By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Intel to kill AMD in 60 days

Intel alleges that AMD broke the terms of the x86 cross-licensing agreement by spinning off its manufacturing division into Globalfoundries, and says if the dispute is not resolved then AMD's rights under the agreement will be terminated in 60 days. AMD will no longer be able to design or produce Intel-compatible CPUs.

Short version: AMD will die in 60 days.

This is very, very bad. If AMD cannot manufacture CPUs then they will likely cease to exist (their graphics division will likely be sold off) and Intel will have a >99% share of the desktop CPU market, i.e. a monopoly.

The dispute stems from the excat wording of the agreement. Though it is not public, it is said to forbid AMD manufacturing over a certain percentage of its processors externally. The issue is whether Globalfoundries counts as a subsidiary or not, as AMD has less than a 50% stake in the company but equal voting rights with the Abu Dhabi owned ATIC.

http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/16585

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/20090316corp.htm

Around the Network

... link?

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

wow....
the death of one of my dearest friends

ameratsu said:
... link?

Sorry about that. Was meaning to, but plainly forgot.

Hmm if this is true then I am wondering what will happen to AMD chips inside the consoles like the Wii? (correct me if I am wrong not 100% on that!)

PSN: Gippon

Around the Network
Gippon said:
Hmm if this is true then I am wondering what will happen to AMD chips inside the consoles like the Wii? (correct me if I am wrong not 100% on that!)

maybe nintendo will help them....LOL YEAH RIGHT

Gippon said:

Yeah, what will happen to the Wii's/360's GPU?

that would piss me offi love amd and ati

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!

bet with *no one yet* that the combined first week of Monster Hunter 3 in america and europe will be 600k or more! winner changes looser sig and avatar for two months!

Leunam said:
Gippon said:

Yeah, what will happen to the Wii's/360's GPU?

The rights to those are probably owned by Nintendo/MS already (otherwise they can buy them), and I'd imagine that many factories can build them. I don't think that would be a big problem, although I don't know much about hardware manufacturing.

As for the OP, surprising but one would think AMD will figure out a deal?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Wow, that sucks.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089