By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Extremely Long Cutscenes, What's your take?

dunno001 said:

I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree on where a cutscene is defined. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like for you, it would be anything that stops the action. I'd like to think I'm wrong, but that's how I'm currently interpretting it.

For me, I define it as something that "cuts" away from the engine. I consider talking to be part of the basic story. And this story should happen in the engine, this is where the interaction also takes place. By cutting away from this engine, you have removed me from where I interact with the game. It becomes a "scene" that is "cut" out from the game, hence why I call those cutscenes.

You're off, but not by much. A cutscene, for me, is a point at which your input ceases to serve to change the way that a situation progresses.

Define "engine".

Around the Network

The "engine" is where your input on the characters takes place. Say, an overworld map, a town, a battle screen, etc. To go back to the Celes and Cid scene, it takes place entirely in areas where you have the ability to move around and do actions. It is within a part of the game that you can interact with. So that's probably how I would define it.

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

So.... the cut scenes in FF4 (except for the FMV intro and outtro) would work too, since they all take place within those environments?

dunno001 said:
Riachu said:
twesterm said:
Cut Scenes have their place in games but anything longer than a minute without player control is venturing into dangerous territory.

That's an exaggeration.  Even shooters like Gears of War 2 and Killzone 2 have have cutscenes that can go on for 5 minutes at a time.

And he is correct in stating that it is dangerous. People allowed 1 minute, so they went for 3, then 5, now some are pushing more. They are removing interaction from the game, merging it ever so more with movies. And these "games" make for some very expensive movies...

This is very true, it's a slippery slope. One that the industry is gaining momentum in. Think of it in a developer standpoint, there's only so much you can do with gameplay. You can do alot more with cutscenes. With gameplay, you're restricted with what your game allows, what the engine allows. But with the cutscenes, you can create CGI-cutscenes that allow you to show action better than the actual gameplay. Halo Wars is a prime example, you'll never be able to see some of the CGI-battles you see in the actual game play.

Why must JRPG female leads suck so bad?

Khuutra said:
So.... the cut scenes in FF4 (except for the FMV intro and outtro) would work too, since they all take place within those environments?

Probably, since I don't remember anything I would call a cutscene in the middle of that game. If there's a scene in particular, I can confirm it.

-dunno001

Around the Network

Compare

(after the battle with Edge's parents, naturally) to:

What is the effective difference?

Well, there are 2 differences that I see which distinguish the first from not being a cutscene while the second one is, though I don't know if one of them is mitigatable. The one I'm not sure about is the speed of the dialogue. If there is no way to speed it up, then it makes it a candidate for being a cutscene. However, what clearly defines it to me is the fact that the view of the second one is not the view of how you actually play the game. It takes me out of the game, to have a camera spin around, and effectively show off things. Since the entire game does not look like that, it becomes a cutscene, unlike the first one, which was entirely in place of where you can move.

-dunno001

...A camera change means it's no longer in-engine?

i agree cutscenes need to stay relatively short. we buy games to play not to watch

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

Khuutra said:
...A camera change means it's no longer in-engine?

the camera change gives you a new perspective on the dialogue xD

but to answer your comparison i would have to say the voice acting, gave it emotion. the first one you would have to be reading it with your own emotion thrown into it. but i dont understand why you want to compare them, are you just trying to showcase how cutscenes used to be straight dialogue compared to addition of cgi / voice acting or is there more to it?