By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Who else doesn't give a hoot about VG Chartz game ratings?

Riot Of The Blood said:
VGchartz entire review system is bias and favors Nintendo and other Japanese games.

I would think that it's obvious...

You realize there's more than one of us. Right?

Around the Network

Here's a game rated higher than halo 3:
http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=973

Seriously, we need quality control for some of these reviews, that one is basically just an advertisement!

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

For arguably the millionth time (as people seems unable to use the search function) a review is not like a school paper. A 9.5 game is not 4% 'better' than a 9.1 game. We judge a game relative to everything else on its platform, and other systems don't even factor in.

Beyond that, I'm not explaining it yet again. If you don't like our reviews, don't read them.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Reasonable said:
Can I ask, because it fascinates me, what people view reviews as, and whether they see them as just opinions or not?

You see my view is based on film/music/book reviews, and those (well, those I consider true reviews) aren't just opinions, they are evaluations based on knowledge and experience of the medium, and built around a quantitative foundation.

For example the films acting, editing, composition, cinematography, etc. can all be factually considered and reviewed. The review isn't just an opinion but can, in a sense, be 'right' in pointing out poor acting, uneven editing, poor cinematography, etc.

I know this is sometimes seen as elitist, a minority claiming their views are superior to others, but I do believe its the truth that you can review something like 2001 or Citizen Kane or Alien or The Terminator and find a majority consensus they are excellent films, and superior to their peers. You will find consistency in how they are judged, the superior craft (and art) they exhibit.

I guess I expect the same for games but it seems that mostly (even by paid reviewers) a game review is little more than just an opinion. I also see the notion of value linked to length and whether the game has replay/online or not, rather than considering the game purely for itself and against its own goals. Due to the different nature of games this can massively skew scores. I've complained a few times regarding this sites use of value for this reason - applied simplistically it means a AAA SP experience can never equal a AAA online/replay experience, which I think is wrong.

But fundamentally what intrigues me is I see time and time posters in this forum saying 'it's only an opinion'.

So what do people think? Are videogame reviews just opinions? Should they be? Can't they be evaluated in a more consistent manner?

Am I just an old elitist... (you don't have to answer that last one!)

I see reviews purely as opinions. Yes, they can state that something in the game/movie/book wasn't well put together, below par with the rest of the movie, but as I see it, these things are only the means to an end. And the end is to give a qualified opinion on the subject.

But I also agree that the system used for reviewing games still has a ways to go before it can play with the big boys, but the problem with "value" in gaming terms, is that it is so diverse. I need a good SP before I can justify buying a game. In fact, most of the time, I wont care about the MP. But if I find a game for cheap, and I know it will be fun to play MP, then I might get enough value for my money, for me to buy it.

Strategyking92 said:

Seriously, we need quality control for some of these reviews, that one is basically just an advertisement!

good job picking a review from before VGChartz standardized the review system.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
Reasonable:

I would agree with you, but literary and cinematic criticism isn't that simple, either. There are schools which consider intent, and other such immeasurable things - it is why Ebert greatly enjoyed Michael Bay's Transformers.

There is no single standard for criticism.

Oh I know, I could write an article on it but that would take up too much space.  But there is no doubt that, out of Music, Film, Literature and Games it is game reviews that are by far and away the most inconsistent and open to interpretation, even allowing for new titles/approaches which can challenge accepted norms making them hard to review in the first place (just look at the first reviews for 2001, and compare its structure to the then (and even today) accepted norm for a film - in a sense for many reviewers it was in a sense impossible for them to review because they were trying to use a set of metrics and expectations that just didn't fit.

But my question wasn't about a single standard, but the fact of certain standards and the value of a review vs its just an opinion.

In the end reviews exist, or at least one of their primary reasons for existing, is to allow you to leverage the supposed knowledge of someone else to help you make choices where there are too many potentially available - i.e the reviewer isn't just another opinion, but someone with a great deal of knowledge and understanding of the medium, be that Art, Film, whatever.

With games that's clearly one of the main goals - but I feel that often game reviews are so biased to the reviewers own thoughts vs any form of standard (would you even credit a game reviewer as having better knowledge than you of videogames) that they are in danger of becoming useless.

Put it another way, while I don't always agree with them there are many film, music and literature reviews I value, whereas I really couldn't say the same for any videogame source.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Khuutra said:
Riot Of The Blood said:
VGchartz entire review system is bias and favors Nintendo and other Japanese games.

I would think that it's obvious...

You realize there's more than one of us. Right?

Yes sir.

On the other hand, you do realize that my criticism isn't directed toward any reviewer here, right?

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

What sethnintendo said. One of my personal favourite games ever, Gauntlet Legends for the N64, is at a 71% on Gamerankings. And you know what? I don't 'give a hoot'.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

...I agree that video game criticism has a long, long, long way to go.

You do what you can, though. You write reviews that fit within the needs for the channel you write for while expanding on what that might mean. Just write good reviews.

Actually, given this conversation, you might want to consider applying for a position yourself, if you have the time to review two games a month.

nordlead said:
Strategyking92 said:

good job picking a review from before VGChartz standardized the review system.

Just because it came before doesn't mean it should remain :-/

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive