By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Honestly what was Sony thinking

jacks81x said:
Unless you work for Sony, why would you care if the PS3 is profitable or not? For the typical gaming fan, all we should care about is if there are good games on that system or not. You could build a cheap system and sell it for $50, but if all it has are crappy games, then I'm not going to buy it just because it's cheap. Similarly, if a console costs $400 but it's got a strong library of games that I want to play, then I rather invest in the more expensive system. Yes, cost is important, but the quality of the product is equally important to me. Why are some ppl willing to dish out $60K to buy a BMW when they could spend 1/3 of that and get a Hyundai? Because some people prefer quality over affordability.

Everything has consequences, as we'll all be able to see in the next few months and years. Sony can't just sweep these losses under the rug and keep trucking on as usual.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Sony knows this gen will be longer than previous gens. The only company making money on every console is Nintendo. M$ is not making a profit on the Arcade and probably are only breaking even in the other consoles.
Quit making a big deal over nothing. the PS3 is doing fine and will continue and so will Sony.

Someone should make a "what was M$ thinking" thread for knowingly releasing crap hardware.

You have any resource about the PS3 profitability, or about the xbox360 profitability for comparisons ?
I guess you don't, otherwise you would have posted it here somewhere too.

Don't worry about Sonys' profitability, it's a global company with smart people, they 'will' make it profitable sooner or later. ( if it isn't already ).

You think MS is in a better position ? They had to cut down prices / profitability twice in 2008 to compete with Sony, and for what ? to be on the biggest pie of the 60/40% market-share-graph ?

The xbox-business is a complete waste of time, money and energy, it still has to make up all the losses it made, and it gave MS nothing in return except some RROD-headaches, scratched discs and poor reputation.
MS should get back to their software-business before it's too late... they can always release HALOs on the PS3 and earn some millions without hardware-risks.

Honkeytonk Monkey said:
Killzowned said:
I don't care what their plan was, all I care about is that they put the best console out so I hope they do the exact same thing next generation.

They may not be profitable but you can always count on Sony to put the best piece of hardware and games out there.

Joke post?

Best hardware, in what way? What games you like can't be argued, but the systems themselves have a bad history.

The PS1 was a pile of garbage. It was plagued by drive failures Sony would not cover under warranty like Microsoft has with the RROD. From a technical view, it was terrible, with many of the classic games being almost unplayable now and are hard to look at with thier swimming texture maps, rough edges and serious tearing in most games. I can play N64 games, they aren't as pretty as they used to be but they are still playable and for the most part hold up well.

The PS2 was the least powerful system of it's gen, was hard to devellop for, and again was plagued with DRE, drive failures and build quality issues that once again were ignored by Sony. The XBOX was vastly superior but lacked alot of the 3rd party support Sony had amassed, and it had a higher price tag. The Gamecube was also superior in every way but lacked the capability to play DVDs which contributed alot to it's lackluster sales.

I like how you say this when I never had a single problem with either My Ps1 or Ps2. I mean there are alot of people out there that are dumbasses that drop there systems and dont care of them by eatting and playing. Its pretty sad because i hav not seen any reports on this or anything.

thx1139 said:

Really what was Sony's plan with the PS3.

Right now the PS3 still isnt profitable, hardware is still so costly that this past holiday quarter with everything profitable in the games division (PS2, PS2 Software, PSP, PSP Software, PS2 Software), but the PS3 hardware, the division posted a 4 million dollar profit. 

Nintendo and Microsoft certainly plan 2011 or 2012 (my bet) launches of new consoles. 

So when and how did Sony ever plan for the PS3 to be profitable? Was the plan that they wouldnt drop the launch price until say end of this year?

IMO, they didn't plan to have such production problems that resulted in a 600 €/$ price.

The rest of the problems could have been avoided with enough cash in bank to overcome it ...

Microsoft does a better job with the 360 but the problems of Sony make it easier.

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

Around the Network
Willem said:

The xbox-business is a complete waste of time, money and energy, ...

How let that guy in ?

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

thx1139 said:

Really what was Sony's plan with the PS3.

Right now the PS3 still isnt profitable, hardware is still so costly that this past holiday quarter with everything profitable in the games division (PS2, PS2 Software, PSP, PSP Software, PS2 Software), but the PS3 hardware, the division posted a 4 million dollar profit. 

Nintendo and Microsoft certainly plan 2011 or 2012 (my bet) launches of new consoles. 

So when and how did Sony ever plan for the PS3 to be profitable? Was the plan that they wouldnt drop the launch price until say end of this year?

This isn't true is it? Are you saying they lose money on every console sold? Because I am pretty sure they are making profit on one game and a console.

Sony thought Playsation fans would buy PS3 no matter the cost, as long as it said PS on it.

PREDICTIONS:
(Predicted on 5/31/11) END of 2011 Sales - Xbox 360 = 62M;  PS3 = 59M;  Wii = 97M

Sony is roughly breaking even on every PS3 sold once you take in everything to consideration: manufacturing cost, shipping, retailer incentives, ect.

However, it's a lie to think that the Arcade is not making money, when it most likely was when the price dropped to $199. Microsoft has made a profit in their gaming division for the past year+ straight, and Sony has posted a loss just about every time. That tells me that one system is profitable, and the other is certainly not.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

@mrstickball
I thought MS dropped back into the red last year