By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Honestly what was Sony thinking

Oh and i guess 360 is WORKING PERFECTLY FOR MS. YEAH Microsoft didnt lost anything on 360. Sony is the only one to lose money. 6 billion loss on xbox and 360 are AWSOME PROFIT for microsoft.

Blu ray is a huge failure, HD DVD us a huge succes.

Oh and there is also RROD, which made TRILLIONS for Microsoft.

Seriously, i am sick of PS3 is failure theards. Microsoft is also losing thins gen. There is onyl one winner this gen adn that's nintendo. Microsoft, unlike Sony and Nintendo, never won any generation. So maybe, MS fanboys should leave Sony alone and start looking at their own console, because PlayStation brand is much more succesfull than Xbox brand, even if we dont count PS1.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:

No. Microsoft has posted consecutive profits for the EDD division for a year.

According to:
http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=57802

Microsoft is in the black for the entire fiscal 08 year ending June 2008. Pretty good for them IMO.

Not only this, they've also added onto their profits since then:

• Q3 2008 (Q1 for them): 178m profit
  • Q4 2009 (Q2 for them): 151m profit

So with 2 quarters in the books, the EDD division is already at $329 million in profit, which is pretty good.

It doesn't sound like MS agrees with you.  These comments were posted 4/2008 (before the massive price cuts on the 360 line).

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/137377.asp?source=rss

"Microsoft's Entertainment & Devices Division posted an $89 million operating profit. The company said cumulative Xbox 360 sales rose to more than 19 million during the quarter. Does the operating profit mean that the company is no longer losing money on the Xbox 360 hardware?

Colleen Healy, Microsoft's general manager of investor relations, didn't answer that question directly when I asked this afternoon. However, she said, "What I can confirm for you is we're making really good progress on that cost curve."

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

kowenicki said:
@dbot

I take that to refer to the costs of the 360 from conception, through R&D and to date, not on the loss/profit for each console sold right now.

I knew you would Kowenicki. 

"Does the operating profit mean that the company is no longer losing money on the Xbox 360 hardware?"

I don't really see any ambiguity in that question, it certainly seems to indicate they are discussing operating profit and not a net return on investment.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.