By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: Future Xbox 360 Exclusives Will Surpass Killzone 2 [Graphically]

jpespinal said:
Squilliam said:
jpespinal said:
Zones said:

Yay! Another Killzone 2 Thread. :D

...a Microsoft spokesperson had this to say about Killzone 2 and Microsoft’s future:

“We congratulate Sony and Guerilla Games for their efforts with Killzone 2, however this is only the beginning of a new wave. The current technology employed for certain unannounced Xbox 360 exclusives far surpasses what gamers have seen in any game so far. Gears of War was the beginning of this technological benchmark when released on the 360 and this lineage will be carried forward in the following months with exclusives that shall stand for a new definition of gaming experience and provide stiff competition for the opposition.”

http://www.gameguru.in/microsoft-xbox-360/2009/02/future-xbox-360-exclusives-will-surpass-killzone-2-microsoft/

Do I believe them? Yes. I think they can definitely make better looking games as this generation still has alot more to offer in graphics department, but I doubt they could make an FPS with the same amount of details.

is it just me or when it comes to this gen. is microsoft always trying to 1-up sony??? everything is compared by them... i understand that they are the only HD consoles so i guess that makes them bitter rivals, but ms isnt doing enough imo to really set the bar over sony... DLC not enough, especially when gamers are paying for those extra hours of gaming... buying exclusives??? pathetic imo money should be used in developing more and better 1st party games...

Is it just me or when it comes to this gen, is Sony always playing 2nd fiddle to Microsoft??? everything is compared by them... i understand that they are the only HD consoles so i guess that makes them bitter rivals, but Sony isnt doing enough to really catch up to Microsoft... KZ2 not enough, especially when gamers waited years for it... poor selling exclusives??? pathetic imo, money should be used to find out what the market wants and actually deliver it.

and by that you mean spending money on a GTA DLC episode, a sequel in the halo franchise, not so great 1st party games er um VIVA PINATA anyone??!?!? er um anyone??? BANJO KAZOOOOOOOIE!!!?!?!?! ok so how about ninja blade??? no??? what about NNN sequel???? no??? we have SE's new line of mediocre at best RPGs... no?? ummmmmmmmm gee ummmmmmm... *rumor* lets spend that money and make BioShock 2 a TIMED exclusive.... now THATS an investment.. forget fixing RRoD fixing that would be a WAAAASTE of money

1.) You do realize the GTA DC has a very good chance of being free for Microsoft, right? Those 50 million weren't a gift, they were an advancement. If both DLC make exactly 55 Million dollars combined, Rockstar gets around 3-4 million out of it. They have to pay Microsoft back 50 million + royalties for releasing it on Xbox Live. So no, Microsoft didn't pay them, they loaned them the money. 

2.) The Halo fanchise is one of the strongest and most profitable in the industry.

So you're saying a console widening the gap over its competitor despite a crummy library and hardware issues? Man, the other guy must have done a lot of stupid things for something like that to happen! 

5 of the top 15 PS3 games were publishes by Sony.

5 of the top 15 360 games were published by Microsoft.

I think Microsoft's first party games are selling pretty darn well.

Good news Everyone!

I've invented a device which makes you read this in your head, in my voice!

Around the Network

MS first party games???? there is???

as it has been cosntantly said neither console will really be able to do anything the other isnt capable of doing. Of course im speaking bout the ps3 and 360

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

@topic
...and future PS3 exclusives will also Surpass Killzone 2 (graphically) ;)
So whats the big deal about it? Its normal that new games look better than the old ones

Well how much power did GeoW 2 use? KZ2 maxed out @ 60 p/c on the PS3 SPEs.

Around the Network

Damn, I should have posted this article. It would have made me back some of the money spent on the IM thing.

I fail to see where an argument is spawned from this comment by MS PR (if MS even said this...)

Apparently, MS congratulated Sony on a job well done with KZ2 and acknowledged that Sony has a real masterpiece on their hands. Then they said that the 360 is capable of more than what KZ2 has displayed in the graphics department. Now, PS3 users are in flames about this comment say "KZ2 isn't the best the PS3 can do". MS never said that was the case though. If MS had spoken on behalf of the PS3's tech and its capabilities, people would've complained about that too... So I don't get what people want. They don't say anything on PS3's behalf, people complained. If they did, people would complain that MS is in no position to say things about the PS3s tech. -_-;; It hurts me head trying to figure out why we're all arguing. lol

There's no doubt that both the 360 and PS3 are capable of more than we've seen. From what I've seen, my opinion is that PS3's current exclusive (keyword) library has higher graphical fidelity than 360's. I feel that is because Sony's first parties (sp?) and exclusive third parties have worked harder at figuring out the system's strengths and playing to them. MS may have provided great tools to developers but I feel their first party has been approaching the system too much like a PC in terms of development. The architecture shares a lot to the PC, but it is not exactly like one. As stated by others, the memory architecture and shading/texturing architecture in the 360 are some of the strengths that haven't really been taken advantage of in first party games to the extent that Sony's developers have used the Cell for parallelism and the extra storage space on blu ray for a greater variety of assets (animations, textures, etc).

I wouldn't be surprised if MS has been working away at something that looks visually better (in their opinion) than KZ2 as they might be learning to play to the system's strengths. I'm also now learning about the tessellation system in the 360 thanks to jetrii and Squallium that I never knew about before. Thanks guys! Both systems still have a ways to go. MS's first party is starting to look better though. A perfect example of this is BJ:N&B. The game is actually quite technically stunning when you look at the texture quality and lighting going on at such a large scale with no hitches.

As for how much of each system has been used by respective games, KZ2 may only use 60% of the Cell (if you want to believe that - there have been other reports that the game "maxes out" the Cell at times), but it is possibly bottlenecked in other areas like memory. Who knows for sure? There's no point in arguing with those numbers as no one knows for sure except the devs. Bringing games like GeOW 2 into the mix doesn't make sense either. Yes, I feel it is the 360's best looking game but it uses a 3rd party engine with an "optimized" implementation. Optimizing something after it has been made and optimizing it while it's being constructed are two whole different beasts. One will obviously produce better results than the other. It's like putting together a car with clean parts vs putting together a car with spare parts and then cleaning it up after it's been built.

Finally, I am disappointed with no local multiplayer in KZ2. None of my friends have a PS3 and so I can't enjoy this great game with them. Ah well, keep the great games coming Sony and MS (...and Nintendo?)!

I think that 60% is fishy too. But I'm pretty sure there is still alot of power to squeeze out of the PS3 SPEs: the more parallel the architecture, the harder it is to fully exploit it.

On MS' side I do agree that probably we're going to see a shift from meat-and-potato PC-like development to a more dirty hands-on approach with the hardware.

Up to this point the x360 has sailed quite easily on having an architecture more similar to the PC and a better SDK, so that for example in multiplatform titles we've seen MS AA on the x360 vs worse AA methods (quin. supersampling) on the PS3 where MS AA has to be implemented by the devs, not sure if via pixel shaders or SPEs. Another example is the fact that ambient occlusion has still to land into the standard Sony SDK, whereas multiplatform games have been using it yet on the x360.

Microsoft may have fumbled alot of projects but they know how to cater to developers and their excellent toolchain gave them a good headstart in multiplatform titles territory. As Sony's SDK catches up and their first and second party titles tap deeper into the hardware strong points, so MS will have to "change gear" and specialize their software technology to keep up.

Good times ahead :)

edit: darn, priteshmodi stole most of my post... oh, well :)

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

1337 Gamer said:
as it has been cosntantly said neither console will really be able to do anything the other isnt capable of doing. Of course im speaking bout the ps3 and 360

Ahhh, no. M.A.G is said to be maxing out all of the PS3's SPU's and would be impossible to run on the 360. 1st and 2nd party games look better from SONY this gen anyway then M$.

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD

Also, the 360 is older and has already been pushing it's limits. Will it get better? Of course, but not leaps and bounds, just a tad. But, on the other hand, the PS3 is just warming up. Like all SONY platforms, they keep getting better and better right till it's end.

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD