By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The myth of Sony's dominate publishing relative to Microsoft

starcraft said:

Top 10 games in sales:

Sony: 21.1million

Microsoft: 35.72 million

Even accounting for userbase differentials, Microsoft EASILY matches Sony in published game sales, and the difference is even greater if all titles are counted, but I just couldn't be bothered.

Dominant in the large number of high quality games published.  That's always been the claim.  Way to beat a straw man, though.

Around the Network
WiiStation360 said:
I never heard this myth about Sony's publishing dominance over MS. I always thought it was Sony's 1st party developers dominance over Microsoft 1st party developers.

I never heard it discussed as a myth until now either.  What I seen is Microsoft is reducing the number of studios it owns to almost nothing, giving indication that it is getting out of the business of producing their own titles.  They are doing far more moneyhatting.  And you get the Sony camp saying Sony is dominating with exclusives this year.  Maybe that is the basis of this "myth" comment.  Other than that, I don't get it. 

I wouldn't say Sony has had first party dominance with their 1st party developers.  I believe they have had MORE of them though.

Sales do not equal quality.

Quality of Sony's first party is vastly superior to that of Microsoft's and that is all that matters to me.

starcraft said:

Top 10 games in sales:

Sony: 21.1million

Microsoft: 35.72 million

Even accounting for userbase differentials, Microsoft EASILY matches Sony in published game sales, and the difference is even greater if all titles are counted, but I just couldn't be bothered.

Nintendo top 1 game in sales:

16.63m

Nintendo top 2 games in sales:

31.44m

That's 10m more than Sony for only Wii Fit and Mario Kart Wii.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

Killzowned said:
Sales do not equal quality.

Quality of Sony's first party is vastly superior to that of Microsoft's.

Well, does Sony have a word processor as good as Word?  Does it have an office suite as good as Microsoft Office?  Does it have an operating system that matches Windows?  Does it have a web based email program as good as Hotmail?

Sony just can't compete in this arena.   Please let me know exactly what Microsoft has in the way of first party development on the game front at this point?

Around the Network

Microsoft is dominating in sales, PS3 is dominating in quality.

kowenicki said:
vghippy

no its a stand alone game... but i suspect you knew that really.

Okay, I checked online and I think I got confused because it's referred to as a stand alone expansion everywhere, and most people on this site seem to refer to it as an expansion. I'm afraid you suspected wrong though, I had no idea it could be played without Halo =P (Or that it even had a new main character!) It sounds a lot like the second F.E.A.R expansion that is also a stand alone game.

kowenicki said:
@ lilleblue

damage control for ms? there is no damage control needed for ms... ms is growing this gen... in every territory, in every way. As is nintendo... Sony on the other hand....

But Halo Wars and SO4 have been KZowned and Yakuzed ...

same go for Gears of War 2 KZowned in term of graphical achievement

that is why damage control is needed.

Time to Work !

oh btw:

Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec Sony Computer Entertainment 8,265 N/A 14.87m
Gran Turismo Sony Computer Entertainment 5,810 N/A 10.85m
Final Fantasy VII Sony Computer Entertainment 37,683N/A 9.72m
Gran Turismo 4 Sony Computer Entertainment 9,041 N/A 9.64m
Gran Turismo 2 Sony Computer Entertainment 3,465 N/A 9.37m

That's top 5 sony published games... together they are at 54.45 million...
hmm.. how to put this. of right, Fail !

BTW: Before you reply with something like "I obviously mean this gen only" or something in the similar fashion which i imagine you might. Nowhere in the op does it state such a thing. In no way, you simply state that microsofts top 10 are more than sonys top 10 which is false since sonys top 5 eclipses microsofts alleged top 10.

Check out my game about moles ^

Staude said:
oh btw:

Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec Sony Computer Entertainment 8,265 N/A 14.87m
Gran Turismo Sony Computer Entertainment 5,810 N/A 10.85m
Final Fantasy VII Sony Computer Entertainment 37,683N/A 9.72m
Gran Turismo 4 Sony Computer Entertainment 9,041 N/A 9.64m
Gran Turismo 2 Sony Computer Entertainment 3,465 N/A 9.37m

That's top 5 sony published games... together they are at 54.45 million...
hmm.. how to put this. of right, Fail !

Hes clearly talking about this gen