By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What is the point of replacing 60gb with 80gb?

I am trying to figure out what is strategy but i cant find the explanation. 60GB is 499$ in USA and 80GB is 599$ bundled with Motorstorm. I think it is easy to assume that 80GB price will change once 60GB is outsold. Motorstorm will be removed and 80GB will most likely replace 60gb in price, 499$ before Christmas makes most sense. But this is where the problem starts.
Why do this?
What is the point of removing 60gb?
Why not keep 60GB, cut the price for some 50-100 usd before Christmas and sell more units? Or don't cut price, but keep it on market. Why remove it, why?

Around the Network

Globox, Sony is using a pricing strategy based on value and not actual price. They are doing this to keep revenue high.

Other industries have followed similar strategies and some work and others don't.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

The 80GB version dont have EE chip, 60GB and 80GB probably cost the same to manufacture. They are driving down the cost of the ps3 they started with Europe now its US turn. Yeah the 80GB will probably go down to 499$ when 60GB is out of stock. They EE chip is for ps2 games instead of hardware they are going software.

To make money. The 80gig costs less than the 60gb and motorstorm costs them nothing since its first party. The 80gb is just a tad below from making money.

mM

yea basically they wanted to take the EE chips out of all the PS3s to make it cheaper to manufacture. I think they save about $25 per system by doing this, so instead of just all the sudden taking out all the EE chips they made a new SKU and lowered the price of the other. I think this was a much better idea than just taking out all the EE chips and not lowering the price of the others.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network
Yojimbo said:
The 80GB version dont have EE chip, 60GB and 80GB probably cost the same to manufacture. They are driving down the cost of the ps3 they started with Europe now its US turn. Yeah the 80GB will probably go down to 499$ when 60GB is out of stock. They EE chip is for ps2 games instead of hardware they are going software.
B        But still why don't they do this? Once 60GB with EE chip is sold, make 60GB without EE chip and contionue selling it for 499$, instead they will (most likely) replace it with 80GB. Instead of trying to find a way to cut price on thier product they are making it all messed up and confusing.

leo-j said:
To make money. The 80gig costs less than the 60gb and motorstorm costs them nothing since its first party. The 80gb is just a tad below from making money.

i see

Globox82 said:

leo-j said:

i see

he is partically right actually. Motorstorm still costs Sony money to mass produce but since development costs should have been made back the game should be making a profit now off of it. 

80GB will go down to 499 when the 60GB model runs out.

off-topic: the PS2 will have a price of $99 by December.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
Globox82 said:

leo-j said:

i see

Not sure about that one. It is still not slowing down and why cut price in prime time of yearly sales? Not going to happened. Maybe end of January 08

ssj12 said:
Globox82 said:

leo-j said:

i see

he is partically right actually. Motorstorm still costs Sony money to mass produce but since development costs should have been made back the game should be making a profit now off of it.

80GB will go down to 499 when the 60GB model runs out.

I guarantee you that the only time you will see the 80GB PS3 at $499 is when the new 100GB (or whatever bigger size or bundle, it doesn't matter) announced at $599.  For the moment Sony seems pretty set on their $499/599 strategy and that isn't going to change anytime soon.

Besides, hasn't Sony already come out and said that the 60GB's are gone?