By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 2D beauty vs 3D ugly

The Ghost of RubangB said:
Username2324 said:
elprincipe said:

So my question remains: why?

Because on more modern consoles (Hint: PS3, 360) it's not an issue.

Edit: How do you feel about games like Little Big Planet? It's essentially 2D with a bit of a 3D touch.

Are you saying that 3D graphics have always been an issue and they're really hard to get right and that the PS3 and 360 are the first consoles to do so?  Was every single game butt-ugly last generation, up to and including God of War 2 and Twilight Princess?

Yeah cause we can't name off a single butt ugly PS3/360 game :P

Honestly graphics are half tech and half visual, a game could be tech heavy and still look like visual ass, it all comes from a design standpoint, and just a great team of artists working in their bounds and optimizing, and you'll get things like RE4 on the Gamecube which is still more visually pleasing then a lot of current games though the tech is MUCH weaker.  But it's just like old school 2D games are still visually pleasing, while some 2D games look like ass, those developers just didn't do the best with the bounds they had.  Simple as that.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network

Of course there are cases where 2D grafix look good, but 3D is the way to go if you aren't very restricted by a low dev budget.

I think the 3D graphics in the case of Tokyo Beatdown are meant to add a level of cheese to it.

Username2324 said:

Edit: How do you feel about games like Little Big Planet? It's essentially 2D with a bit of a 3D touch.

canch said:

When the first PS1 came out everything went to 3D.  The nice graphics of 2D were no more.  But over the last few years more 2D that look like 3D games are being released.

Little big planet, Street fighter 4 are but a few.  I just want a side scrolling beat'em thats in 2D with 3D look to it (you know the kind like streets of rage, target renegde, final fight etc)

megaman79 said:
Id like to know just what people think of 2d games on PS360 systems? The mega drive collection sold well, SF2 of course, Braid, LBP, etc. 

You're all wrong. LBP's graphics are in 3D.

You're confused because it plays like a traditional 2D game, meaning the gameplay mechanics are in two dimensions. But all the graphics in LBP are rendered in 3D.

So basically you misunderstood the OP too, since he asks why some "developers insist on creating games in 3D when it's not necessary for the game". And LBP is exactly such a game. 

It's not the right solution for every game, but isometric 3D often offers some 3D advantages still offering gorgeous graphics, I still remember Throne of Darkness, it used Diablo II's engine and it looked awesome (and once I grasped some controls I initially didn't like, I appreciated it very much).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

to be honest 3d games can look better thdn 2d games. but the worst looking 3d games look way worse then the worst 2d games. i think te op is trying to say if the hardware isnt strong enough to make good looking 3d games then just create beautiful 2d games asit is less taxing on the hardware

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Depends on the game. But yea, for some 2D works better.

4 ≈ One

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/20987.html

Top 10 worst 2d to 3d sequels.

Castlevania, Megaman, Final Fight, etc.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

It obviously depends on the amount of work put into a game

Also, Street Fighter EX and Megaman X7 sucked big time, and both were 3d, but above you can see the awesome Megaman X8 and Street Fighter 4, with really great 3d graphics

Flow -"The important is to pwn other ppl"