By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Extremely Long Cutscenes, What's your take?

Ugh... cutscenes... the bane of my gaming existance, and the reason I almost completely fell out of gaming. No, I don't like them. If I wanted to watch a movie, I'd buy a movie. I buy a game to play things, and when I see all this space that's killed by cutscenes, I'd rather have more gameplay. FF7 was what first jaded me; the whole game itself is (or rather, could be) on 1 disk, but it needed 3 just for its cutscenes. I have my own time limits for non-interactivity during gaming:

Opening sequence: max 3 minutes, must be skippable.
During game: 30 seconds max, no more than 4 total.
During battles: 3 seconds max. Sorry, but summons take too damn long for me to even care about using them.
Ending sequence: 15 minutes, max. Must be skippable if there is post-game stuff that needs to be done.

I'd rather go back to the old style of games, where things actually had to be flushed out by playing, rather than showing video after video to create a story. I think forcing the story like this is also why games have become more linear. There was a lot of character development in FF6 that was easy to miss if you didn't look around for it. And I liked that. Give me the freedom to find what I want; let me find the story. Only then will it feel interactive, more like a game.

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

Around the Network

Dunno do you realize that you just wiped out the entire Zelda franchise except for the NES games?

You may have done it with several Mario games, too.

And every JRPG ever. No more than 4 cutscenes max during a whole game, only thirty seconds apiece, not counting the intro and ending? Wow.

its all about what the cutscene has information / story wise, the action of the cutscene, how well made the cutscene is, and of course the timing.

i myself enjoy them, especially the good old classical cgi beauties. but they gotta be just right.

now a days with the in game cutscenes ive been waiting for games to add QTE's within the cutscenes when they show action n stuff, would keep the gamer interested imo.

Khuutra said:
Dunno do you realize that you just wiped out the entire Zelda franchise except for the NES games?

And every JRPG ever. No more than 4 cutscenes max during a whole game, only thirty seconds apiece, not counting the intro and ending? Wow.

Well... starting with Zelda, the best ones were 1 and 3. By Ocarina, I was skipping them for wanting to play the game, which I thought was too easy. But that's another topic.

The Mario games... hmm... I can't really think of anything that stood out in those. The intro to Mario 64 was a little long, but... unless the newest ones like Sunshine had a bunch, I can't think of any in there, off the top of my head.

Regarding the JRPGs, I didn't exclude them all. Just most of them PS1 and after. Sure, games like FF6 and Chrono Trigger had long endings, but the game at least wasn't jarringly broken up. But the PS1 let the actual gameplay hit the crapper on average. They had this new medium (CD) where upon they could do all these pretty pictures to tell a story; it was the beginning of the end to me. Sure, there were still a few good ones; the Persona series has long intros and endings, but once the game goes, it's game.

-dunno001

dunno001 said:
Khuutra said:

Well... starting with Zelda, the best ones were 1 and 3. By Ocarina, I was skipping them for wanting to play the game, which I thought was too easy. But that's another topic.

The Mario games... hmm... I can't really think of anything that stood out in those. The intro to Mario 64 was a little long, but... unless the newest ones like Sunshine had a bunch, I can't think of any in there, off the top of my head.

Regarding the JRPGs, I didn't exclude them all. Just most of them PS1 and after. Sure, games like FF6 and Chrono Trigger had long endings, but the game at least wasn't jarringly broken up. But the PS1 let the actual gameplay hit the crapper on average. They had this new medium (CD) where upon they could do all these pretty pictures to tell a story; it was the beginning of the end to me. Sure, there were still a few good ones; the Persona series has long intros and endings, but once the game goes, it's game.

Are you aware of how many non-interactive parts there were in Final Fantasies 1-6?

Around the Network

It depends on if it's keeping me interested or not.

Some stuff in the MGS games can be pretty cool, while many cut-scenes go on for too long and get a little stupid/boring.

CGI cut scenes break up the flow of the game. I'm more amenable to in-engine cut scenes though.

"Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!" -- Daffy Duck

While the MGS4 cutscenes were definitely too long, I probably liked them more than the game ^^

Khuutra said:
dunno001 said:
Khuutra said:

Are you aware of how many non-interactive parts there were in Final Fantasies 1-6?

Not too many, actually. I'm going to look at 1, 4, and 6, since those are the ones I've played through the most:

1- Crossing the bridge at the beginning of the game is one. It's also the only one that I would count.

4- Death scenes for the bosses were a little long, but otherwise, everything outside the beginning and end were controllable.

6- At this point, some of the summons were a tad long, and while I do wish the opera scene could be sped up, you still did have to remember a few lines for it, which does negate it from the non-interactivity of it. Otherwise, we're back to the opening and ending... of which part of the opening is skippable...

I'm not going to look at remakes, because of the way that many cutscenes were gratuitously added to them.

-dunno001

dunno001 said:

Not too many, actually. I'm going to look at 1, 4, and 6, since those are the ones I've played through the most:

1- Crossing the bridge at the beginning of the game is one. It's also the only one that I would count.

4- Death scenes for the bosses were a little long, but otherwise, everything outside the beginning and end were controllable.

6- At this point, some of the summons were a tad long, and while I do wish the opera scene could be sped up, you still did have to remember a few lines for it, which does negate it from the non-interactivity of it. Otherwise, we're back to the opening and ending... of which part of the opening is skippable...

I'm not going to look at remakes, because of the way that many cutscenes were gratuitously added to them.

The cutscenes in the remakes weren't added. They were just given voice acting.

Pressing A to get through dialog does not make a cutscene interactive, and all Final Fantasies have a shit ton of them.