By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - top 5 RPGs of this generation.

"Honestly, there have not been a lot of good RPG’s coming from Japanese developers. In the other hand, western guys have been releasing a bunch of good stuff for all consoles. Here are the 5 best RPG’s for this generation so far:"

#5 Valkyria Chronicles — SEGA — PS3

“The vast-majority rest of the time, Valkyria Chronicles offers a unique take on RPG-strategy, a truly involving story, endearing characters, and a chance to reflect upon—or wonderfully, hopelessly anachronize— whatever sense of real-world history you may still have in your head.”

#4 Fable 2 — Microsoft — Xbox 360

“Molyneux invites us to the fantasy world of Albion. It’s a beautiful story where we have all the freedom to live our live as we want. Good or evil? Hero or villain? Family head or silent assassins? It’s all up to us. Excellent presentation, good graphics, great combat system and many surprises in one of the best RPG’s to date”

#3 The World Ends With You — Square-Enix — Nintendo DS

“The World Ends With You is an amazing marriage of style and gameplay. The dual screen combat further stretches what the DS can achieve in gaming that is far from a lame gimmick.”

#2 Mass Effect — Microsoft — Xbox 360 / PC

“An incredible effort from any perspective, Mass Effect sets the new standard for story-driven games, and has unquestionably surpassed all others to become the preeminent science fiction franchise today.”

#1 Fallout 3 — Bethesda Softworks — Xbox 360 / PC / PS3

“Although Fallout 3 is fundamentally a role-playing game, its success lies in the way it balances — and sometimes betters — the approaches of other videogame masterpieces: the retro immersion of “BioShock,” the paranoia of “Portal,” the exploration of “Oblivion” and the seamless storytelling of “Half-Life 2.”

"Other good RPG’s that almost made it to this list:"

Dragon Quest V (NDS)

Tales of Vesperia (Xbox 360)

Lost Odyssey (Xbox 360)

Elder Scrols IV: Oblivion (Xbox 360, PC, PS3)

here is the link: http://gamersan.wordpress.com/2009/03/13/top5rpgsofthegen/

i think this list is better than the other one i posted right?: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=61811

anyway guys what are your thoughts?

Around the Network

Yeah a much better list, and at least Oblivion was mentioned as a runner up.

I like those huge box art shots.

Where's The Witcher?
Warhammer Online?
King's Bounty: The Legend?
Lord of the Rings Online?
Mask of the Betrayer?
Space Rangers 2?
Wrath of the Lich King?

terrible list.

Better than most lists, for sure. I totally agree with #1!

Actually, the only listed game I'm not really fond of is TWEWY. I didn't really get that one.

I still don't get why people liked TWEWY. Oh well. My top 5!

1. Valkyria Chronicles
2. Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
3. Lost Odyssey
4. Tales of Vesperia
5. Oblivion

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
badgenome said:

Better than most lists, for sure. I totally agree with #1!

Actually, the only listed game I'm not really fond of is TWEWY. I didn't really get that one.

You and me both.

My top 5:

1.)Dragon Quest V
2.)Tales of Vesperia
3.)Lost Odyssey
4.)Star Ocean 4
5.)Mass Effect

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

Valkyria Chronicles !!!
i hafe to spread the word out ! not enough people know of its greatness.

IMO

1- Valkyria Chronicles
2- The World Ends With you
3- Oblivion
4- Tales Of Vesperia
5- Mass Effect

Fable 2 was horrible, Lost Odysey was Redundant , Fallout was cool but Oblivion is better, and i never played Dragon Quest.

hatmoza 2.0 said:
Valkyria Chronicles !!!
i hafe to spread the word out ! not enough people know of its greatness.

yeah something i am seeing a lot in websites is how much valkyria chronicles is getting praised. i really was not expecting that. to bad it didnt sold great. lets hope it can have great legs.