By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DSi NO MPS3 playback WTF!!!

@Jo21: Apple has monopoly in DRM? Or what you are trying to say?
If the content with DRM is downloaded to a player that supports DRM (usually you aren't able to DL DRM content to any other device, or atleast play it) the content will work on it. It's that simple. Of course, the content has to be purchased for the device, since DRM is device specific (the purchase may include rights to copy the content X amount of times to different players).

@Onna: Yes you can convert, you just need the software that codes it to AAC.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network
Jo21 said:
SuperDave said:
It could be noted, that in a tiny fraction of the time people have spent whining about the new format, I converted my entire collection of music to AAC, threw it on an SD card, put it in my DS and never have to think about it again.

Perhaps I'm the only one who finds it ironic when people cry about the time effort to convert(instead of just supporting mp3), but spend hours arguing on a forum about it :)

i just did it for my 2gb microsd card, i don't recommend it, getting a 8gb next week.

it took over 500 min transcode and tranfer to aac just a part of my library.

That's strange, it took me about 20 minutes to convert 2 gigs worth of stuff to AAC via iTunes. What program were you using to convert?

@Onna, as I mentioned above, iTunes is pretty handy for the conversion, basically just highlight your library and click the 'create AAC version'. You can change the encoding rate via the preferences options.

Also, I didn't find there was a noticeable drop in sound quality when I converted.

The only teeth strong enough to eat other teeth.

Took me 2hrs to convert 2.3GB of music from mp3/wma to ACC, and I cannot tell of a decease in sound quality at all. It really doesn't take that long, and it saved me a bunch of space, that 2.3GB is now just 1.2GB. I didn't use iTunes.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions
NintendoMan said:
Took me 2hrs to convert 2.3GB of music from mp3/wma to ACC, and I cannot tell of a decease in sound quality at all. It really doesn't take that long, and it saved me a bunch of space, that 2.3GB is now just 1.2GB. I didn't use iTunes.

Well, but quality DOES drop, and you'll never be able to restore it. I'm really worried what will become of all the music on people's hard drives 10 years down the road... by then, everybody will have converted their libraries some more times, and it will all be a garbled, artifact-laden mess.

Currently playing: NSMB (Wii) 

Waiting for: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), The Last Story (Wii), Golden Sun (DS), Portal 2 (Wii? or OSX), Metroid: Other M (Wii), 
... and of course Zelda (Wii) 

Yes, because nobody will check before deleting their old-format music.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network
ElRhodeo said:
NintendoMan said:

Well, but quality DOES drop, and you'll never be able to restore it. I'm really worried what will become of all the music on people's hard drives 10 years down the road... by then, everybody will have converted their libraries some more times, and it will all be a garbled, artifact-laden mess.

Yep... if Nintendo really does want to change the audio file standard from MP3 they should choose a lossless format like .flac, .ape, or .shn. Then I would be 100% supportive of not including MP3 support. In that case you could convert your MP3 collection without losing fidelity.

Infinity said:
ElRhodeo said:
NintendoMan said:

Yep... if Nintendo really does want to change the audio file standard from MP3 they should choose a lossless format like .flac, .ape, or .shn. Then I would be 100% supportive of not including MP3 support. In that case you could convert your MP3 collection without losing fidelity.

Except that Nintendo isn't exactly the first or only company coming out in support of AAC, iTunes already distributes via AAC and they seem to do just fine.

The only teeth strong enough to eat other teeth.

SuperDave said:
Infinity said:
ElRhodeo said:
NintendoMan said:

Except that Nintendo isn't exactly the first or only company coming out in support of AAC, iTunes already distributes via AAC and they seem to do just fine.

I can't help it if the customers are getting hoodwinked. ;)

thekitchensink said:
Extra exclamation points and capital letters, as it turns out, don't strengthen your point.

They chose the AAC format because it's easier to play around with. Remember, you can change up the sounds, slow the music down, speed it up, add effects to it, etc.

You can do that with any digital music format. AAC doesn't specifically allow those things.

bdbdbd said:
@Jo21: Apple has monopoly in DRM? Or what you are trying to say?
If the content with DRM is downloaded to a player that supports DRM (usually you aren't able to DL DRM content to any other device, or atleast play it) the content will work on it. It's that simple. Of course, the content has to be purchased for the device, since DRM is device specific (the purchase may include rights to copy the content X amount of times to different players).

@Onna: Yes you can convert, you just need the software that codes it to AAC.

yes they do their DRM files could only be played by ipods before, while others stores even if drmed let you play on any file. until they very recently announce undrmed music by paying extra.

Example : Amazon.

Superdave: i use winamp to AAC+, itunes it's mess resource hog, especially the windows version and not very personalizable.