By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Honestly what was Sony thinking

Sony simply thought after the PS1 and PS2 they could do anything.

They were wrong

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Around the Network
colonelstubbs said:
Sony simply thought after the PS1 and PS2 they could do anything.

They were wrong

Mmmt it depends on what you mean ....

Anything like... aiming too high or not-respecting their former customers...

IMO the ambition was very high with the cell and the Blu-ray...  it started as a nice project but went wrong ...

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

sony did nothing wrong, microsoft and nintendo did something better, that is all

nintendo and sega fan since i was old enough to hold a game controller.

note: my games collection on my profile is only 20ish% complete, i've got a boatload of 360,saturn and dreamcast games to add and a few ps3 games, thanks :)

I think that Sony was hit by a perfect storm. Three things happened all at once that hurt them:

1) Unexpected delays and high costs due to the BR drive and Cell processor of the PS3;

2) Strong competition with two products offering new things: Wii for the casual gamers + the Wiimote and the XBox360 fighting for the hardcore market and offering online gaming;

3) The economic crisis and loss of the value of the euro and dollar against the yen: the profits from sales in Europe and US will be lower and in times of crisis, the tendency is to cut costs first on the more expensive things.

These three things put Sony were they are now. There is nothing they could have done about #3 but #1 and #2 are valuable lessons.

Innovate on the next gen, instead of just upgrading the console (sorry but BR and wifi are not innovations) and don't try to build a too high end machine since you will suffer a big loss if someone undercut your price.

I don't get it: Why are people arguing that the financial crisis is something that's effecting every video game maker? It's not. Microsoft and Nintendo both have robust YoY growths. The PS3 certainly does not.

Although you can't argue that Sony couldn't help the recession, they certainly have not made their system viable in such a climate by making it so prohibitively expensive.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
Sony is roughly breaking even on every PS3 sold once you take in everything to consideration: manufacturing cost, shipping, retailer incentives, ect.

However, it's a lie to think that the Arcade is not making money, when it most likely was when the price dropped to $199. Microsoft has made a profit in their gaming division for the past year+ straight, and Sony has posted a loss just about every time. That tells me that one system is profitable, and the other is certainly not.

Not necessarily true, they could well (are almost certainly) losing some money on hardware, but making it up with software sales

mrstickball said:
I don't get it: Why are people arguing that the financial crisis is something that's effecting every video game maker? It's not. Microsoft and Nintendo both have robust YoY growths. The PS3 certainly does not.

Although you can't argue that Sony couldn't help the recession, they certainly have not made their system viable in such a climate by making it so prohibitively expensive.

I can't speak for others, but my point was that the crisis hampers Sony as a whole, including the gaming division. If it wasn't for the crisis and dollar/euro impact, they could cut prices earlier, and they wouldn't have to restructure the gaming division.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
mrstickball said:

I can't speak for others, but my point was that the crisis hampers Sony as a whole, including the gaming division. If it wasn't for the crisis and dollar/euro impact, they could cut prices earlier, and they wouldn't have to restructure the gaming division.

Have they restructured the games division other than combining Sony studios liverpool and evolution studios. I though they only restructured Sony as a whole combining several divisions under Kaz

Munkeh111 said:
NJ5 said:
mrstickball said:

Have they restructured the games division other than combining Sony studios liverpool and evolution studios. I though they only restructured Sony as a whole combining several divisions under Kaz

As Sony said in their statement:

The changes, effective April 1, 2009, will fundamentally reorganize the company’s electronics and game businesses to improve profitability and strengthen competitiveness in the midst of the continued global economic crisis. They will also accelerate the production of innovative networked products and services by strategically integrating these two business groups.

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=3056

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

There plan was to release a console that was a media hub, that would push Blu ray into everyones house, play movies, music and internet access, also be the most powerful gaming console ever released. The only issues with the plan is we all wanted a GAMING machine. They forgot they need to release good games (first two years) and that the price does matter we are not paying $600.00.

As long as they learned the lesson of pricing and games they will be back next gen

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks