By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii Sports Resort to beat Halo 3?

Give it about 5-8 months and it will beat Halo 3.

Around the Network
Demotruk said:
gergroy said:
Demotruk said:
gergroy said:
Demotruk said:
Jereel Hunter said:
FreeTalkLive said:
Not only will it not beat Halo 3 1st week sales, Nintendo won't even ship 3 million copies for 1st week. Remember, Nintendo still cannot even make Mario Kart discs fast enough to keep up with demand.

Oh, yes though. WSR is far more important to gaming then H3 and will sell more, overall.

Because cute fun casual titles are important, and big budget titles with gobs of features that keep people playing 2 years after launch are just fluff?

Yes actually. People will still be playing Wii Sports (and presumably resort) for much longer than two years. I'm amazed people still don't get that.

It's not the same man.  People might pull out the wii and blow the dust off when they are having a party or something, but people that play halo play it on a very regular basis (i.e. at least once a week).  I would say the majority, not all mind, but the majority of people that buy this game will play it pretty regularly the first month, and then hardly touch it.  I think you are overthinking the casual mentality.  They are called casual players for a reason.

They are called casual players so that there's an "us" and a "them". If you hadn't noticed alot of people don't like the term 'casual' players, that's why their are so many threads mocking it's use.

Mock if you will, I really don't care.  It doesn't change the fact that certain people (casual players) have different game playing habits as others.  Giving them an identifying title as in casual is hardly something I would mock.  I mean, the freaking game companies use these terms to categorize us!  why can't we use them?  because we play the games or are smarter or more sophisticated?  No. the mocking of the use of that term is probably some form of fanboyism.

Nintendo executives avoid using the term (although you'll find it used on the lower rungs), and although they on occassion use it, they have said they don't like the term. The companies that divide demographics into "hardcore" and "casual" are actually the ones that are finding it tougher to get a foot in the "casual" business. Ubisoft and EA's "casual" software has been moderately successful, but it pales in comparison to Nintendo's games, which are simply made to be fun for most people.

haha, you don't think nintendo divides their demographics and knows who is buying what?  They may not talk about it publicly as much but it doesn't mean they aren't researching that part of their business.  In fact here in the USA, Nintendo, along with microsoft and Sony, pay the NPD to track those different demographics and their spending habits.  In fact, I have probably read about 20 articles in the last few months with nintendo refering to the hardcore crowd.  You are starting to sound a little fanboyish defensive of nintendo there.  It's ok to say that they target the casual gamer as their primary audience, or more specifically target the non-gamer to turn them into a casual gamer.

You've got the dichotomy so firmly stuck in your head that anyone who says otherwise is just being a fanboy. We might as well be arguing over religion for all the progress that will be made.

They do use demographics, but not 'casual'. Primarily they design thinking about 'jobs'. Ie. what jobs are consumers looking to be filled in their lives. Jobs cross demographic boundaries, so when they design this way, they make it as widely appealing as possible.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

I’d say if Nintendo has enough supply at launch then maybe it cold.

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

gergroy said:
Demotruk said:
gergroy said:
Demotruk said:
gergroy said:
Demotruk said:
Jereel Hunter said:
FreeTalkLive said:
Not only will it not beat Halo 3 1st week sales, Nintendo won't even ship 3 million copies for 1st week. Remember, Nintendo still cannot even make Mario Kart discs fast enough to keep up with demand.

Oh, yes though. WSR is far more important to gaming then H3 and will sell more, overall.

Because cute fun casual titles are important, and big budget titles with gobs of features that keep people playing 2 years after launch are just fluff?

Yes actually. People will still be playing Wii Sports (and presumably resort) for much longer than two years. I'm amazed people still don't get that.

It's not the same man.  People might pull out the wii and blow the dust off when they are having a party or something, but people that play halo play it on a very regular basis (i.e. at least once a week).  I would say the majority, not all mind, but the majority of people that buy this game will play it pretty regularly the first month, and then hardly touch it.  I think you are overthinking the casual mentality.  They are called casual players for a reason.

They are called casual players so that there's an "us" and a "them". If you hadn't noticed alot of people don't like the term 'casual' players, that's why their are so many threads mocking it's use.

Mock if you will, I really don't care.  It doesn't change the fact that certain people (casual players) have different game playing habits as others.  Giving them an identifying title as in casual is hardly something I would mock.  I mean, the freaking game companies use these terms to categorize us!  why can't we use them?  because we play the games or are smarter or more sophisticated?  No. the mocking of the use of that term is probably some form of fanboyism.

Nintendo executives avoid using the term (although you'll find it used on the lower rungs), and although they on occassion use it, they have said they don't like the term. The companies that divide demographics into "hardcore" and "casual" are actually the ones that are finding it tougher to get a foot in the "casual" business. Ubisoft and EA's "casual" software has been moderately successful, but it pales in comparison to Nintendo's games, which are simply made to be fun for most people.

haha, you don't think nintendo divides their demographics and knows who is buying what?  They may not talk about it publicly as much but it doesn't mean they aren't researching that part of their business.  In fact here in the USA, Nintendo, along with microsoft and Sony, pay the NPD to track those different demographics and their spending habits.  In fact, I have probably read about 20 articles in the last few months with nintendo refering to the hardcore crowd.  You are starting to sound a little fanboyish defensive of nintendo there.  It's ok to say that they target the casual gamer as their primary audience, or more specifically target the non-gamer to turn them into a casual gamer.

You two should stop arguing... yes of course there is such thing as casual/hardcore.... but it is not split so conveniently down the middle, which is where some developers seem to get confused, they either try make a Halo/GoW/GeoW clone, or a collection of minigames with less depth than Wii Play using incredibly ugly attempts at making Miis.

And neither of you can argue Wii Sports Resort nor Halo 3 is unimportant.... In terms of gaming significance it's their parents that are far more important to gaming, but both of them are still very important. And both will be played for hundreds of millions of hours.

Around the Network

Launch sales? Nowhere near. WSR will have huge legs, but it doesn't have much anticipation. I don't see it doing over a million first week.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

TWRoO said:
gergroy said:
Demotruk said:
gergroy said:
Demotruk said:
gergroy said:
Demotruk said:
Jereel Hunter said:
FreeTalkLive said:

You two should stop arguing... yes of course there is such thing as casual/hardcore.... but it is not split so conveniently down the middle, which is where some developers seem to get confused, they either try make a Halo/GoW/GeoW clone, or a collection of minigames with less depth than Wii Play using incredibly ugly attempts at making Miis.

And neither of you can argue Wii Sports Resort nor Halo 3 is unimportant.... In terms of gaming significance it's their parents that are far more important to gaming, but both of them are still very important. And both will be played for hundreds of millions of hours.

agreed, this is the point I was trying to make.