By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Honestly what was Sony thinking

No, microsoft posted a 4.3 billion in profits last quarter. They made cuts and layoffd in anticipation of lower pc sales because of the recession. Just like every other company except nintendo and apple.

Around the Network

No. Microsoft has posted consecutive profits for the EDD division for a year.

According to:
http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=57802

Microsoft is in the black for the entire fiscal 08 year ending June 2008. Pretty good for them IMO.

Not only this, they've also added onto their profits since then:

• Q3 2008 (Q1 for them): 178m profit
  • Q4 2009 (Q2 for them): 151m profit

So with 2 quarters in the books, the EDD division is already at $329 million in profit, which is pretty good.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

God this one gets so boring. Same old question same old answers, we are 6 months on and nothing has changed

assumption is the mother of all f**k ups 

Killzowned said:
I don't care what their plan was, all I care about is that they put the best console out so I hope they do the exact same thing next generation.

They may not be profitable but you can always count on Sony to put the best piece of hardware and games out there.

So you think Nintendo would kill them off and then later own them in sales like this gaming generation? Nah, Sony is in a different world. Their methods have zoned out for far too long to think that if they shat an expensive console out of the pipeline and lose money, that they would make profits on software. That's an absurd and dangerous business model. Even my father would agree with me that it's a VERY poor plan to work out. Think of it right now for this generation; if Sony is selling their PS3 for a loss, how would the pathetic sales of their games for the system help bring them back into the black? In other words, Sony has made poor choices since they first entered the console market.

not another one of these...

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network
TacoBoy49 said:
T People don't realize it, but the Wii is Sony's biggist competition, not xbox. The Wii stole all of the PS 2 casuals from Sony. In that regard,sony is way way in trouble. Xbox 360 is just doing slightly better than Xbox 1.

If Nintendo stole Sony's casual market, why is Sony fighting blow-to-blow with hardcore games in Microsoft's domain? They are battling on three fronts; Microsoft, Nintendo and DVD.

Sure sure.

Take my love, take my land..

to be fair to the topic, you have to look at 2 points whilst the lot of you have just looked at 1!
The ps3 made an investment with the ps3 on 2 divisions; gaming and films (br). To have a fair arguement you have to look at profits and losses for both; films (br) and games.

So before the debate pursues with more pointless opinions mentioning just a division ( part investment) can someone paste the information on br profit / losses to make it a complete and fair discussion.

thx1139 said:

Really what was Sony's plan with the PS3.

Right now the PS3 still isnt profitable, hardware is still so costly that this past holiday quarter with everything profitable in the games division (PS2, PS2 Software, PSP, PSP Software, PS2 Software), but the PS3 hardware, the division posted a 4 million dollar profit. 

Nintendo and Microsoft certainly plan 2011 or 2012 (my bet) launches of new consoles. 

So when and how did Sony ever plan for the PS3 to be profitable? Was the plan that they wouldnt drop the launch price until say end of this year?

Don't say that. You are gonna hurt the PSpal's feelings.

Times Banned: 12

Press----------------> <----------------Press

Sony pretty much lost this gen. They made the mistake that they thought their brand name can carry them through this gen. they were wrong. Also the financial crisis was a huge blow to them. I think next gen. sony will take nintendo path. They will sell a system for profit but in exchange the hardware would not be a huge leap from the ps3.

Wii:FC 8542-6809-7276-6787

GT: Lordragoon