By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Intel to kill AMD in 60 days

this is the link
http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/gigaom/big-tech/2009_03_16_intel_threatens_amds_right_to_make_chips.html
I don't think its a big deal because I think intel is losing money so they attack who they can to get what they can. they did it to nvida last month and now they are after AMD and nothing will come of it.

Around the Network

Lol you can't make this stuff up. Soap-opera material:

What does AMD have to say about all this? The firm responded with the following statement:

Intel's action is an attempt to distract the world from the global antitrust scrutiny it faces. Should this matter proceed to litigation, we will prove not only that Intel is wrong, but also that Intel fabricated this claim to interfere with our commercial relationships and thus has violated the cross-license.

According to AMD's form 8-K filing, Intel isn't kidding about taking away AMD's license—it "purports to terminate [AMD]'s rights and licenses under the Cross License in 60 days if the alleged breach has not been corrected." Naturally, AMD doesn't think it's doing anything wrong. As a matter of fact, the smaller company thinks Intel has violated the agreement by making those threats:

[AMD] maintains that Intel's purported attempt to terminate [AMD]'s rights and licenses under the Cross License itself constitutes a material breach of the Cross License by Intel[,] which gives [AMD] the right to terminate Intel's rights and licenses . . . while retaining [AMD]'s rights and licenses under the Cross License Agreement.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

It's no problem, it won't happen. AMD is safe.

AMD mite fall because of bad economy and bankrupcy some day, but the legal sistem won't cause them any truble. Even if Intel was right they can't win in court as long as they are so dominant on the processer market, politics are afraid of a total Intel monopoly.

Sorry, but voting right isn't ownership...AMD needs to buy up shares to 51% or bust!

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

heruamon said:
Sorry, but voting right isn't ownership...AMD needs to buy up shares to 51% or bust!

Taken from TR comments (emphasis mine):

http://contracts.corporate.findlaw.com/agreements/amd/intel.license.2001.01.01.html

1.22. "Subsidiary" shall mean any corporation, partnership, joint venture,
limited liability or other entity, now or hereafter, in which a
party

(a) owns or controls (either directly or indirectly) or originally
contributed (either directly or indirectly) at least fifty
percent (50%) of the tangible and intangible assets of such
entity
; and

(b) owns or controls (either directly or indirectly) either of the
following:

(1) if such entity has voting shares or other securities, at
least fifty percent (50%) of the outstanding shares or
securities entitled to vote for the election of
directors or similar managing authority and such entity
is under no obligation (contractual or otherwise) to
directly or indirectly distribute more than seventy
percent (70%) of its profits to a third party, or

(2) if such entity does not have voting shares or other
securities, at least fifty percent (50%) of the
ownership interest that represents the right to make
decisions for such entity and an interest sufficient to
receive at least thirty percent (30%) of the profits
and/or losses of such entity

An entity shall be deemed to be a Subsidiary under this
Agreement only so long as all requisite conditions of being a
Subsidiary are met.

--

I think that's just vague enough for AMD to defend itself, but it will be a VERY long legal battle. I imagine Abu Dhabi will help with the legal costs since their whole venture is dead if AMD goes down.

--

"Yeah, what will happen to the Wii's/360's GPU?"

Nothing; the graphics division of AMD (formerly ATI) is not involved and even if AMD completely die then they will likely spinoff once more and carry on doing graphics. The only impact will be being starved of R&D cash if AMD's troubles continue.

Around the Network

We should all be supporting AMD now.

No recommendations of Intel CPUs or Nvidia grafix cards are allowed when people ask for advice on buying new hardware.

Slimebeast said:
We should all be supporting AMD now.

No recommendations of Intel CPUs or Nvidia grafix cards are allowed when people ask for advice on buying new hardware.

Ah shi- my very laptop that I use to post this comment has Intel processors and nVidia GPU...

PSN: Gippon

AMD owns ATI?
I got to keep up with the tech news

Don't AMD own the tech behind x64? If they do that's all the leverage they need to stop intel being twats about it.

I hope it ends up well for AMD, Intel cannot be a monopolist on the market.