By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What Will Be 2009's Highest Rated Game? [Predictions]

Modern Warfare 2.

Around the Network
Yakuzaice said:

If we are talking about metacritic, SF4 (PS3) also has a 94.

Yes this thread is only in regards to metacritic numbers. It's just to keep things plain and simple. It will be interesting to see if the number 1 game according to metacritic/gamerankings and others are different.

I'd say so far that there is a split of votes between GTA:CTW and MW2.

perpride said:
Onyxmeth said:
perpride said:
Son1x said:

I think Brawl should also be under notables, 93 :)

I agree on GTA CW. Its possible.

Fixed.

As far as those who are choosing GTACTW: The game is currently sitting at 94. I'm not sure if it has a chance of going any higher than that. IF IT DOES not, then I don't think that it will remain the highest rated game of this year.

This argument purely based on history so it is open flaw - but the highest rated GOTY since 2005 has not fallen under 96 or 95 I think.

You have to understand though that almost all announced games are second iterations in the HD era, and are bound to be lower in review score than their first iterations were. It'll be hard for Uncharted 2, Bioshock 2, Modern Warfare 2, Ratchet and Clank, and many others to get up there. A lot of people don't think Gran Turismo 5 and God of War III are really coming out this year, so many are merely disqualifying them from contention, like myself. Alan Wake is a freaking mystery still. Halo 3: ODST will get rated down for being an expansion. Heavy Rain is far too niche in scope to get those kinds of scores. They've always gone to games with more mass appeal. I just don't think Infamous can get up there. I think it'll settle in the 80's like Crackdown did. Splinter Cell has never been past like 93 and I dont expect that to change now. Punch Out looks fanatastic but itll get rated down for not utilizing the motion controls correctly, and sticking better with the button setup. What does that leave?

1. The current reigning champ, GTA: CW

2. An unannounced game. It's hard to pick though because we don't exactly know which ones are real.

Well put.

One more thing. If GT5 and GOW III both come out this year, they still aren't sure locks to get a 95 or above. GT5 hasn't scored in the 90's since GT3:A-Spec. The only thing that has changed since then is that competition has arisen in the forms of Toca Racedriver/Grid and Forza Motorsport, amongst others. What was once Gran Turismo's free reign to be the leader all around, it now needs to heavily compete. If it can't exceed both games entirely there is a good chance it may not get that 95 that GT3 got.

Now God of War III is coming in a time where reviewers have not been particularly friendly towards hack n slash games any longer. Ninja Blade is bombing. Ninja Gaiden II, Devil May Cry 4, No More Heroes, Madworld and Heavenly Sword all pulled underwhelming review scores in comparison to the same franchises last gen. Unless GOW III pulls out all the stops and innovates, I think it's going to struggle to get a 95 because there is a lot of reviewer backlash towards hack n slash right now.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

perpride said:
Yakuzaice said:

Yes this thread is only in regards to metacritic numbers. It's just to keep things plain and simple. It will be interesting to see if the number 1 game according to metacritic/gamerankings and others are different.

Big difference depending on MR site used.

http://www.n4g.com/reviews/metareviews.aspx

I choose not to trust metacritics judgement on review value

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

dsister44 said:
Garnett said:
KZ2

its already been passed by gta ctw :)

Dam.

Around the Network

I'm going to say Bioshock 2, or maybe God of War if it manages to come out this year (I don't think this game will suffer the same faith as DMC and Ninja Gaiden since GOW has always more acclaimed and just plain better than the last two).

edit:

Why are you all answering GTA: CW ? Street Fighter 4 has the exact same score, so it should definitely be a tie.

megaman79 said:
perpride said:
Yakuzaice said:

Big difference depending on MR site used.

http://www.n4g.com/reviews/metareviews.aspx

I choose not to trust metacritics judgement on review value

I completely agree. Metascores should not be taken seriousley as far as judging games.

Zelda: Ocarina of Time?

Probably either Chinatown Wars or Spirit Tracks.

I have faith in Spirit Tracks.

"GTA Chinatown Wars - Nintendo Wii"
WTF?