By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What is the point of replacing 60gb with 80gb?

leo-j said:
$449.99 for the 80gb ps3 alone for chirstmas

Then

$499.99 for the ps3 with motorstorm?

80 gb alone 450 thats what they should do.. right before christmas they should do that

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

Around the Network

@bonafide

That will be the perfect strategy for sony, they wont be loosing money on the 80gb while its at $449.99, and they will have alot of great exclusives.

mM
leo-j said:
@bonafide

That will be the perfect strategy for sony, they wont be loosing money on the 80gb while its at $449.99, and they will have alot of great exclusives.

aside from the multiplat games i plan on gettin at least a 4 exclusives for the ps3 this holiday... gonna be an expensive holiday season.. hopefully i wont have too much homework thank god for christmas breaks...

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

Im getting heavenly sword in 3 weeks, then saving up for assasins creed, and some other games, I wont be getting unreal tournament 3, I have warhawk for multiplayer. Killzone 2 is the main title I want to get, and I used to hate shooters.

mM

Are you kidding? You think that at 450 they wouldn't be losing money? They aren't going to cut the price $150 is a year. You guys are deluding yourselves.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Around the Network
leo-j said:
$449.99 for the 80gb ps3 alone for chirstmas

Then

$499.99 for the ps3 with motorstorm?

Keep dreaming buddy.

You will be lucky if once the 60GB is gone, Sony even drops the 80 GB to 499.

Unlike your prior post, we dont know what the PS3 costs to manufacture but Sony is still probably losing a lot of money on each PS3 and money doesn't grow on trees. 

Sony said they will be making money on the PS3 by march, i'm pretty sure that is based on the 80gb PS3 at $600 USD.

GranTurismo said:
Sony said they will be making money on the PS3 by march, i'm pretty sure that is based on the 80gb PS3 at $600 USD.

When did they say that? The last thing I saw on the matter was in their Q1 financial report, where they weren't sure about it if I recall correctly. I also recall them saying "we expect to start making per-unit-profit later rather than sooner".

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

It seems that Sony are getting 80Gb HDD's for less then the 60Gb models. That with the reduced cost with the removal of the EE.

Not only do they make more revenue based on the $599 sales of the 80Gb models compared to the 60Gb models at the previous price of $599...but when the 60Gb are sold out and they reduce the 80Gb model to $499, then they are not losing as much money per unit sold compared to the 60Gb models as well.

So they:

a) manage to sell loads more PS3's because of the pricecut.
b) introduce a cheaper to make model (80Gb) at the original cost
c) once the 60Gb stock disappears, they reduce the 80Gb model, making it look like a reduction again...and potentially reduce the price further to say $449 so it looks like you are getting a great deal...extra 20Gb and $50 less....

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

I would say, that when the pricecut comes, it's 549$ with Motorstorm. Possibly even 529$. The pricecut could come after christmas, but in the other hand, Sony needs to push the christmas sales as much as possible to get back in the race. So, as soon as 60GB models run out, they should drop the price to the same as the 60GB is now.

@Vizunary: LOL, you're right, that's why people should buy new consoles. The problem is, that people sell their PS2:s to get money for PS3 and the backwards compatibility have more meaning in those cases. The backwards compatibility is high, but some games have minor and some major issues.

@Topic: As everyone have said, 80GB is cheaper to produce and even the 80GB HDD is propably cheaper than the 60GB. Since it uses the 2,5" drive, instead of 3,5", and since it's generally used in laptops, the most used size in laptops is the cheapest one. So, i don't see 100GB model impossible next year. PAL version propably skips the 80GB and jumps to 100GB.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.