By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Balance Board has almost outsold PS3, says Nintendo

MasterZack said:
The Balance Board will stop selling at one point, the PS3 will follow his life.

Are we completely sure about that? I mean obviously it has to die down at some point, market saturation being what it is, but what makes us think that will be anytime soon? It's Japanese anniversary has come and gone and it's still chugging along over there: in the U.S. it's doing better now than it did in its debut months.

And remember that so far the only way to get a copy is to purchase Wii Fit: sooner or later you'll be able to buy the Balance Board by itself for use in other titles. Plus, I'd be surprised if Nintendo, after pimping the thing at its keynote speech just yesterday, doesn't have more Balance Board games coming itself.

(NOTE TO EVERYONE: I WANT TO TAKE SNOZZLE UP ON HIS SUGGESTION: IF YOU REALLY HAVE A NTSC BALANCE BOARD THAT YOU REALLY AREN'T USING, YOU'VE GOT AN INTERESTED BUYER RIGHT HERE)

Around the Network
noname2200 said:

(NOTE TO EVERYONE: I WANT TO TAKE SNOZZLE UP ON HIS SUGGESTION: IF YOU REALLY HAVE A NTSC BALANCE BOARD THAT YOU REALLY AREN'T USING, YOU'VE GOT AN INTERESTED BUYER RIGHT HERE)

Yeah I'm sure I could find a home for one of these "dustballs". Somehow I don't think I will get any takers....

XBL: WiiVault Wii: PM me  PSN: WiiVault

PC: AMD Athlon II Quadcore 635 (OC to 4.0ghz) , ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (x2)

MacBook Pro C2D 2.8ghz, 9600m GT 512 iMac: C2D 2.0, X2600XT 256

He's right it is a "platform"

CURRENTLY PLAYING:  Warframe, Witcher 2

Bokal said:
And 9 out of 10 of them are gathering dust under the couch?

Dude! Nice troll,They put the PS3 back underthere beds gawd!

Along with there Red Ringed Xbox 360s!

soulsamurai said:
He's right it is a "platform"

Such an obvious joke, and yet no one has said it yet (though I may have skimmed past it)

As such, I think you willl have to be awarded this thread.... if only you had said that within the first few posts.

Around the Network

i looked through the whole thread to see if someone posted that, but alas i was dissapointed. Someone had to do it :P

CURRENTLY PLAYING:  Warframe, Witcher 2

noname2200 said:
MasterZack said:
The Balance Board will stop selling at one point, the PS3 will follow his life.

Are we completely sure about that? I mean obviously it has to die down at some point, market saturation being what it is, but what makes us think that will be anytime soon? It's Japanese anniversary has come and gone and it's still chugging along over there: in the U.S. it's doing better now than it did in its debut months.

And remember that so far the only way to get a copy is to purchase Wii Fit: sooner or later you'll be able to buy the Balance Board by itself for use in other titles. Plus, I'd be surprised if Nintendo, after pimping the thing at its keynote speech just yesterday, doesn't have more Balance Board games coming itself.

Well, essentially, games live on buzz. So before the DS, games died of fast. Adds were on the air for tops a month, and then they stopped advertising. By 3 months, there was (generally) a game in the same genre of the same quality out. But, it was newer, so a shopkeep would rather offer you this game than the older one.

That's not happening to Wii Fit. I still see adds for it. Sure, it's total add time here in the freezing norths might not be bigger than the LBP total time, but it's been there steadily for over half a year now. Advertising wise, it might be better advertised than the Ps3. I wouldn't know though, as the adverts I see are all in a minor country.

So in that aspect, Wii Fit isn't a game.

Additionally, there's the balance board, as you mentioned. I'm not sure if you will ever be able to buy it standalone. (I doubt it).

Then there's another thing.

Even if Wii Fit dies of before the Ps3... Could it have a big enough gap?

Let's have a regional breakdown for the year.

Japan:

Wii Fit: 281K

Ps3: 330K

Others:

Wii Fit: 1357K

Ps3: 923K

Americas:

Wii Fit: 2241K

Ps3: 795K

Total:

Wii Fit: 3879K

Ps3: 2048K

Difference: 1831K

Weekly difference: 166K

And of course, the LTD (just for reference, nobody posted it).

Wii Fit: 17570K

Ps3: 21401K

Difference: 3831K

That's less than 4M.

Fun fact:

People talk about the Ps3 tracking above the X360. Let's check this out with Wii Fit.

48 weeks in Others:

Wii Fit: 7089K

Wii: 3816K

Ps3: 1779K

X360: 1759K

44 weeks in Americas

Wii Fit: 7174K

Wii: 5128K

Ps3: 2027K

X360: 2867K

And finally, 69 weeks in Japan

Wii Fit: 3306K

Wii: 5660K

Ps3: 1973K

X360: 367K

Total:

Wii Fit: 17569K

Wii: 14604K

Ps3: 5779K

X360: 4993K

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Oyvoyvoyv said:

That's not happening to Wii Fit. I still see adds for it. Sure, it's total add time here in the freezing norths might not be bigger than the LBP total time, but it's been there steadily for over half a year now. Advertising wise, it might be better advertised than the Ps3. I wouldn't know though, as the adverts I see are all in a minor country.

So in that aspect, Wii Fit isn't a game.

It's not just Scandanavia that's experiencing this: here in the U.S. they're still advertising Wii Fit very steadily with T.V. ads, billboards, and the whole lot. Nintendogs, Brain Age, and New Super Mario Bros. are enjoying similar treatment. That can't be the only criteria for calling it a non-game, or else we kick out New Super Mario Bros. as well (which is even older than Wii Fit!)

Additionally, there's the balance board, as you mentioned. I'm not sure if you will ever be able to buy it standalone. (I doubt it).

Honestly, I'd be very surprised if this didn't happen, once supply of Wii Fit starts to catch up with demand. I'm confident that Nintendo wants to push the Balance Board on everyone, not just the (tens of millions of) people who play Wii Fit.

Then there's another thing.

Even if Wii Fit dies of before the Ps3... Could it have a big enough gap?

Let's have a regional breakdown for the year.

Japan:

Wii Fit: 281K

Ps3: 330K

Others:

Wii Fit: 1357K

Ps3: 923K

Americas:

Wii Fit: 2241K

Ps3: 795K

Total:

Wii Fit: 3879K

Ps3: 2048K

Difference: 1831K

Weekly difference: 166K

And of course, the LTD (just for reference, nobody posted it).

Wii Fit: 17570K

Ps3: 21401K

Difference: 3831K

That's less than 4M.

Fun fact:

People talk about the Ps3 tracking above the X360. Let's check this out with Wii Fit.

48 weeks in Others:

Wii Fit: 7089K

Wii: 3816K

Ps3: 1779K

X360: 1759K

44 weeks in Americas

Wii Fit: 7174K

Wii: 5128K

Ps3: 2027K

X360: 2867K

And finally, 69 weeks in Japan

Wii Fit: 3306K

Wii: 5660K

Ps3: 1973K

X360: 367K

Total:

Wii Fit: 17569K

Wii: 14604K

Ps3: 5779K

X360: 4993K

Hadn't realized the numbers were that big in Wii Fit's favor. Good Lord, that thing really is a beast unto itself...

I'm not sure that Wii Fit will ever pass the PS3 worldwide, especially if the latter gets a price cut, but the fact that it's plausible says something in Wii Fit's favor. I'm also stunned to see that more Wii Fits were moved since its debuts than actual Wiis, especially in Europe. Still, the PS3's making a comeback in Japan!

Wii fit will outsell the PS3 because there are many games that are going to be using the board in the future

It's guaranteed. Price cut or no price cut. Wii Fit will continue to sell for years, it'll be like Norton Antivirus invading the UK and Irish software charts I used to look at.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.