroids said:
If you asked me this question in 2007 I would say 360, but now, I think the PS3 is the better buy. The games are just so appealing; Killzone 2, Uncharted 1 and 2, the upcoming God of War, Ratchet games, the possibility of Jak 4, Little Big Planet, Resistance 1 and 2, MLB 09: The Show, and of course, everyone's favourite, MGS4. The library is packed with games and whoever says the PS3 is lacking in games is totally wrong.

The 360 is also solid; Halo is my second favourite series ever, and Gears is pretty good as well; but those are the only two mega exclusives on the 360; the PS3 has about 6-7 games that can be classified as mega exclusives. Plus, the online is free, so it's definitely a great thing and the 399 eventually pays itself off since u wont be paying 60 bucks a month with the 360. I say wait for now until a price drop is announced, but if you're really desperate, go with the arcade console for 199.

I think you were doing so well writing a relatively unbiased opinion until you said the 360 has only 2 mega exclusives, while you list MLB09, Ratchet and Jak 4 in that category above.  I'll not bother naming all I can think of but for starters you have Mass Effect (if you only count consoles), Fable 2, Forza, PGR, etc, etc.  Someone else can finish off the list if they like but I don't see any value in list wars in this thread.

Also stating that PSN is free as a benefit over Live without mentioning the massive feature set Live has over Psn to justify it's price is a little naughty.  End of the day it's your opinion, I just wanted to air my views on it.

Around the Network
stewroids said:
If you asked me this question in 2007 I would say 360, but now, I think the PS3 is the better buy. The games are just so appealing; Killzone 2, Uncharted 1 and 2, the upcoming God of War, Ratchet games, the possibility of Jak 4, Little Big Planet, Resistance 1 and 2, MLB 09: The Show, and of course, everyone's favourite, MGS4. The library is packed with games and whoever says the PS3 is lacking in games is totally wrong.

The 360 is also solid; Halo is my second favourite series ever, and Gears is pretty good as well; but those are the only two mega exclusives on the 360; the PS3 has about 6-7  games that can be classified as mega exclusives. Plus, the online is free, so it's definitely a great thing and the 399 eventually pays itself off since u wont be paying 60 bucks a month with the 360. I say wait for now until a price drop is announced, but if you're really desperate, go with the arcade console for 199.

One megaexclusive series so far. Two if you count GT5. But hey, if MGS4 counts then so does Forza...

Tease.

yeah, the WiFi, not such a big deal since it only works well if you have a fast internet connection, a good router, and a good signal, otherwise...lag city. Blu Ray players are cheap, so if you really wanted a 360, and wanted Blue ray, I would get the 360 and Blu ray player. XBL Gold also has netflix (not a big deal if you don't have a netflix account) it will have a twitter, Facebook, Last.fm, apps. It will also have the Zune Store, a large online gaming community. So it is well worth the $38.98 you can find it for (thats for 13 months) The new 360 are less problematic and have a 3 year warranty on the RROD as well as the E74 error. Plus, the 360 controller is the best out of the two (baring of course the terrible D-pad... but not a lot of games use the D-pad extensively anymore, and I devised a fix for it that works quite well). So, once again, both console have their pluses and negatives, so once again, it boils down to the games you like, and the games you want to play.

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

^ Seperate Blu Ray players also come with whats commonly known as a remote, how convenient eh?

Also you can use powerline networking as well which means you can hook the console and any other internet equiped device at either 85mbps or 200mbps which is far easier to set up, more secure and doesn't drop out like wireless. See? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122233

Tease.

It's such a loaded question. All the bells and whistles aside your console buying decision comes down to games. I'm going to risk flameage from all sides and say the 360 and PS3 are near identical in quality from a hardware and functionality perspective. Unfortunately PS3 was made with somewhat more expensive parts.

So your decision boils down to which exclusive games you most want to play.

If Mass Effect, Gears, and all those other 360 exclusives already mentioned make you drool then the answer is obvious. I won't mention that most famousest of Xbox games because if you were nuts for that game franchise and yet still posted this thread then you are just a great big troll.

If Uncharted, R&C, Valkyria Chronicles, and those other PS3 exclusives float your boat then the answer is equally obvious.

If you dig exclusives from both consoles, then either make a list and pick the system which has more games that YOU want to play. Or go for the cheapest console.

I went with PS3 because the only games I really really want to play are all PS3 exclusives. That's partly because I had a PS2 so I played and loved some PS2 exclusives (R&C for instance, and hoping for Jak 4). But that's just how things shook down. I only got a PS2 because Xbox didn't exist at the time and I never even knew the Gamecube existed until about a year after I'd bought the PS2. So really it's just the vagaries of history that lead me to buy the most expensive console of a great line-up of consoles.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

^ Is that a one bit answer?

Tease.

Either/or. Whatever let's you play that new kick ass Ghostbusters game.

slowmo said:
stewroids said:

The 360 is also solid; Halo is my second favourite series ever, and Gears is pretty good as well; but those are the only two mega exclusives on the 360; the PS3 has about 6-7 games that can be classified as mega exclusives. Plus, the online is free, so it's definitely a great thing and the 399 eventually pays itself off since u wont be paying 60 bucks a month with the 360. I say wait for now until a price drop is announced, but if you're really desperate, go with the arcade console for 199.

I think you were doing so well writing a relatively unbiased opinion until you said the 360 has only 2 mega exclusives, while you list MLB09, Ratchet and Jak 4 in that category above.  I'll not bother naming all I can think of but for starters you have Mass Effect (if you only count consoles), Fable 2, Forza, PGR, etc, etc.  Someone else can finish off the list if they like but I don't see any value in list wars in this thread.

Also stating that PSN is free as a benefit over Live without mentioning the massive feature set Live has over Psn to justify it's price is a little naughty.  End of the day it's your opinion, I just wanted to air my views on it.

whats the massive feature?

"They will know heghan belongs to the helghast"

"England expects that everyman will do his duty"

"we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

I was also in a similar dilemma.

PS3 or 360...

...i chose PS3. Not beacause of the games, not beacause of the features, not because of the design, this or that.

I chose it because it's more quiet than X360. Yeah...some may say it's a crazy reason, but I'm a freak when it comes to all kinds

of irritating noises. Just can't stand them. So, by PS3 being the more silent than X360 - I went for PS3.

hockey football and basket games are the same on both consoles, as for shooters and RPGs I recomend the 360