By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Stop typing M$ -- it's not as funny or clever as you think it is

twesterm said:

There are a few things that annoy me:

1. South Dakota

What do you have against $D?

Brawl FC: 4296-2855-3469

Around the Network
WereKitten said:
twesterm said:

It doesn't make you seem clever.  It doesn't make you sound smart.  It doesn't make you sound funny.  It only makes you look like a giant tool.

Seriously, every time I see someone type M$ seriously I lose every ounce of respect for them and I cannot take anything they say seriously.  Saying M$ in any argument is pretty much an automatic lose card and you fail at life.

Unwilling irony ensues from your own rant being peppered with subcultural jargon, that is also seldom as funny or clever as its now accustomed speakers think ;)

I was going to make a witty comeback and explain how you missed the point of the first post, but then I realized you would probably miss the point of that too.

twesterm said:
WereKitten said:
twesterm said:

It doesn't make you seem clever.  It doesn't make you sound smart.  It doesn't make you sound funny.  It only makes you look like a giant tool.

Seriously, every time I see someone type M$ seriously I lose every ounce of respect for them and I cannot take anything they say seriously.  Saying M$ in any argument is pretty much an automatic lose card and you fail at life.

Unwilling irony ensues from your own rant being peppered with subcultural jargon, that is also seldom as funny or clever as its now accustomed speakers think ;)

I was going to make a witty comeback and explain how you missed the point of the first post, but then I realized you would probably miss the point of that too.

I'm pretty $ure no comeback would have been witty enough to obfu$cate the fact that WereKitten kicked your rhetorical a$$.

A$ in, he threw a deve$tating, life-stopping heart punch $traight into the middle of your argument.

"Fail" gets on my nerves way more than M$, and I've seen you reply to thread$ (especially back when the fail meme was all the rage) with nerve-grating fail pic$ quite a few time$.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

How much did M$ pay you to make this thread?

Aj_habfan said:

$o, $omeone $aid paid?

Around the Network
blaydcor said:
twesterm said:
WereKitten said:
twesterm said:

I'm pretty $ure no comeback would have been witty enough to obfu$cate the fact that WereKitten kicked your rhetorical a$$.

A$ in, he threw a deve$tating, life-stopping heart punch $traight into the middle of your argument.

"Fail" gets on my nerves way more than M$, and I've seen you reply to thread$ (especially back when the fail meme was all the rage) with nerve-grating fail pic$ quite a few time$.

Ah, so you missed it too!

I didn't make a thread about being annoyed by people who use subcultural jargon, I made a thread about being annoyed by people who use the term M$ because they don't know what it actually means (and apparently even I didn't even know where it started) and they think it makes them clever.

I don't give a crap if people use things like fail (or even phail, which would be more appropriate to point out) or other random jargon.  When someone says fail they aren't trying to stick it to Microsoft and sound all sorts of clever because they're almost being political or whatever, they're just being tools (and tool is as much as subcultural jargon as idiot).

twesterm said:
alephnull said:
M$ was originally a reference BASIC with a double entendre. Originally in BASIC variable names could only have one letter (such as M) and since the "microsoft" is a string you would have to reference any variable by ending it with a $ (eg. M$).

You didn't get the joke and neither do most people these days, but that doesn't mean it wasn't clever.

You're right, I don't get that joke (and don't remember BASIC only letting me having variables with names that are one letter, but it's been years since I used BASIC) but I was referring to the people that say M$ meaning an evil money grubbing corporation.

So how would you describe MS? cause that would pretty much be the line for me.

richardhutnik said:
Aj_habfan said:

$o, $omeone $aid paid?

Nothing, they promised I would get plenty of VG$ by all the replies!

i do it because it saves times.

micro$oft too large and i haven't meet someone to like to them to defend it when i do.

perpride said:
twesterm said:
alephnull said:
M$ was originally a reference BASIC with a double entendre. Originally in BASIC variable names could only have one letter (such as M) and since the "microsoft" is a string you would have to reference any variable by ending it with a $ (eg. M$).

You didn't get the joke and neither do most people these days, but that doesn't mean it wasn't clever.

You're right, I don't get that joke (and don't remember BASIC only letting me having variables with names that are one letter, but it's been years since I used BASIC) but I was referring to the people that say M$ meaning an evil money grubbing corporation.

So how would you describe MS? cause that would pretty much be the line for me.

And how would you describe Sony? or Nintendo? or any company that wasn't non-profit in the history of mankind?

Exactly. The point is, why is MS treated differently when all 3 companies are doing the exact same thing, trying to make money.

I don't like the M$ thing either, much like everything else that gets it's moment in the lime light, it reeks of tryhard.

But what baffles me most, when Microsoft/360 fanboys use it as well. That's when you know it is stupid, when people use it without understanding it has a negative meaning. At that point it's facepalm worthy. Actually wait, at that point it's face slap worthy.