By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - A State of the Union for the Playstation 3

Aj_habfan said:

My turn:

Valid opinions sir, I applaud you. I have no arguments.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

I don't recall sony paying for any third party exclusives last gen so could they all of a sudden gotten cheap on pay for them. I know they paid for exclusives with the ps1 but that was like 10+ years ago.

On another note Sony made killzone 2 at expense to them selves because they are continuing to do push games for everyone. Its easy to see the gameplan the software side of sony was looking to accomplish. Have a 1st party game in every genre. Sony planned way ahead focusing on first party games since the console came out.

MAFKKA said:
Why WOULD we be pissed at blu ray? I dont get it. Why would we settle for anything less than modern standards? What is it that's sooo bad about your playstation? What games is it that you really feel you're missing out on? And why the hell arent you getting yourself another console that supports these games you're lacking? I just dont get you. What is the true issue here? Are you scared that Sony will be no more?

No sir. I'm not pissed at anyone. Like many other, I expected the PS3 to expand upon the PS2, and become the new standard for gaming. However, it had a very dissapointing first year. An opinion that many people refuse to acknowledge. I also feel that it didn't manage the 3rd party support I expected, and for that I blame the addition of expensive and unimportant Sony propreitary technology "Blu-Ray," along with several hamfisted and greedy business decisions that elevated profit above gamers. Sony isn't selling the console at a loss to help you out. They are doing it because people would never buy it otherwise. Sony isn't dropping 3rd party support in favor of 1st party games, in an attempt to improve the quality of their library. They are doing it because 1st party games are more profitable. The end result of these profit based decisions didn't figure in consumer response. It was just assumed that we would remain brand loyal no matter what. Many people did. Many did not. The gaming sector wasn't the only area in which Sony failed, businesswise in recent years, and the company isn't in the best of financial situations as a result. Once again, we should care abou the end result, rather than making excuses for why it ended up how it did. Forgive the text crit.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

grimygunz said:
I don't recall sony paying for any third party exclusives last gen so could they all of a sudden gotten cheap on pay for them. I know they paid for exclusives with the ps1 but that was like 10+ years ago.

On another note Sony made killzone 2 at expense to them selves because they are continuing to do push games for everyone. Its easy to see the gameplan the software side of sony was looking to accomplish. Have a 1st party game in every genre. Sony planned way ahead focusing on first party games since the console came out.

That's one opinion. I, on the other hand, feel that Playstation owes its success to 3rd parties, and always has. On the Playstation, Squaresoft, Namco, Capcom, and Konami drove my gaming purchases. Would the Playstation 1 still be the greatest console if FFVII, VIII, Tactics, Vagrant Story, MGS, SotN, and Tekken III were multipat games, while we made do with Gran Turismo and Twisted Metal?

Sony first party games are great, however, I agree. Still, I think the 1st/2nd party strategy was more about the increased profitability of those games, and less about being able to stand alone. Anecdotally, MGS4 is the best reason to own a PS3 this gen, and were FFXIII still exclusive, then the console would be a keeper for sure, even at a 400 dollar price point, but that's just my personal opinion.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

You want a real post? All right. I'll make one after I eat.

Around the Network

Who is this "we" you keep referring to?

I feel like I just read a US State of the Union address that was written by a European or something.

EDIT:  Btw, I feel like your points are valid towards the many PS3 fanboys who do act delusional or have unrealistic expectations or who try to play down the competition.  But I also think that it's unfair to group all PS3 supporters (which I am one) in one lump and assume that we are all as extreme as you make us out to be.

I see you keep talking about how Sony needs more JRPGs, as a gamer I agree.

But outside of Pokemon, JRPGs have been shunned by the West.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Mkey.

The only thing that keeps xbox going is halo 3 and gears of war 2. And ofcourse the arcade version of the xbox, wich their mom bought them.

Its growing fast every day now, i personally think it WILL get second place before its over,considering the games coming and i think people will get tired of the endless failure rate of the xbox. Xbox live looks better, but its the same as psn really, nothing different about the two if you ask me, only that psn is free.

When it comes to endless options on your console the ps3 easily wins, i personally think thats very very important. And ofcourse, copy music and movies onto yer ps3. Backup your whole hdd, install a new harddrive VERY easily. Its the cheapest and probably best home enterntainment system there is. I mean, what CANT you do on the ps3?:P

2 reasons for 360 sales.

Cheap arcade version, wich the mom buys for the kids.

And microsoft's wallet.

1: Poor support? Just look at japan, ps3, and the RPG's it has.. The 360 couldn't pull off those numbers, ever.

2: The 360 has lost exclusive's to playstation aswell, god forbid Playstation loses some to 360. And lost and the damned?.. Err no thanks (wouldn't buy it anyways).

3: I could care LESS what place it's in, PS3 being in last place has had literally NO affect what-so-ever to me, they are still bringing me the games I love.

4: Sony learned from their mistake, mad because poor?

5: Quality > Quantity, enough said.

6: PSN is better imo, i'm one of the few who fail to see why XBL is so superior, and PSN is free.

7: Okay?

i dont agree or disagree, like the op i just have my own opinion.

1. video gaming is HOME entertainment!
2. BR being part of the ps3 was a Sony corp. choice being feasible looking at the larger picture for both gaming and movies. it worked out cheaper and better than the hd add on for the 360.
3. who needs netfix if you can stream online on the ps3 browser for free?
4. as a business sony's gameplan makes perfect sense. want to know what it is? staying afloat not marketshare. therefore it is irrelevant wether the ps3 is in 3rd place or 2nd, they fighting a different battle.
5. yes, i agree with starcraft, substance > showboating, just as quality is better than quantity, just as having variation and options is better than having none or less. metacritic may have more 360 AAA games, but the ps3 offers more variety of them.
6. although it is just opinion but the following may give a better understanding:

r2= more fun and content than halo
kz2= more fun than any mp on 360
ms:pr= most fun off road racer and or arcade racer
lbp= best platformer
vc= best jrpg
forbidden siren= best survival horror
flower= most innovative and original game
gt5p= most realistic driving sim and original as well as progressive with the gt.tv addition for car enthusiasts such as myself
mgs4=best stealth game
uncharted= best action adventure game
peripherals= cheaper, since they arent brand restricted ( hdd, headsets)

quality over quantity agreed! substance over showboating agreed! imo, a console which provides quality variety over quantity is worth every penny as well as 1st place this gen. however, this is just my view on the topic, the ps3 far from sucks and deserves better than 3rd place.

p.s. i fully agree, fanboys should quit overhyping every sony exclusive. their victory cries are like premature ejaculation, they just come to quick.