By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DSi NO MPS3 playback WTF!!!

no.. the mp3 format have a license.

which nintendo don't want to pay.

same reason linux don't have mp3 support out of the box.

also those effects can be done on the mp3 format.

AAC its just better at lower bitrates.

Around the Network

you're just not figuring out the DSi has no MP3 playback?

They've been saying that since the thing has been announced, it's not like they've been hiding it in any way at all.

jake_the_fake1 said:
But why should anyone have to convert their music, when other devices on the market don't require it, such as the PSP and most if not the majority of audio playback devices.

Also, Nintendo could have been more clear on their instruction manual that conversion from MP3 to other formats was required, and could have gone as far at least as to provide some free conversion software.

Nintendo, they'll nickel and dime you till they can nickel and dime you no more.

What do you mean nickel and dime?  You can only use that phrase if they're charging you.

scottie said:
AAC files of the same bitrate are of higher audio quality than MP3 files of the same bitrate.

So you can choose to either have
higher quality
lower file size

or a combination of the two

this.

I am surprised people still don't know AAC. When I use to encode anime, this is the audio format I was using 5 years ago as it gave me more space for video as audio was same quality for less size.

I agree with @OP in philosphy, but I understand the choice. I don't like it though. Maybe someone could put a MP3. to AAC converter built into it :)

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Around the Network

almost all mp3 players have AAC support too.
even cellphones.

jake_the_fake1 said:

What the fuck is wrong with Nintendo, I mean they 1st strip MP3 playback away form the photo channel and replace it with with this AAC bullshit....but you know the Wii isn't meant to be a media hub so I guess this can be over looked somewhat.

But the lack of MP3 support for the DSi, I mean WTF!!!!

The machine is advertised as being able to playback music, and yet lacks the MP3 format which just so happens to be the standard format for songs, I mean what were they thinking????

I suppose they wanted to save money from not paying the MP3 royalties or some shit, but at the same time made this non user friendly as the majority of people have MP3 songs, and now people who want their music on the DSi have to convert their songs to AAC with extension ending in MP4, M4A, 3gp and such.

The manual doesn't even tell the consumer that they have to convert their MP3's into the AAC format... thanks Nintendo............thanks for being so fucking cheap.

Take a look at the PSP, you put music into the music folder, and it works....this is how simple it should be to put music on the DSi....Nintendo is suppose to be about simplicity and how anyone can do it....and here they are going backwards and not caring.

Now I know it's suppose to be about the games, and how most won't care cuz they have an IPOD, but I'm just bringing to light an advertised feature of the DSi which is crap and and people are paying for, extra might I add, in order to get them selves the DSi.

Anyways, what are your opinions on this matter people>?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding

AAC audio is actually HD audio. Much better than MP3. I have nearly all my music as AAC and I'm converting it from 192 kbps to 256 kbps for better sound, since that's how iTunes wants it when purchasing iTunes+ (that's not protected; protected is 128 kbps, while the + music is 256 kbps and not protected and better quality). PLUS, I have to rebuy most of the other CDs in AAC from iTunes since they were from old CDs I had and most of them were damaged/scratched (on top; so the music skips). Not too bad. I have to spend money 10 times a month on my debit to raise my interest in my bank account anyways. Plus I love looking at the album art attached with a bigger picture size, so I can use those as a screensaver on my laptop <3

jake_the_fake1 said:
But why should anyone have to convert their music, when other devices on the market don't require it, such as the PSP and most if not the majority of audio playback devices.

Also, Nintendo could have been more clear on their instruction manual that conversion from MP3 to other formats was required, and could have gone as far at least as to provide some free conversion software.

Nintendo, they'll nickel and dime you till they can nickel and dime you no more.

LMFAO!! You just contradicted yourself because you own a PS3. CONGRATS!! XD

scottie said:
On a Mac they will be in the folder music/Itunes Music. I don't know where Itunes stores the files in Windows

C:\Users\User Name\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music

Wikipedia sez:
AAC is also the standard audio format for Sony’s PlayStation 3 and is supported by Sony's Playstation Portable, latest generation of Sony Walkman, Walkman Phones from Sony Ericsson, Nseries Phones from Nokia, Nintendo's Wii (with the Photo Channel 1.1 update installed for Wii consoles purchased before late 2007), the Nintendo DSi, and the MPEG-4 video standard.

So yeah, considering the Wii and DS use it as their standard audio format, I'd guess that's why it wants audio files to be AAC. Because they didn't want to muck around with extra formats.

Also, yeah, it's SUCH an obscure format, only being used by all the video game systems other than the 360, and the iPods, and the Walkmans, and various cell phones.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom!