By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Eurogamer Reviews Resident Evil 5 :7/10

KylieDog said:
Complaining about 'tank' controls is stupid. The controls are responsive and work perfectly.

What people are complaining about is that you don't control like gears with movement.

I expect these same complainers to hate Gran Turismo 5 because it doesn't have super turbo speed boosts that Burnout Paradise has. Never mind that GT5 isn't an open world arcade style racer, or that RE5 isn't a straight up shooter.

What? There's no puzzles in RE5, its a shooter now apparently

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network
salaminizer said:

well, we don't know what he thinks of RE4 anyway...

Actually, he gave RE4 9/10 back in the day:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ir_residentevil4_gc

kilik said:
salaminizer said:

well, we don't know what he thinks of RE4 anyway...

Actually, he gave RE4 9/10 back in the day:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ir_residentevil4_gc

that's stupid then :P

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

They dont make gamers like they used to.

I remember back in the day gamers would play any game and learn how to control it.

Nowdays gamers jump in 2 minutes and if it does not control the way they want it they get frustrated and mad and post on the internet about it.

But seriously, RE 5 is pretty easy and enjoyable once you learn how to play it. After my 3rd playthrough of the demo, I was pulling off headshots like a pro.

Edge also gave it a 7/10, although Edge are always like that.

The game isnt going to end up with AAA status.

Around the Network
DaGreatestHope said:
They dont make gamers like they used to.

I remember back in the day gamers would play any game and learn how to control it.

Nowdays gamers jump in 2 minutes and if it does not control the way they want it they get frustrated and mad and post on the internet about it.

But seriously, RE 5 is pretty easy and enjoyable once you learn how to play it. After my 3rd playthrough of the demo, I was pulling off headshots like a pro.

Ah, that would be a great response regarding Killzone 2 as well....

I didn't like the way Re5 controls, but I was able to get into a groove after a couple of times with the demo. In fact, I had a similar time with Re4. I couldn't protect myself at all at first, but then I hit a groove and got through the rest of the game.

I figured as much

This is a clear example on how the popularity of a franchise can blind people from what it's very obvious and forgive the shortcommings because it's a game from the franchise they love and cherish.

IF the game was not called Resident Evil, has unknown characters, it will get lower scores and estimates due to the bad AI and cluncky controls. There are games on PS3 and Xbox360 that plays a lot better and the AI is more tolerable (or good).

But since the game is Resident Evil, people excuse this because those things (specially the controls) is what makes a Resident Evil game.

RE5 is not a bad game by all means, but it sure does not deserve high reviews for really outdated controls and doubtful AI compared to otehr games on those systems

This is like complaining that RPGs have no action.

People want RE5 to play like every generic American action game now, and Capcom going halfway to meet that seems to leave people on both sides unhappy.

I wish more games that sell themselves on "OMG REAL LOOK AT ME" made you actually stop and aim to shoot and oh shit heal yourself doing more than standing still.

I hate Eurogamer but that sounds like a rather realistic score - on their scale, that is. Oh, I hate the site and reviews but I love the scale as it uses the whole scale from 0 to 10 instead of 4 to 10. Then again, I would have expected them to give a higher score to a game as simple as this. Which reminds me, I should play the demo sometime. I even got it installed on my PS3 already, just haven't had the will to play it and now don't have the time.

I don't care cause after playing the demo, I decided NOT TO buy the game...

It was slow and dull... with great graphics... still I enjoyed RE4...

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.