By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Intel to kill AMD in 60 days

This is a joke played out every few years.

Right now Intel is being threatened by the EU with anti-competitive behavior, if they kill AMD I have no doubt they would receive heavy sanctions.

Secondly chip design takes years. If Intel lost x64 they would be essentially chip less for a year at least. Itanium is expensive and stuck in the low 1ghz level, and that is the ONLY viable 64bit architecture they have- and a lousy one at that.

Also Intel is killing AMD right now, so there isn't much of a competitive advantage to twisting the knife further especially when they stand to lose so much to IBM, Sun, VIA and other chipmakers.

If this were to ever happen it would destroy the entire PC market overnight.

XBL: WiiVault Wii: PM me  PSN: WiiVault

PC: AMD Athlon II Quadcore 635 (OC to 4.0ghz) , ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (x2)

MacBook Pro C2D 2.8ghz, 9600m GT 512 iMac: C2D 2.0, X2600XT 256

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
It's no problem, it won't happen. AMD is safe.

AMD mite fall because of bad economy and bankrupcy some day, but the legal sistem won't cause them any truble. Even if Intel was right they can't win in court as long as they are so dominant on the processer market, politics are afraid of a total Intel monopoly.

How would an intel monopoly possibly affect politicians? Consumers should be more afraid then politics.

AMD > Intel.

rendo said:
AMD > Intel
Linux > Windows
Nvidia > AMD
Me > Everyone else in the world.

/thread.

^ this

Except for the last part.  You forgot about me.  Me > You > Everyone else in the world.

Senlis said:
rendo said:
AMD > Intel
Linux > Windows
Nvidia > AMD

/thread.

Not after RV790 comes out.

Around the Network

hope not. Their competition only helps us consumers.

niksta2 said:
Slimebeast said:
It's no problem, it won't happen. AMD is safe.

AMD mite fall because of bad economy and bankrupcy some day, but the legal sistem won't cause them any truble. Even if Intel was right they can't win in court as long as they are so dominant on the processer market, politics are afraid of a total Intel monopoly.

How would an intel monopoly possibly affect politicians? Consumers should be more afraid then politics.

In theory, those consumers also elect politicians to work on their behalf.

But when monopolies finance political campaigns, things start getting murky.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Soleron said:
Senlis said:
rendo said:
AMD > Intel
Linux > Windows
Nvidia > AMD

/thread.

That's the least important comparison in there.  The most important is Me > Everyone else in the world and I'm glad you made the right choice and agreed. :b

Soleron said:
Senlis said:
rendo said:
AMD > Intel
Linux > Windows
Nvidia > AMD

/thread.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2344294,00.asp

Apparently they're only about equal, this review giving it a slight edge to the Nvidia. D:  Nvidia > AMD.