By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Next Metal Gear Will Not Be As Epic (If Multiplatform)

The Next Metal Gear Will Not Be As Epic (If Multiplatform)

http://www.thegameraccess.com/

Where would video games be without good old Solid Snake? Snake’s gruff exterior, perfectly voiced by David Hayter, has entered the annals of gaming consciousness. Seriously, what other character in gaming could rock a cardboard box harder than Konami’s super spy? Mr. Hideo Kojima’s anime influenced sneaking series have had enthralled modern gamers since the early days of PSone. The Metal Gear Solid franchise created an entire sub-genre in action gaming paving the way for other such franchises as Splinter Cell.

Metal Gear Solid 4 was one the best games of last year. It had everything you could want from a piece of interactive entertainment: awesome set pieces, great graphics, stellar game play, and heartfelt emotion. The game touched the hearts of gamers all over the world. Well, almost. Despite selling well, the limited PS3 install base has hurt the overall sales of the game.

Despite the recent instalment of the Metal Gear Solid franchise being one of the most well thought out games this generation; it was Kojima’s choice to keep the game exclusive to the PlayStation 3 platform citing technical reasons, specifically: the size limitations of the Xbox 360 DVD discs. Kojima opted to stay with Sony’s big black box of Blu-ray.

If Kojima’s tribute to Solid Snake was on Xbox 360, it would most likely span multiple discs, quite possibly 3 or 4, and that would raise the production costs. Disc space is an issue that is not limited to Konami. Even Rockstar has mentioned that Microsoft has to do something about their limited disc space, because they always want to make their next entry into Grand Theft Auto franchise better and bigger. Furthermore, a game of this caliber would require specific packaging that allows it to hold multiple discs. Microsoft has managed to blunder this production aspect with their titles. The Lost Odyssey packaging in North America is cheap throw-away compared to the UK and Asian versions and even the Microsoft’s golden franchise; the Halo 3 Collector’s edition, shipped with discs that didn’t stay in their holder.

If the next Metal Gear (assuming Solid Snake’s odyssey is over) went multiplatform, there could be some funny consequences. The gaming mantra of bigger and better with every passing sequel couldn’t possibly happen if this franchise hit both the Xbox 360 and the PS3 at the same time. If Kojima wanted to make a bigger game than MGS4, he would be limited by the Xbox 360 disc infrastructure. This would leave stalwart PS3 fans confused with a sequel that lacks the narrative exposition of the previous title.

Don’t get me wrong, it would be better for gamers everywhere if the next Metal Gear went multiplatform because more people would be able to experience it and Konami would reap the reward financially. However, if Kojima does let the next Metal Gear goes multiplatform, it can’t be as large as the previous title. Kojima has made mention that his ideas for Metal Gear Solid 4 were still much larger than the final product. With this type of creative vision, system limitations should get in the way of a talented artist.

Let’s not run away from the facts here, the PS3 has proven that it’s more powerful than the 360, and is one of the reasons why Konami chose the PlayStation 3 platform in the first place. As a gamer, I do mind when a game is short changed due to hardware limitations. I want the fullest experience possible. Games and game consoles aren’t cheap and I want to see my systems being utilized in their full capacity. The same goes for any title, if game is was cut short or downgraded because of the limitations of the PS3, I would most definitely want it to stay exclusive to the Xbox 360. There are a lot of potential possibilities when it comes to the next Metal Gear title. At least I can say is: it’s definitely coming in full form to the PS3.

-------------------------------

i personally think it wont be as epic as mgs4 and will be a spin off title, i belive it might 360 exclusive for some reason. but most will agree its gonna be a multiplat.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network

I think these guys need to define what "large" means, because in a lot of ways, MGS4 was very small.

True

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

I didn't went through the whole post because it smelled bad(biased) enough already

That kind of propaganda has its place on the official playstation forum...

About gameraccess : "Hello and welcome to TheGamerAccess.com. My name is Nick McCandless and I am the Editor In Chief for TheGamerAccess.com. I have a strong passion for the video game industry and love being a gaming journalist. I enjoy writing artilcles, doing podcasts, and interacting with other gamers out there"

... you get the idea

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

Right i think it will suck if its multiplatform!!!

Being a cricket fan is much simpler and more fun
Around the Network
saimcheeda said:
Right i think it will suck if its multiplatform!!!

Why?

Hmmmm...I dunno for me I felt like MGS4 was the end of snakes legendary saga so Im not that hype for the next MGS if it will be called MGS.

personally i'm against this, no matter how good something is, it just comes a time when you gotta put an end to it

Yeah, I'm sure the game will be worse if it's released on two consoles instead of one... Wait, what?

Besides, I hate MGS4 with a passion so I don't even care. But that's off-topic so don't mind me.

I disagree. The meltdown would be quite epic.