By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Who here knows it is illegal to..

BenKenobi88 said:
Yeah, you can't as easily call it stealing, but IT IS. Listen, I do it too, but that doesn't mean it's not stealing. Just because it's not as bad to you as stealing a CD, you're getting the same music WITHOUT PAYING FOR IT.

I think a lot of downloaders have deluded themselves into completely believing that there is nothing wrong with taking things that cost money without paying for them.

Except that it cost virtually nothing to make downloadable music especially if you dont use the companies servers and files. The problem is they are overcharging and everyone knows it. If their prices were more reasonable and justified for the amount of work being done then many wouldnt bother with illegal downloads. Reality is that songs shouldnt cost much more than $0.10 cents to download.

If a million people download the song then it takes in $100k. Please dont tell me that musicians should earn more than that selling COPIES of a single song.

- A soundproof studio can be built for less than $25k with computerized equipment using modern tech.
- Most songs only take a few weeks to write and perfect and even for a month of work, $100k is a lot of money
- Anyone and their mother can compress a song and distribute it over the net at about $10 a month (for internet access) using a peer to peer network.
- You only need 1 person to help produce the song and compress it for internet

Split the money in between producer and artist and thats a lot of money for the amount of work actually done. That puts them in-line with the rest of the world in terms of income and we are not even taking into account live performance where they can make millions per concert. Hell... you could even forgo the entire profiting from copies entirely and artists (and their crews/managers) could still make millions if they are actually good enough to perform live. To me copies of music are no different than listening to the radio for free. In fact I dont see the distinction especially if you have a good radio signal or premium radio.

Around the Network

There is a reason their hasn't been a successful band this decade. Killing music isn't going to help anyone. Now-a days kids just like rap, which is 80% liked because of a dance move. Pop? don't get me started. There hasn't been one band that people will remember. Wow that was a great band from the 00s, know what? it is only going to get worse. Concerts cost tons more then a 12 dollar CD. Really people, stop being lazy.

Wiitendo said:
There is a reason their hasn't been a successful band this decade. Killing music isn't going to help anyone. Now-a days kids just like rap, which is 80% liked because of a dance move. Pop? don't get me started. There hasn't been one band that people will remember. Wow that was a great band from the 00s, know what? it is only going to get worse. Concerts cost tons more then a 12 dollar CD. Really people, stop being lazy.

I bolded the extra dumb parts.

- There have been planty of very successful acts in the past 5 years, and definitly ones people will remember.

- Kids like rap for the same reason kids liked grunge of the early 90s, for the same reason kids liked big hair metal in the 80s, for the same reasons kids like prog rock in the 70s.....

- The only shows that cost more than "tons" more than cds are the big stars in stadiums, you know, successful bands.

Same shit, different decade. Really, learn something about music. 

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Wiitendo said:

Yeah, it's really expensive when I pay $15 to see a concert with three acts. Breaks the bank.

There hasn't been a successful band this decade? What on earth is your definition of success? There are hundreds, probably thousands of musicians who make a living off of their art worldwide.

If you're bothered that there hasn't been a Beatles or a U2 in the new century, don't be. What you're seeing is a diversification of musical tastes brought on by cheaper, easier music production and distribution. This has broken the oligopolistic stranglehold that had been developing since the 60s and sparked a reneissance of independant music. There are far too many genres of music and genuinely creative artists nowadays for a single, original sound to emerge and claim dominance. Music has gotten more competitive, and that's a good thing for all music lovers. Illegal downloads are a factor in this trend, but there are plenty of legitimate channels also driving the phenomemon.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

marc said:
BenKenobi88 said:
Yeah, you can't as easily call it stealing, but IT IS. Listen, I do it too, but that doesn't mean it's not stealing. Just because it's not as bad to you as stealing a CD, you're getting the same music WITHOUT PAYING FOR IT.

I think a lot of downloaders have deluded themselves into completely believing that there is nothing wrong with taking things that cost money without paying for them.

Except that it cost virtually nothing to make downloadable music especially if you dont use the companies servers and files. The problem is they are overcharging and everyone knows it. If their prices were more reasonable and justified for the amount of work being done then many wouldnt bother with illegal downloads. Reality is that songs shouldnt cost much more than $0.10 cents to download.

If a million people download the song then it takes in $100k. Please dont tell me that musicians should earn more than that selling COPIES of a single song.

- A soundproof studio can be built for less than $25k with computerized equipment using modern tech.
- Most songs only take a few weeks to write and perfect and even for a month of work, $100k is a lot of money
- Anyone and their mother can compress a song and distribute it over the net at about $10 a month (for internet access) using a peer to peer network.
- You only need 1 person to help produce the song and compress it for internet

Split the money in between producer and artist and thats a lot of money for the amount of work actually done. That puts them in-line with the rest of the world in terms of income and we are not even taking into account live performance where they can make millions per concert. Hell... you could even forgo the entire profiting from copies entirely and artists (and their crews/managers) could still make millions if they are actually good enough to perform live. To me copies of music are no different than listening to the radio for free. In fact I dont see the distinction especially if you have a good radio signal or premium radio.

Hey guess what.  Your entire post?  Doesn't matter.

I don't care how much it costs to make each song...or each mp3 even.  Yeah, it costs them virtually nothing, so what?

The point is, it does cost something, and when you download a song from torrents or P2P programs, you are taking something that normally costs money.  That is, in fact, illegal, and it's NOT an argument!

If you would like to argue about why you think it's ok to download music for free (because it costs studios and artists virtually nothing to produce mp3s) then be my guest.  That's not what I'm talking about.  I'm telling you, it is illegal, and you ARE taking property that is supposed to cost money.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

^^ Yeah I know its comletely illegal to download musik you don´t pay for, but there are some gray areas there too. What happens when I make a mix CD of musik I like and give it to a friend is he/she stealing that musik ??? Can I record songs of the radio or internet-radio and ceep them legally ???

I have never purchased a music CD, or paid for music on iTunes, in my entire life. I have always, and will always, download music, for free, off of Limewire. I do pay for movies though. It's nicer to watch movies on a big T.V., rather than on a computer screen.

dallas said:
BenKenobi88 said:
I suppose. You still are in possession of music you did not pay for...that has to be illegal somehow...even if you'll never get caught.

And also...not allowing others to download from you is just leeching...and if everyone did that the system wouldn't work...

Well people often compare the legality of downloading to stealing.....which isn't really accurate because the person that you are downloading from isn't charging. As for your second point, I wholeheartedly agree, but that is the irony of the situation that you introduce when you try to protect yourself. Either way, I've downloaded in the past but I don't think that the feds will be banging on my door anytime soon for having done something that most of america basically does.

That said kenobi, I'm in the middle about this whole music downloading stuff. Sure, its bringing a lot of music companies down - sony included- but the music companies are just going to have to learn to deal with the new technology and adapt with it. Thats been the story of business since the first caveman sold the first stone wheel. Btw, I don't download music anymore, b/c doing that has put way too many bugs on my computer in the past and I hate having to reinstall XP and deal with reinstalling everything that I want to use. Have you ever downloaded a song and once you've played it, you heard a few seconds of good music and then static? I think that the music companies are putting these "fake" mp3s out there to shake up the music download system...I wouldn't be surprised if they just let a bunch of mp3s with viruses attached either.

Thats true , its illegal only if the site mentions this in there main page , if not nobody can tuch you . 

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

BenKenobi88 said:

While I don't disagree that it is illegal (depending on where you live in the world), it clearly is not stealing. This is even recognised by US and numorous other countries laws. In the US, stealing is a criminal offense, however, copyright infrigement is a civil offense (so you can't serve jail time). The whole reason copyright law exists is because the laws for stealing were insufficent and did not cover copyright infringement related offenses.

Most people use a car example, but usually don't explain it very well so I'll try and do better. If you have a ferrari, and I come around and duplicate it by building my own parts entirely, I have commited the exact same offense as copying a cd (plus I've probably commited patent infringement too in this case), yet, have I stolen the ferrari from you or anyone else? The design of the car is covered by copyright, and by duplicating the car I have infringed on this. 

In regards to cost, this has little to do with legality and is primarily an argument in regards to the length of copyright, market sustainability, etc and is beyond the scope of this thread.

El Duderino said:
^^ Yeah I know its comletely illegal to download musik you don´t pay for, but there are some gray areas there too. What happens when I make a mix CD of musik I like and give it to a friend is he/she stealing that musik ??? Can I record songs of the radio or internet-radio and ceep them legally ???

No duderino, its not illegal to download music movies or anything else, but it is illegal to broadcast what you do download for either profit or just to have your friends over at your house to watch a movie that you've downloaded.  Also, the act of others downloading from you is considered broadcasting, so if you let others download from you, you are breaking the standard interpretation of the law.  And btw, all of this applies to the U.S only.