By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The myth of Sony's dominate publishing relative to Microsoft

xenophon13 said:
does publishing really matter? Bungie was an in house studio, but Gears wasnt. Publishing means that you pay the money for development. I think the arguement has been that Sony's first party developers are better than microsofts.

No one would make that argument, surely. Peter Molyneux doesn't work for Sony.

Around the Network
badgenome said:
xenophon13 said:
does publishing really matter? Bungie was an in house studio, but Gears wasnt. Publishing means that you pay the money for development. I think the arguement has been that Sony's first party developers are better than microsofts.

But Fumito Ueda does.

It seems Starcraft attacked publishing for some odd reason, because the developing angle cannot even be spun. It's that much of a blowout to one side.

tombi123 said:
badgenome said:
xenophon13 said:

But Fumito Ueda does.

SURE..............................

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

Around the Network

GT series alone sold more than 40 million.......so simply put ur a lying

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

darthdevidem01 said:
@shinyu

if GT5's paid demo can outsell 90% of the racing games on PS360 (barring motorstorm 1, forza 2)

then I can deduce that GT is still very popular

No doubt every Sony PS3 owner will buy GT5 just like most 360 owners by Forza and PGR...  This generation, racing games have not a had a massive effect on new console sales.  Releasing GT5 Prologue probably got that market segment for the PS3 to move already.  And there are a lot of great racing games that are now multi-platform.

The next Need for Speed looks like EA is getting it right again.  Activision bought Blizzard and they will have a AAA racer.  Codemasters now has the F1 IP and they will have Fuel and probably another racer this year.  SimBin has released a console racer now.  Also, there will probably be another Burnout soon as Criterion has released one every two years (Burnout Revenge and Paradise on 360).  We are probably do for another Ridge Racer.  And R* released Midnight Club L.A.  This space is pretty sturated this generation.

Personally, I think the "realistic" racing genre is dying.  Gamers expect more and Burnout makes every other racer sim seem boring.  The idea of racing and destruction is pretty satisfying for gamers...

badgenome said:
tombi123 said:
badgenome said:
xenophon13 said:

But Fumito Ueda does.

LMFAO!

Um what? Where did this come from? You're really twisting the argument man! No one (sensible) is saying the sale of MS published games are less than Sony's.

The statement has always been Sony has greater numbers of first party studios and that is something you cannot twist because the numbers add up. Sony has FAR more first party studios than Microsoft.

darthdevidem01 said:
@shinyu

if GT5's paid demo can outsell 90% of the racing games on PS360 (barring motorstorm 1, forza 2)

then I can deduce that GT is still very popular

This also proves that people are idiots. I'm glad the paid demo model hasn't taken off yet.

"Man is born free but is everywhere in chains" - Rousseau