By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft:"EA knows where the bread is buttered."hints at GTAIV,MGS4,FFXIII

rocketpig said:
No way in hell would a FF VII remake push a console from 4.5m sold up to 20m sold, which would be the absolute smallest userbase needed to move 10m units of a game (the necessary number to outsell the PS1 version). Even 20m is pushing it, the system would probably need a userbase of nearly 30m to have a 10m game. Look at Halo, it needed the entire Xbox userbase to push 8.5m units which happens to be an unrivaled attach rate for non-bundled games.

You guys are on crack.

I'm not so sure that a FFVII remake would outsell the original, BUT there's a strange tone in your argument. You make it sound as if:

A: A game never sells any copies whatsoever after it's first week, since you meant that the PS3's userbase of 4.5 million would not suffice.

or B: It does sell after the first week, but the PS3 will NEVER reach a userbase of 30 million.

For arguments sake; when the PS3 reaches a userbase of 30 million (and it will, even the original Xbox came close) it IS possible that it could sell better than the original based on your calculations. Of course it looks grim if you view todays numbers and do the math, but that's not what they're doing. Many times when PS3 game sales are in question, people seem to assume that PS3 hardware seales will never go beyond what they are at that EXACT moment... Think bigger and further ahead in time, it IS possible! 

Around the Network

when it happens I will crack up on all of you :P

Its not like people can buy a ps3, for FF VII, no the install base will stay at "10million" by mid 08 (which I doubt it should be 12-13million=price cut). Also people cherish ff vii

@fuzzmosis

WTF? People lack faith? what do you mean?

mM
leo-j said:
when it happens I will crack up on all of you :P

Its not like people can buy a ps3, for FF VII, no the install base will stay at "10million" by mid 08 (which I doubt it should be 12-13million=price cut). Also people cherish ff vii

@fuzzmosis

WTF? People lack faith? what do you mean?

The latest final fantasy sold less than 5 million copies. Still a massive hit to be sure, but the series is undoubtedely in decline. Perhaps FFXIII on a new generation will change this, however its unlikely a prettier version of a game that can be bought for a couple of bucks on ebay is going to suddenly go gang-busters and sell ten million copies.  And by unlikely i mean it wont happen.  First, there is no chance in hell the attach rate would be more than 25%, 33% at the outside, which would mean a MINIMUM of 30 million PS3's would have to be sold.  That number could well be obtained, but it is 3-5 years away.  Even then, i just dont see a remake of a game from a francise with declining popularity selling over ten million copies, unless it was sold at an EXTREMELY competitive price.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

FF games are selling between 500-700.000 less for every installment now it seems.

Mummelmann said:
FF games are selling between 500-700.000 less for every installment now it seems.

Yeah thats true. And thats significant, because it shows that not only is the franchise based on a solid core following rather than expansion, but that this core is shrinking.

I expected XII to MASSIVELY increase the following because it was action-based.  My reasoning is that Japan seems to be shifting away from its love for turn-based gaming (slowly but surely) and the USA is definately action-orientated. As such, i conclude that XII's comparitively weak sales were due to a franchise decline. It definately cant be blamed on graphics, because along with GoWII, FFII had the best graphics on PS2.

FFXIII will shift some PS3's, but i doubt if the bumb will be as big as many are thinking. Just as the Halo 3 bump to 360 wont be as big as many are thinking. And for the same reasons. Many people that are hard core final fantasy lovers will already have a PS3.

However, while i do think FF is dying, it will be dying for a LONG time if you know what i mean. And despite this, i still cant convince myself it will come to the 360, even though i wish it would. Although to suggest that there is zero chance of it as some have is simply stupid

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
sieanr said:
leo-j said:Release FF VII remake exclusively on the ps3.(This will outsell FF VII on the ps1 for sure)

I said wow

it would, no wow about it.

Ok Sony guys, we've heard this all before...  once such and such game hits... it'll blow the roof off...  well it hasn't exactly happened yet.  1 game doesn't make a difference, you need to tell Sony to drop it's price faster then their investors will allow and get them to bring out a wide variety of games for all markets.  That and Sony needs a new marketing team....

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

DarkNight_DS said:
ssj12 said:
sieanr said:
leo-j said:Release FF VII remake exclusively on the ps3.(This will outsell FF VII on the ps1 for sure)

I said wow

it would, no wow about it.

Ok Sony guys, we've heard this all before... once such and such game hits... it'll blow the roof off... well it hasn't exactly happened yet. 1 game doesn't make a difference, you need to tell Sony to drop it's price faster then their investors will allow and get them to bring out a wide variety of games for all markets. That and Sony needs a new marketing team....

Amen! I dont think FFXIII or FFVII (if it comes) alone will move many units until another $200 comes of the PS3 price.  Combined with MGS4, LBP and GoW3 it might though

Here is why FF7 remake won't outsell the original;

1. PS3 userbase is low, and this hurts any chances of 10mil, even if the userbase gets considerably larger

2. FF series is selling less and less with each installment

3. FF7 was hailed as a masterpiece, and pulled in many people who had never played a JRPG before

4. The game itself has aged poorly, not just the usual graphics and cutscenes but also the core gameplay. It couldn't compete with current RPGs without a major overhaul

5. The market has changed and this type of game wouldn't sell as well in the US today as in 1997

6. People overestimate the size of the FF7 fanbase, and those who would want to rebuy it.

7. This is the least important one - most people have played it or atleast knows what happens. The game wouldn't be an entirely "new" experience for most people (also see point #3)

I really wouldn't be surprised if a FF7 remake did about as well as the RE remakes for the GC, maybe a bit better. Both have many similarities;
- Remake launching on a console with a small userbase
- Core gameplay that has aged poorly, especially compared to competition.
- Its a game that is no longer a "new" experience, something largly responsible for the originals sales
- Dedicated fanbase, but not nearly large or interested enough to buy it along with the console to play it
- Markets changed, brand name is weaker than it once was

Seriously, I think people overestimate what FF7 is capable of by an order of several magnitudes.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

leo-j:

What I mean is simple. You have never played a final fantasy by your own contribution, yet have a hard-on for cloud/sephiroth, likely caused by Kingdom Hearts. You have little idea if you will actually like the game.

Others have played that game, along with most other final fantasies, on systems with larger install bases than the PS3, and even remakes. It will sell well, there is a demand for it, but a FF7 remake will have insurmountable odds to overcome to outsell the original.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Kasz216

FF 7 is the probably one of the 5 best games of all time......but that is not why i am replying to you..........

I saw what you are currently playing and noticed Tecmo Super Bowl for NES...awesome.......and with that being said,

I would politely crush YOU, any of your friends that you play with, anyone on this website, doesnt matter because i will win each and every time