By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The myth of Sony's dominate publishing relative to Microsoft

Top 10 games in sales:

Sony: 21.1million

Microsoft: 35.72 million

Even accounting for userbase differentials, Microsoft EASILY matches Sony in published game sales, and the difference is even greater if all titles are counted, but I just couldn't be bothered.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

I like your avatar. I assume you are talking about PS3/360. Can you include the games in your survey. It would help to facilitate the debate.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

It's true that Microsoft has done really well at publishing this gen, but I think the numbers will change considerably once the next Gran Turismo is released on the PS3.

i don't think gran turismo is as popular as it used to be.

Not a 360 fanboy, just a PS3 fanboy hater that likes putting them in their place ^.^

Microsoft have Gears of War and Halo 3 alot to thank for lol.

But yeah, if you look it's true. I think most people feel the problem for Microsoft is they're losing their greatest source of games. BioWare got bought by EA, Bizarre by Activision, Ensemble shut down, they shut down some other studios? And now buying an exclusive, even timed, is becoming less and less feasible.

Around the Network
VGhippy said:

It's true that Microsoft has done really well at publishing this gen, but I think the numbers will change considerably once the next Gran Turismo is released on the PS3.

I don't think one game will change the stat much.  Gran Turismo, Unchartered 2, and God of War III will be big for PS3...

But, Microsoft doesn't announce a lot of their games until E3.  On the 360 side, there will probably be Alan Wake, Mass Effect 2 (assuming it is still a timed exclusive), Halo: ODST, Killer Instinct 3, Perfect Dark (True sequel), and Forza 3 to counter.

without gran turismo out that isn't fair

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

@shinyu

if GT5's paid demo can outsell 90% of the racing games on PS360 (barring motorstorm 1, forza 2)

then I can deduce that GT is still very popular

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

aikowenicki said:
@vghippy

they will...as they will when Halo ODST launches.

To be fair I did not think we were counting expansion packs =P (It is an expansion pack right? I don't actually follow the Halo series very well)

I never heard this myth about Sony's publishing dominance over MS. I always thought it was Sony's 1st party developers dominance over Microsoft 1st party developers.