By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Official Shigeru Miyamoto Keynote @ GDC Thread

It has just started - all the news in here guys !!

Around the Network

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/03/08/joystiqs-live-coverage-of-the-nintendo-gdc-keynote/ "11:08 a.m.: He's moved on to pictures of games gone by. He compares the best selling games of 1998 -- Goldeneye, Ocarina, Gran Turismo, Super Mario 64 -- to today's top sellers -- GTA, Madden, Halo 2, ESPN NFL2K5. Oh no"

stewacide said: "11:08 a.m.: He's moved on to pictures of games gone by. He compares the best selling games of 1998 -- Goldeneye, Ocarina, Gran Turismo, Super Mario 64 -- to today's top sellers -- GTA, Madden, Halo 2, ESPN NFL2K5. Oh no"
Interesting... 11:07 AM PST - Miyamoto began to wonder if people still wanted “his” games. His focus today is a grand one – the Nintendo difference. 11:08 AM PST - Miyamoto is talking about his wife. He says that games like Mario and Pac-man didn’t “grab” her. He says, at the time, he thought Tetris would surely get her. But it didn’t. His daughter, meanwhile, would play Ocarina of Time all the time, and his wife would watch. Then she got into Animal Crossing. A graphical Wii-o-meter on the screen continues to rise, illustrating the reach games are having. 11:11 AM PST - Miyamoto brings up the Everybody Votes channel, looking at the poll about dogs versus cats. Miyamoto says dogs are better, his wife says cats are. Now there’s a picture of his six-year-old dog. The dog’s face looks like a “guitar,” and his name is “Pick.” “He sleeps on a better mattress than I do,” he says.

11:14 AM PST - This is how he came up with the idea for Nintendogs. When he showed the game to his wife, she loved it. The same thing happened with Brain-Age. 11:15 AM PST - He often comes home late from work to find his wife on his Wii, on Everybody Votes. She downloaded the channel on her own and started voting. 11:18 AM PST - Miyamoto has a competition between him and his wife. When she thinks of a unique game design, he can retire. The audience begins to ROFL.

Xzbeat said: 11:14 AM PST - This is how he came up with the idea for Nintendogs. When he showed the game to his wife, she loved it. The same thing happened with Brain-Age. 11:15 AM PST - He often comes home late from work to find his wife on his Wii, on Everybody Votes. She downloaded the channel on her own and started voting. 11:18 AM PST - Miyamoto has a competition between him and his wife. When she thinks of a unique game design, he can retire. The audience begins to ROFL.
cool, keep them coming. Also just a side note, i always thought ROFL meant Rolling On Floor Laughing? Anyone else pictured a whole audience falling on the floor and then all rolling together laughing?

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network

http://www.vgcharts.org/news/news.php?id=153

It sounds like this was a really great speech. I'm always impressed by how down-to-earth Miyamoto is in his approach to game design. It was certainly more appropriate, content-wise, for a GAME DEVELOPERS CONFERENCE KEYNOTE then a certain other recent speech, which seemed more like a press conference product-unveiling.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Don't forget about the gag order imposed upon Nintendo from the stock deal though. Hmm..So when is the Popularity channel coming? Heh you could make a prediction league to see which user on vgcharts will be the most popular on the popularity channel.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Nintendo is really dissapointing me a lot lately. - A really really really bad line-up, - A terible Keynote about wifes, non-gamers and other crap stuff.. do you really think you can entertain me for one year with a GC port (zelda)?? Well do ya Nintendo? I dont care about your way of seeing the industry, i wanne play great games and lots of it too!! Is it so hard to understand that your fans wanne play games and not participate in stupid Mii contests... I still love nintendo, i always will.. but buying the Wii has been the worst purchase i ever did! I wanne play with the Wii but theres nothing to play with, absolutely nothing! Its just sitting here collecting dusts. I really only use it for when friends come over, and Wii-sports doesnt stay fun 4-ever thrust me. There are much better partygames on the GC and PS2.

^^it aint much, if it aint dutch^^

tao said: Nintendo is really dissapointing me a lot lately. - A really really really bad line-up, - A terible Keynote about wifes, non-gamers and other crap stuff.. do you really think you can entertain me for one year with a GC port (zelda)?? Well do ya Nintendo? I dont care about your way of seeing the industry, i wanne play great games and lots of it too!! Is it so hard to understand that your fans wanne play games and not participate in stupid Mii contests... I still love nintendo, i always will.. but buying the Wii has been the worst purchase i ever did! I wanne play with the Wii but theres nothing to play with, absolutely nothing! Its just sitting here collecting dusts. I really only use it for when friends come over, and Wii-sports doesnt stay fun 4-ever thrust me. There are much better partygames on the GC and PS2.
It's not the greatest line-up, but don't blame Nintendo...nobody thought the Wii would sell this much. Not even Miyamoto. It's not like the PS3 has any better games right now either...it's a slow period, and it WILL get better...you just gotta wait it out. Super Paper Mario is looking fantastic in my opinion...I can't wait til April.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )