By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What Will Be 2009's Highest Rated Game? [Predictions]

Actually what I'd like it to be is Muramasa: The Demon Blade. But the genre and game itself is too niche for it to get great recognized scores.

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

Around the Network

lol the OT said chinatown wars is for wii.

but it'll prolly be Bioshock 2, Deus Ex 3 or Heavy Rain

Initiating social expirement #928719281

BxN said:

I'm going to say Bioshock 2, or maybe God of War if it manages to come out this year (I don't think this game will suffer the same faith as DMC and Ninja Gaiden since GOW has always more acclaimed and just plain better than the last two).

edit:

Why are you all answering GTA: CW ? Street Fighter 4 has the exact same score, so it should definitely be a tie.

The highs of each individual series, God of War, Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden Black all peak at 94 on metacritic.

Also Street Fighter IV is only 94 on PS3 and judging by the 360 score, it could be in decline. Basically the PS3 score lucked out for not getting included the lowest review from The Onion, which was a 67 but was only included on the 360 review list.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Onyxmeth said:
BxN said:

I'm going to say Bioshock 2, or maybe God of War if it manages to come out this year (I don't think this game will suffer the same faith as DMC and Ninja Gaiden since GOW has always more acclaimed and just plain better than the last two).

edit:

Why are you all answering GTA: CW ? Street Fighter 4 has the exact same score, so it should definitely be a tie.

The highs of each individual series, God of War, Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden Black all peak at 94 on metacritic.

How about the average then ?

Ninja Gaiden: 91 94 88 83 81

Devil May Cry: 94 84 68 84

God of War: 93 94 91

As you can see, God of War is a lot more consistent and just plain better than the other two franchises.

As for Street fighter being lucky, maybe, but it's still sporting the 94 rating which is the same as Chinatown wars. They also have about the same amount of reviews listed (50 for chinatown, 58 for street fighter). As far as I know, the OP is using the metacritic standard so you can't really count those intengibles.

BxN said:
Onyxmeth said:
BxN said:

edit:

As you can see, God of War is a lot more consistent and just plain better than the other two franchises.

As for Street fighter being lucky, maybe, but it's still sporting the 94 rating which is the same as Chinatown wars. They also have about the same amount of reviews listed (50 for chinatown, 58 for street fighter). As far as I know, the OP is using the metacritic standard so you can't really count those intengibles.

I'm not disagreeing with the quality of God of War. Out of the three series, it's the only one I absolutely love. The other two could go away and I wouldn't bat an eyelash. However, by Metacritic standards they have all peaked at exactly the same number. GOW is more consisitent, but you said "GOW was always more acclaimed" which just isn't true. There was a time in each series lifetimes when they each shared a similiar amount of praise.

Regarding SFIV, I was merely saying I believe the PS3 version is going to soon follow the 360 version down to a 93. It's reviews are trending lower, and I feel someone soon will give it a quick stab with another 80 or so and drop the average.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network
Onyxmeth said:

I'm going to go with GTA: Chinatown Wars also. The game is already running a healthy 94 and doesn't seem to be going down at all. It only has two reviews outside of the 90's.

If it's not that then I believe it's an unnanounced game, because I can't see anything currently announced getting a 95 or higher.

*parrots*

The Interweb is about overreaction, this is what makes it great!

...Imagine how boring the interweb would be if everyone thought logically?

griffinA said:
Actually what I'd like it to be is Muramasa: The Demon Blade. But the genre and game itself is too niche for it to get great recognized scores.

I don't think it will get enough reviews. =/

...But if it does I do think it will run in the 90's.

The Interweb is about overreaction, this is what makes it great!

...Imagine how boring the interweb would be if everyone thought logically?

Onyxmeth said:
BxN said:
Onyxmeth said:
BxN said:

edit:

I'm not disagreeing with the quality of God of War. Out of the three series, it's the only one I absolutely love. The other two could go away and I wouldn't bat an eyelash. However, by Metacritic standards they have all peaked at exactly the same number. GOW is more consisitent, but you said "GOW was always more acclaimed" which just isn't true. There was a time in each series lifetimes when they each shared a similiar amount of praise.

Regarding SFIV, I was merely saying I believe the PS3 version is going to soon follow the 360 version down to a 93. It's reviews are trending lower, and I feel someone soon will give it a quick stab with another 80 or so and drop the average.

Oh, I'm sorry I didn't interpret your first post correctly then.

As for Street Fighter 4, you might be right, but then again, the same thing could very well happen with GTA as well considering the limited amount of reviews it received (most 90+ games usually end up with at least 70-80 reviews while both GTA and SF4 only have 50-60). Also, the amount of new Street Fighter reviews hasn't really really been overwhelming over the past two weeks. But as of now, they are tied and there's a good chance that it will stay that way.

jammy2211 said:
Modern Warfare 2.

For some reason I strongly agree

BxN said:

Oh, I'm sorry I didn't interpret your first post correctly then.

As for Street Fighter 4, you might be right, but then again, the same thing could very well happen with GTA as well considering the limited amount of reviews it received (most 90+ games usually end up with at least 70-80 reviews while both GTA and SF4 only have 50-60). Also, the amount of new Street Fighter reviews hasn't really really been overwhelming over the past two weeks. But as of now, they are tied and there's a good chance that it will stay that way.

It could happen to both, one or neither of them. I just believe it's going to happen to Street Fighter IV. It's nothing factually based, just a feeling I have.