By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gamepro -- Killzone 2 VS Halo 3 (Is KZ2 a Halo Killer?) YES IT IS!!

darthdevidem01 said:

Round Four: Enemies

Killzone 2

It's not hard to spot who the enemy is in Killzone 2. Your gas mask- donning foes come in several varieties, but they all retain that basic look: glowing red eyes, smooth black Darth Vader-like suits, and booming voices that sound like they're gargling broken glass.

Halo 3

Halo 3's enemy roster is not as simple as Killzone 2's. In the game, you're faced against several different breeds of enemy including the grotesquely-misshapen The Flood, gorilla-sized savages called Brutes, miniaturized low-level enemies called Grunts, and several others.

THE WINNER: Killzone 2

Quantity conquers quality in Round IV of Killzone 2 vs. Halo 3, as Halo 3's colorful assortment of enemies doesn't quite compare to the unforgettably diabolical Helghast.

Round Six: Multiplayer

Killzone 2

Killzone 2 features an immensely customizable multiplayer experience, one that includes clan matches, an exhaustive trophy system, and various character classes you can play as like invisibility-suited Scouts, medics, engineers, and several others. You can even wager bets on the outcome of matches to earn points.

Halo 3

Even nearly two years after its release, Halo 3 remains one of the most played games overall on Xbox Live--last year it was ranked the #1 game played online on Xbox 360. From the numerous addictive multiplayer modes that everyone loves like Oddball, King of the Hill, and of course Slayer, to new incredibly fun game types like Rocket Race VIP where teams of two ride together on mongooses while one player shoots rockets from its back, Halo 3's multiplayer has a lot to offer.

THE WINNER: Killzone 2

Though not tried and true as Halo's multiplayer experience, Killzone 2's multiplayer wins Round VI, giving it a one round lead over Halo 3 so far in this match up. I'm confident that gamers will be sucked into Killzone 2's Call of Duty-caliber multiplayer experience.

Final Round: Extras/Replayability/Overall

Halo 3

One of Halo 3's best extra modes is Forge, where players can tailor their very own multiplayer experience, setting up everything they want in the game from specific rules to the vehicles available on the map. Its replay value is high too-even though the game is somewhat dated and not as sexy as say Call of Duty: World at War/Call of Duty 4. It's still played a great deal online and many gamers will continue to play it even after Halo 3: ODST releases.

Killzone 2

Killzone 2 doesn't have any crazy modes outside its single-player and multiplayer options, but the years it's taken for Guerilla Games to polish and perfect this beast of a first-person shooter's two main game types really shows.

WINNER: Killzone 2

This is a great example f defeating one's own logic....

All enemies look the same >>> diversity in enemies

"Quantity defeats quality" (err...)

Untied multiplayer >>> Behemoth of online gaming (with Coop and local multiplayer I would add)

"KZ2 wins this round giving it one point lead" (fanboy much?)

Just single player and basic multiplayer >>> plenty of multiplayer modes that people still play greatly after 2 years.

"Guerilla really polished the game" (WTF does this have to do with replay??)

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Around the Network
nen-suer said:
heruamon said:
XxXProphecyXxX said:
O OH!!.... 360 fanboys don't seem pleased to see this...

KZ 2 fans...9 million and counting...nuff said.

PS3 fanboys hype a games for it qualtiy

Xbox Fanboy hype games for its quantity  (if thats the case Wii-Fit Is over all)......nuff said

As far as console shooters go, Halo is a quality shooter. It's shit on PC really.

starcraft said:
So am I too understand that we can expect Killzone 2 to defeat Halo 3 in first week sales once userbase differentials are taken into account?

Userbase numbers have nothing to do with it. KZ2 wont even reach Halo 3's first month sales.

disolitude said:
outlawauron said:

I'm sorry, but my experiences playing Halo 3 online just weren't much fun. I absolutely loved Halo and Halo 2's mutliplayer. And the only real difference between the two's multiplayer is that in Call of Duty, you can't absorb bullets as well as you can in Halo.

There are so many differences between the two.

Halo is almost an arcade like experience with power ups, crazy weapons and jumping phisycs...it has an easier learning curve and is much more forgiving for new players. But thats not to say that halo has no depth. Slayer in halo is much more of a team based and startegy game than in COD.

COD is more realistic and a lot more frantic which appeals to a lot of people more...

I personally dont like COD's approach as it seems like an evolved version of rainbow 6 or Ghost recon...games i never liked.  I preffer and always have games like Quake, Unreal, Duke...and Halo 3 is that type of game with its own spin.

COD has an easier learning curve than Halo.

outlawauron said:
disolitude said:
outlawauron said:

I'm sorry, but my experiences playing Halo 3 online just weren't much fun. I absolutely loved Halo and Halo 2's mutliplayer. And the only real difference between the two's multiplayer is that in Call of Duty, you can't absorb bullets as well as you can in Halo.

There are so many differences between the two.

Halo is almost an arcade like experience with power ups, crazy weapons and jumping phisycs...it has an easier learning curve and is much more forgiving for new players. But thats not to say that halo has no depth. Slayer in halo is much more of a team based and startegy game than in COD.

COD is more realistic and a lot more frantic which appeals to a lot of people more...

I personally dont like COD's approach as it seems like an evolved version of rainbow 6 or Ghost recon...games i never liked.  I preffer and always have games like Quake, Unreal, Duke...and Halo 3 is that type of game with its own spin.

While Halo is fast like Unreal or Quake, it certainly takes a whole more to actually kill someone.

And I think the speed of the game puts CoD as a slower more tactical game. And I don't think it's anything like the Tom Clancy games. I really don't like them but understand why some do.

Halo is only fast on PC. Its properly paced on the 360 and original Xbox.

Around the Network
Killzowned said:
Killzone 2 is superior.

Bow to the greatest shooter ever.

KZ2? The greatest shooter ever? ::Throws Battlefield 1942: Desert Combat, Doom 3, Quake 2 and all of my Halo's out the window::

Kantor said:
I agree that Killzone 2 is better than Halo 3, but I have to disagree on two things:

Killzone 2 winning extras? Lol.

Halo 3 tying with KZ2 on weapons? Lol.

Wait....you're telling me KZ2's weapons are superior to Halo's? OMFG!!! He's just asking to see a comparison of WMD!!!

I just can't stop wondering how in hell Killzone 2 did get all points on Final Round: Extras/Replayability/Overall. Halo 3 extras (Theatre, Forge, Bungie.net, etc.) are totally unmatched by almost any console FPS (Orange Box comes close) and thanks to 4 player co-op, skulls, etc. I would say also replayability is totally different level in Halo 3 than Killzone 2.

Also in multiplayer part I just wonder can Killzone 2 be as diverse as Halo 3 is? Halo 3 multiplayer scales from "serious" goal-oriented single- and team-multiplay games like deatmatches, etc. to casual party modes like Crazy king of the hill and Odd ball.

I some how don't believe that people would bother to gather together to play Killzone 2 multiplayer game with pizza and beer and have fun like we do have with Halo 3.

Wake me up when the KillZone franchise ...

Serves 1 billion customers

Gets Pepsi-Cola created a variant of one of their drinks for the game

Has 7-Eleven sell KillZone Slurpees

When Burger King has special promotions featuring Helghast and KillZone designs and/or logos

Appears in a NASCAR race - a KillZone inspired paintjob

Has its main theme song as a downloadable track on Guitar Hero or Rock Band

Gets at least 6 novels and a couple graphic novels

And even has political pundits like Keith Olbermann talking about it as his top story

Gets $300M first week sales

Until then, after playing it several hours and earning trophies, it's an awesome game, but why compare it to a game that came out nearly 2 years ago? I would hope it did better - but still - it may (I was blinded by fanboy bias in the *writer's* comparison post) outpace it but KillZone will never, ever have that kind of following.

A better game? Maybe. (fix'd)

A better franchise? Not even in the same galaxy.

i disagree with the last two