By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What is the point of replacing 60gb with 80gb?

Fonzerelli said:
does 80 GB have proper BC or is it gimped like the Euro version ??

It's gimped. Others in this thread already said so.

Submit to the deliciousness of the MAD COW BEEF!

Around the Network

I think Sony will first look how sales are evolving:
if the go down, so will the price
if they stay the same so will the price
if they go up it's christmas

It's pretty sure that sales will go down, if they dont lower the price. The 80 gb version is selling much worse than 60 gb.

a.l.e.x59 said:
All I know is that the 60 GB Playstation 3 is better than the 80 GB Playstation 3, because the 80 GB Playstation 3 does not have the emotion engine that the 60 GB Playstation 3, and Playstation 2, have. Instead, the 80 GB Playstation 3 relies on software emulation, which is not as good. Does the 20 GB of extra memory make up for it? No. And besides, who is going to use more than 60 GB anyways? Ignore the 80 GB Playstation 3, and just stick with the 60 GB Playstation 3.

who is going to use 60GBs? you must be kidding, i've got a total of 255 GBs of space, the 60GB PS3 and a 200GB external usb drive, and i've used about 92GB so far. i said the exact same thing though, when i was 12 and the first 1 GIGABYTE HD was announced. on topic: then new 80gb sku is sony's mass production model they started with in korea, it should be close to $200USD cheaper to manufacture than my 60GB system that was purchased in january. though, i'm waiting for the cpu and gpu to both be 65nm before i let bestbuy replace mine ;) and of course they'll lower the price at some point after the 60GBs are completely gone, you guys know all the shite we talk about these games is like calculus to the average consumer. if sony didn't lower the price, then that would be perceived as a price hike, yes??? just follow the logic.

and by "gimped" BC you must mean that it can only play approximately 76% of ps2 games and 90+% of ps1 games? you're right that IS gimped... oh no, i guess i'll have to play *holds breath* NEW games, you know, the whole point in buying a next gen console.

Around the Network

80GB HDD's are more popular among the mainstream computer industry so they are more readly avalible and cheaper in bulk. This is the only reason Sony has switched to the 80 even though it is not that much larger than the 60.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Sony has mentioned re-assessing the pricing once the 60 gig sells out.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

if sony was smart theyd reduce the price of the 80 gig down to 450 once the 60 runs out

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

So that when they lower the price of the 80GB down to $500 they can claim they're doing their best for the consumer by having two price cuts in the first year-18 months. ;>

$449.99 for the 80gb ps3 alone for chirstmas

Then

$499.99 for the ps3 with motorstorm?

mM