By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Stop typing M$ -- it's not as funny or clever as you think it is

I regret that I wasted time with this thread. If that really makes you mad then you need more interaction with people, you don't get enough stimulation.

There's alot more things that deserve your attention

Around the Network
twesterm said:
alephnull said:
M$ was originally a reference BASIC with a double entendre. Originally in BASIC variable names could only have one letter (such as M) and since the "microsoft" is a string you would have to reference any variable by ending it with a $ (eg. M$).

You didn't get the joke and neither do most people these days, but that doesn't mean it wasn't clever.

You're right, I don't get that joke (and don't remember BASIC only letting me having variables with names that are one letter, but it's been years since I used BASIC) but I was referring to the people that say M$ meaning an evil money grubbing corporation.

I remember when BASIC only let you use single letter variable names, but I also remember M$ coming into use in the late 80s. All of the MS BASICs I can think of for 80s micros (Applesoft, BASICA, GW-BASIC) all supported long variable names. TRS-BASIC only let you have short variables, but that's nothing to do with MS. Is this is a reference to Altairs? If so, it sounds like one of those retroactively applied meanings.

As far as I know, there's no BASIC reference. The phrase was coined after that period. M$ is just short for Micro$oft or Micro$haft.

I use M$ if I'm referring to Bill Gates' money-grubbing ways and I think I'm being snarky.

Currently playing: Wii Fit / The Sims 3

Try  PrizeRebel , it could make you  rich ! I have  $15.80 USD  so far. I  love  BengaBenga' Most Wante lists.
$                     $  $  $                         

kabhold said:

I regret that I wasted time with this thread. If that really makes you mad then you need more interaction with people, you don't get enough stimulation.

OR if little things like that make me angry I need a little less interaction with people and I get too much stimulation.  :-p

I figure it's no different from someone saying Ninty, Nin, N instead of having to type Nintendo every time. Sony is pretty short and simple. M$ saves a lot of time when you refer more than once.

@twesterm
Linguistic choices are identity markers for the outside world. I was merely pointing out that your own language denotes your adherence to a subculture, and adherence always deprives you of a dimension. As such, bickering about the conformistic choices others made with their language tickled the funny bone in my inner ear.
That said, lighten up, it was all in good spirit. I even added the ";)" glyph at the end that you youngsters seem to use so much...

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Around the Network

whatever dude. look: M$ , yeah I fail at life 'cause you say so. :P I'm joking.

M$.

Predictions.

1. Wii will never reach 50% market share.

2. Kz2 will sell 1.3 first week 3.5 LT.
Sales predictions for 09.

Wii - 69 - 72
PS3 - 32 - 34
X360 - 39 - 41

M$

How about I call Nintendough a greedy money grubbing company?

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

Why stop typing M$ I might even start typing MICRO$O£T so I can fit another currency in .

Hey Thanx for the inspiratation Twest :)