By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Who here knows it is illegal to..

BenKenobi88 said:
marc said:
BenKenobi88 said:
Yeah, you can't as easily call it stealing, but IT IS. Listen, I do it too, but that doesn't mean it's not stealing. Just because it's not as bad to you as stealing a CD, you're getting the same music WITHOUT PAYING FOR IT.

I think a lot of downloaders have deluded themselves into completely believing that there is nothing wrong with taking things that cost money without paying for them.

Except that it cost virtually nothing to make downloadable music especially if you dont use the companies servers and files. The problem is they are overcharging and everyone knows it. If their prices were more reasonable and justified for the amount of work being done then many wouldnt bother with illegal downloads. Reality is that songs shouldnt cost much more than $0.10 cents to download.

If a million people download the song then it takes in $100k. Please dont tell me that musicians should earn more than that selling COPIES of a single song.

- A soundproof studio can be built for less than $25k with computerized equipment using modern tech.
- Most songs only take a few weeks to write and perfect and even for a month of work, $100k is a lot of money
- Anyone and their mother can compress a song and distribute it over the net at about $10 a month (for internet access) using a peer to peer network.
- You only need 1 person to help produce the song and compress it for internet

Split the money in between producer and artist and thats a lot of money for the amount of work actually done. That puts them in-line with the rest of the world in terms of income and we are not even taking into account live performance where they can make millions per concert. Hell... you could even forgo the entire profiting from copies entirely and artists (and their crews/managers) could still make millions if they are actually good enough to perform live. To me copies of music are no different than listening to the radio for free. In fact I dont see the distinction especially if you have a good radio signal or premium radio.

Hey guess what. Your entire post? Doesn't matter.

I don't care how much it costs to make each song...or each mp3 even. Yeah, it costs them virtually nothing, so what?

The point is, it does cost something, and when you download a song from torrents or P2P programs, you are taking something that normally costs money. That is, in fact, illegal, and it's NOT an argument!

If you would like to argue about why you think it's ok to download music for free (because it costs studios and artists virtually nothing to produce mp3s) then be my guest. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm telling you, it is illegal, and you ARE taking property that is supposed to cost money.

Gee thanks for telling me that my opinion doesnt matter... because hey the world revolves around you. Your idea of legality is not the same as my own. To me laws are fluid and always changing whereas to you they are obviously written in kryptonite between supermans backside. If I cannot argue why a law is wrong on moral and/or ethical grounds then there is no point to anything in this post because it has already been written by some omnipotent power and no one would be breaking the law.

Anyway, I was simply pointing out how obsurd the industry is. Also, as others have pointed out above, there is no stealing happening here for the most part so you are wrong.

Around the Network

wow getting serious arent we all?

did you no its illegal to drive a taxi in melbourne (aus) without having a bundle of hay in the boot?

a.l.e.x59 said:
I have never purchased a music CD, or paid for music on iTunes, in my entire life. I have always, and will always, download music, for free, off of Limewire. I do pay for movies though. It's nicer to watch movies on a big T.V., rather than on a computer screen.

Do you have a laptop with an S-Video socket? You can easily hook it up with your TV and watch your downloaded movies there. That's what I do.

i dont like limewire :P

waterbear91 said:
i dont like limewire :P

More power to you. :)

Around the Network

I know limewire is illegal, I but CDs like a true U2 fanboy! XD

Creating an alter-ego to continue bumping your own posts, Wiitendo? Not cool.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

if you havnt noticed now artists like daughtry, elliot yamin, and others have myspace pages with their music singles on their pages for download. more and more artists are realizing that if they put their music out there for free and people likes it alot it will increase sales for the tours, cd, video's etc.

dick cheney loves me, he wants to take me hunting

mkwii code- 1977-0565-0049

BenKenobi88 said:
Creating an alter-ego to continue bumping your own posts, Wiitendo? Not cool.

I'm just curious... is there something wrong with bumping a thread?

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout

Eh. Not if you consistently bump your topic because nobody's talking on it.

And this new guy comes in and his first 4 posts are all in Wiitendo's threads that have fallen off the frontpage. This comes after I've told Wiitendo to stop bumping his threads.

If people are done talking in a thread, there's no reason to bump it, unless you've got something to say.

Waiting for over 24 hours and then coming in to say "I agree!" or other little short sentences to get the thread back up annoys me.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )