By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What Will Be 2009's Highest Rated Game? [Predictions]

What do you think will be the highest rated game of 2009 according to metacritic? What score do you think it will get?

Last years highest rated title was Grand Theft Auto IV with a metascore of 98. Other notable titles are LBP at 95, MGS4 at 94 and Gears of War 2 as well as Super Smash Bros. Brawl at 93.

2007's best title according to the site was Super Mario Galaxy with a score of 97.

Keep in mind that the maker of this thread does not look at metacritic as a reliable source. This thread is just for shits and giggles at the end of the year.

My prediction? I think that Gran Turismo 5 could be the highest rated title of this year if it is released. I'm going to guess a metacritic score of 97 after the first 50 reviews are in. This would make it the highest rated GT game to date.

Edit - GT5 cannot be the highest rated game this year because it will not be released till 2010 :(

Here's a brief history of the games track record on metacritic:

Gran Turismo: 96

Gran Turismo 2: 93

Gran Turismo 3: 95

Gran Turismo 4: 89

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue: 80

Current Top Rated Game(s) of 2009:

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (97) - PlayStation 3

Grand Theft Auto: China Town Wars (94) - Nintendo DS

Street Fighter IV (94) - PlayStation 3

Around the Network

I was gonna say Starcraft II, but someone out there will not like about some feature or other and rate it down. Fuck it, Starcraft II. Or Half-Life 2: Episode 3.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Zelda Wii.

I don't think Gran Turismo or God of War will make it out this year so...uncharted or the new ratchet and clank.

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

^ Zelda Wii?

Around the Network

alan wake, they have been working on this game for way too long for it not to kick major butt.

I don't think Zelda wii will be announced for this year.

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

Im gonna say GTA CTW

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

I think Brawl should also be under notables, 93 :)

I agree on GTA CW. Its possible.

"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

gt5 if it comes out
uncharted2
infamous could be a sleeper in the reviews
the new burnout aswell could be a sleeper

it hard to tell unless i see a list of all games

Play Me