By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - A State of the Union for the Playstation 3

I applaud you for this thread and you are not even drunk.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network

"..or that the PS3 will ever be better value as a GAMES console (Blu-Ray not withstanding) than the Xbox 360."

"But Zenfolder is discussing quantifiable fact."

First.. I love how threads with opinions always has the word FACT in them.
And secondly. I like how you removed 50% of the console with that first line.

As if I were to go "..the 360 will never be as good of a HOME ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM (Games not withstanding) as the PS3. "

Brilliant! Just brilliant. You and Greenberg can start a PR company. Amazing!

MAFKKA said:

As if I were to go "..the 360 will never be as good of a HOME ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM (Games not withstanding) as the PS3. "

50% of the console has shown no tangible benefit for games and many tangible drawbacks (namely price and userbase).

If you wanted to make the argument that the PS3 is a better Home Entertainment System than the Xbox 360, where how entertainment is defined as movie and music playback etc, I would probably agree with you.

But games-wise, content is king.  And frankly, the Xbox 360 comfortably has the PS3 beaten here.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

wow this is actually the first useful post I've seen for you since I found VGC.

I almost agree with every thing you wrote for once

I still think the console is great and better "IN MY OPINION" than X360 (I don't own a Wii don't think that I will ever do)

the only thing missing is better online features and an integrated Party system much like the 360 and I will be 100% happy as long as good games keep coming from sony or third parties

I think all my conosoles are great:) I don't think any of them suck really. Although there are some things that annoy me on the ps3 (like the terrible install times) and wii I still enjoy them very much.

Around the Network
SpartanFX said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

It seems to me that, for far too long, we've been getting very excited about the prospect of this console "not sucking."

Early this gen, many of us pretty much wrote it off, but it made a comeback. It didn't become an epic console. Basically, it just started to not suck.

Unfortunately, we're treating the PS3's ability to not suck, as if it won the superbowl. Here are just a few specific examples of this fanbased ignorance:

A. We get excited because the PS3's software sales are "starting to catch up to the 360."

B. We get super-pumped over the biggest console exclusive for the PS3 selling 4 million LTD.

C. We call the big three AAA exclusive games on the PS3 "the best games in their genre," and/or "the best game/s of all time."

D. We flame multiplatform games, if they don't sell well on the PS3, despite their quality, like Bioshock. We also make up conditions as to why certain didn't meet expectations(ie: "sold well for a new IP" or "sold well for February" ect.)

This generation is very polarizing and its very sad to see that in most cases, this bias has spread through the veins of most videogame entheusiast reporters.

Now, there are a few things we need to remember about the PS3 before we start clamoring over how great the console has done this generation, by pulling itself out of the muck that it started from:

1. The console still has very poor Jrpg support by any standard. This is a travesty we can place directly on Sony's head.

2. Sony has decided to no longer support 3rd party exclusive games, instead concentrating on its first and second party party, admittedly western-centric titles, at cost to Sony fans, with profits as a motive. This is in stark contrast to the gamer-centric strategy of Sony's main competition. The Lost and the Damned, for instance, is a AAA loss likely due directly to Sony's cheapness.lool like X360 is getting 3rd party excluisves left and right and please by all means keep GTA:L&D

This has also led to the loss of every major 3rd party Playstation brand associated game, from DMC to FFXIII, to Tekken, as well as a wealth of DLC.Xbox has alos lost many excluisves to PS like doom and NG and bioshock and,....

3. The PS3 is still on pace to easily end up in 3rd place this gen, and in fact, it is almost impossible mathematically to come up with any scenerio which would keep the PS3 out of dead last. The PS3 lost this generation. The gamecube also, didn't suck.

4. Even if it didn't lose this generation, which it did, the console still went from the most epic of wins, the PS2, to a degredation of its namesake, the near ruination of the Playstation brand, and all of this is attributed directly to Sony's attempt to push early adoption of Blu-Ray at the expense of its gaming fanbase.as long as they learn from it ,,it's fine (meaning not to launch another $700 console)

4. The console still costs 399 dollars. This, above all else, is an unacceptable fiasco.

5. The console is still significantly behind in game library according to the quantifiable methods of determination, aggregate reviews and/or overall game sales. This is an admittedly weak point, but still, it's the only quantifiable methods we have to determine such things as game library quality and more importantly, game library popularity.if you tale off your sony hate glasses you see that on sony side there many many great games and it's growing at a faster rate compared to X360.

6. HOME has been underwhelming, and XBL is still the superior online service by most accounts, despite huge steps Sony has taken to make the services equal.

7. Sony actually and purposefully removed Backwards Compatibility, in what we can only assume was an attempt to sell more Playstation 2s. This is an insult to all consumers, and equivelant to a price hike.

Now, sure, the PS3 has many things going for it.

1. Graphics are currently superior to the main competition, judging by Killzone 2.

2. Free online gaming.

3. Blu-Ray player.

4. Exclusive lineup for 09 appears to be good and/or great.

5. Sony has done a good job of feature chasing with HOME, controller, and trophies.

These, however, aren't the dominant claims of a winning console.

These are the braggotries of a console's fanbase, discussing a console which many expected to suck, but which actually ended up not sucking.

Just remember this console's position. Not everyone is as entheuiastic as you are about it, but that doesn't mean it's a bad console, however, in an effort to prove it doesn't suck, most of you hype it as the second coming. This isn't the Playstation 1.

The PS3 doesn't suck.

Celebrating that is fine, but let's not go overboard.

Flamers, if you must....get to it.

Responses are edited in your post

PS3 is a very very good console and you putting this much time to type these non sense just shows your haterd for sony which is fine by me.but don't make your thoughts rule and shove it in our faces.

to me PS3>>>>>>>X360 (from both hardware and software point of view)and there is no way anyone can change that for me.

Stop being so bitter about PS3.

I would be more worried about X360 09 line up rather than writing this non sense to make you feel better.

He isn't bitter, he's telling the truth that Sony loyalists are so afraid to admit. He never said the system sucked; he stated that it deserves third place and Sony's actions this gen will keep it in third. I would be less worried about jumping on him about it and more worried that Sony has no plans to drop price anytime soon.

MAFKKA said:

"..or that the PS3 will ever be better value as a GAMES console (Blu-Ray not withstanding) than the Xbox 360."

"But Zenfolder is discussing quantifiable fact."

First.. I love how threads with opinions always has the word FACT in them.

The PS3 has Blu Ray while the 360 has Netflix. I'll take Netflix. The PS3 is only superior based on power. Substance > showboating in the entertainment genre.

If I already own a PS3 why the hell should I care about a price drop or not?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

axumblade said:
The PS3 doesn't suck. <~ Can I Quote you on that for the next time I see you blasting the PS3 for no apparent reason?

He's right, the PS3 doesn't suck. It definitely deserves last place though. Sony needs to go back to the drawing board.

"50% of the console has shown no tangible benefit for games and many tangible drawbacks (namely price and userbase).

If you wanted to make the argument that the PS3 is a better Home Entertainment System than the Xbox 360, where how entertainment is defined as movie and music playback etc, I would probably agree with you.

But games-wise, content is king.  And frankly, the Xbox 360 comfortably has the PS3 beaten here."

But that's what im getting at. You cant just remove features to your liking until you see fit that its less of a console than any other. If you're to remove Blu Ray and than do some .. weird.. comparisson to make the other look better. Because then I can do the same and go "Well entertainment-wise, content is king. And frankly, the PS3 has the 360 beaten here."

You just cant do that. It makes no sense what so ever.