By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What has gotten into Square Enix?

Kasz216 said:
forevercloud3000 said:
@Kasz
FF's before FFVII:1-3million
FFVII:9.7 million
All Main series FFs after FFVII:3+million

Dragon Quest is still a predominantly Japanese loved RPG, not so much in america. FF has universal appeal, most of that came after FFVII.

FF's Before FFVII: bellow 1million
FFVII:3+million in all territories
All Main series FFs after FFVII:1+million

I would say FFVII made a difference....

The massive Sony fronted marketing budget made the difference.

Without it Final Fantasy would be just like DQ.

Also you said it made "RPGS popular"  when it didnt.

DQ being a Japanese only phenomena proves this.

Though only thing Sony's 100 million dollar camaign did was make Final Fantasy popular.

There are 3 RPG series only with universal appeal.

Pokemon, Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts.

It made nothing popular but Final Fantasy.

Games like Persona for example owe nothing to FF7.

you are right. I did say "made RPGs popular" which may give too much power and credit to FFVII. But the game made a pretty big damn difference compared to any other JRPG.

FF now has GLOBAL appeal due to the FFVII(Whether it also bid on Sony's massive marketing campaign). It doesn't matter whether ALL JRPGs now sell millions or not.

The facts are...

Americans and PAL territories were not that interested in JRPGs before VII

JRPGs became more popular their after it.

FFs now sell more on a regular basis. They are JRPGs. So JRPGs sell more now.

EDIT:

Also, Gamers such as myself never looked twice at RPGs before FFVII came along. FFVII paved the way for me getting interested in them(now they are my fav genre. I have Persona 3 and 4 and love them).

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Around the Network
forevercloud3000 said:
Kasz216 said:
forevercloud3000 said:
@Kasz
FF's before FFVII:1-3million
FFVII:9.7 million
All Main series FFs after FFVII:3+million

Dragon Quest is still a predominantly Japanese loved RPG, not so much in america. FF has universal appeal, most of that came after FFVII.

FF's Before FFVII: bellow 1million
FFVII:3+million in all territories
All Main series FFs after FFVII:1+million

I would say FFVII made a difference....

The massive Sony fronted marketing budget made the difference.

Without it Final Fantasy would be just like DQ.

Also you said it made "RPGS popular"  when it didnt.

DQ being a Japanese only phenomena proves this.

Though only thing Sony's 100 million dollar camaign did was make Final Fantasy popular.

There are 3 RPG series only with universal appeal.

Pokemon, Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts.

It made nothing popular but Final Fantasy.

Games like Persona for example owe nothing to FF7.

you are right. I did say "made RPGs popular" which may give too much power and credit to FFVII. But the game made a pretty big damn difference compared to any other JRPG.

FF now has GLOBAL appeal due to the FFVII(Whether it also bid on Sony's massive marketing campaign). It doesn't matter whether ALL JRPGs now sell millions or not.

The facts are...

Americans and PAL territories were not that interested in JRPGs before VII

JRPGs became more popular their after it.

FFs now sell more on a regular basis. They are JRPGs. So JRPGs sell more now.

EDIT:

Also, Gamers such as myself never looked twice at RPGs before FFVII came along. FFVII paved the way for me getting interested in them(now they are my fav genre. I have Persona 3 and 4 and love them).

Did JRPGS really become more popular afterwords?

It doesn't look that way...  JRPGS largely are as niche as they always used to be. 

The marketing campaign is what made the difference not the game.  The campaign got you to play the game.

Why is it so popular to hate on Final Fantasy VII???

I mean even if it is not your cup of tea why bash it compared to other FFs? It is a good game regardless of story and for me the whole story was the cherry on top. I mean it wouldn't have the loyal fanbase it had if it sucked and so many spin-offs. It just really is popular to hate FFVII cause it gets praised more than VI,VII,and XI most of the time. People are just upset but I beleive if VIII/XI came out before VII it would have been the same story. I still would have loved them all the same.

There needs to be more FFVII love in here.

FootballFan - "GT has never been bigger than Halo. Now do a comparison between the two attach ratios and watch GT get stomped by Halo. Reach will sell 5 million more than GT5. Quote me on it."

NanakiXI said:

Why is it so popular to hate on Final Fantasy VII???

I mean even if it is not your cup of tea why bash it compared to other FFs? It is a good game regardless of story and for me the whole story was the cherry on top. I mean it wouldn't have the loyal fanbase it had if it sucked and so many spin-offs. It just really is popular to hate FFVII cause it gets praised more than VI,VII,and XI most of the time. People are just upset but I beleive if VIII/XI came out before VII it would have been the same story. I still would have loved them all the same.

There needs to be more FFVII love in here.

People accuse this... but the people who complain are often people who.... like me played it at launch.

The gameplay mechanics, the sound, the story.... all were sub par in comparison to previous games.

Even graphics wise i would argue were subpar compared to the SNES games outside of the cutscens.

I'll take 2D midgets over 3D polygons anyday.

@Kasz
your really being ignorant man

Around the Network
hatmoza 2.0 said:
@Kasz

Keep telling yourself that.

Nevermind the fact that i owned the game at launch.

Kasz216 said:
hatmoza 2.0 said:
@Kasz

Yes ! I will keep telling myself that . Your bashing a games graphics that came out 13 years ago

bravo !! enough said

Darc Requiem said:

I don't know why you even bothered to respond. Your rant only served to proved that you are more of Sony fanboy than a Square Enix fan.  Fans follow games not platforms. Also Third Parties can't "betray" console manufacturers. The whole purpose of being third party is to be able to place your software on whatever platform that you'd like. Sony has not given SE any financial incentive ala the PS1 days and doesn't have a overwhelming lead like they did in the PS2 days. As I said in my prior post, just grow up already.

@CGI Quality

Nintendo's decision to stick with the cartridge format was the main reason for the falling out between Square and Nintendo. With NEC, Sega, and Sony going to an optical disk format, Square Enix didn't want to be handicapped by the limited space and high costs of the cartridge format. Sony's financial incentives and NEC's failure were the reason Square choose Sony over Sega. At the time FFVII began it's development for Playstation the Saturn was outselling the Playstation in Japan by 2 to 1. In fact it was FFVII's release on PS that effectively ended the 1st place battle between the Saturn and Playstation in Japan.

On this whole betrayal topic, if it's Nintendo's fault (sticking with cartridges) for Square leaving them, then why does everyone try to bring this up when Sony fans say "SE betrayed us" as if the situation were the same? It wasn't a matter of "going to where the most profit could be made" when Square went to the PS1. They went to the PS1 in order to make games how they envisioned them, and cartridge wasn't going to cut it.

Now we have this gen, where the "betrayal" has NO immediate reason for happening, other M$ bribery.

hatmoza 2.0 said:
Kasz216 said:
hatmoza 2.0 said:
@Kasz

Yes ! I will keep telling myself that . Your bashing a games graphics that came out 13 years ago

bravo !! enough said

Compared to a game that came out before it.

How is that ignorant?

I'm not comparing it to FF9.  I'm comparing it to FF6.

FF6 had better graphics though they were 2D.

Did you play FF7 when it first came out?

Isnt it ironic that PS3-only people are complaining about SE games quality? Always amazes me how people who have never played SO4 and Last Remnant are calling these games "garbage".