By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii Sports Resort to beat Halo 3?

gergroy said:
Demotruk said:
Jereel Hunter said:
FreeTalkLive said:
Not only will it not beat Halo 3 1st week sales, Nintendo won't even ship 3 million copies for 1st week. Remember, Nintendo still cannot even make Mario Kart discs fast enough to keep up with demand.

Oh, yes though. WSR is far more important to gaming then H3 and will sell more, overall.

Because cute fun casual titles are important, and big budget titles with gobs of features that keep people playing 2 years after launch are just fluff?

Yes actually. People will still be playing Wii Sports (and presumably resort) for much longer than two years. I'm amazed people still don't get that.

It's not the same man.  People might pull out the wii and blow the dust off when they are having a party or something, but people that play halo play it on a very regular basis (i.e. at least once a week).  I would say the majority, not all mind, but the majority of people that buy this game will play it pretty regularly the first month, and then hardly touch it.  I think you are overthinking the casual mentality.  They are called casual players for a reason.

They are called casual players so that there's an "us" and a "them". If you hadn't noticed alot of people don't like the term 'casual' players, that's why their are so many threads mocking it's use.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network

It's the sequel to the most owned game of all time.

First week sales? Maybe not.

First month sales? Yes

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

Pristine20 said:
I doubt it. I don't think most of the people who bought the wii for wii sports are waiting for an update but I could be wrong.

Very.... in fact of those that bought the Wii FOR Wii Sports (ie those who had never really gamed, or wouldn't have considered buying the Wii until they played WS at someones house) there is likely an overwhelming majority that will buy this.

If you are talking about "waiting" as in hyping it up in their minds so they have to get it week 1 though, then perhaps you are correct, but it's not just those who bought the Wii for Wii Sports only who will be getting this game, and by sheer numbers of people anticipating the game (I am certainly getting it, and not because it has WM+, but because I still love WS) it will sell well the first week, in fact the main limiting factor is going to be Nintendo's supply of the game. I don't believe it is an option to have the game seperate from the perephrial as it is meant as a showcase of WM+ and likely won't work without it... which means like Wii Fit, initial supply (and perhaps long time supply too) will be low.
And in truth, even if supply were adequate I still don't think it could make 4 million on the first week, but it would sure have a good shot at 2-3 million. (wheras as it is I think it will be around 1.5-2 million)

Nintendo won't come close to producing enough of them. They tend to underestimate the demand for their products lately.

Demotruk said:
gergroy said:
Demotruk said:
Jereel Hunter said:
FreeTalkLive said:
Not only will it not beat Halo 3 1st week sales, Nintendo won't even ship 3 million copies for 1st week. Remember, Nintendo still cannot even make Mario Kart discs fast enough to keep up with demand.

Oh, yes though. WSR is far more important to gaming then H3 and will sell more, overall.

Because cute fun casual titles are important, and big budget titles with gobs of features that keep people playing 2 years after launch are just fluff?

Yes actually. People will still be playing Wii Sports (and presumably resort) for much longer than two years. I'm amazed people still don't get that.

It's not the same man.  People might pull out the wii and blow the dust off when they are having a party or something, but people that play halo play it on a very regular basis (i.e. at least once a week).  I would say the majority, not all mind, but the majority of people that buy this game will play it pretty regularly the first month, and then hardly touch it.  I think you are overthinking the casual mentality.  They are called casual players for a reason.

They are called casual players so that there's an "us" and a "them". If you hadn't noticed alot of people don't like the term 'casual' players, that's why their are so many threads mocking it's use.

Mock if you will, I really don't care.  It doesn't change the fact that certain people (casual players) have different game playing habits as others.  Giving them an identifying title as in casual is hardly something I would mock.  I mean, the freaking game companies use these terms to categorize us!  why can't we use them?  because we play the games or are smarter or more sophisticated?  No. the mocking of the use of that term is probably some form of fanboyism.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
Im guessing around a Million for first week, then monster legs as Ninty then advertise the life out of it with the usual "family playing together" thing and the "celebrity family playing together" thing.

I'm guessing less than a million to be honest <___<

It will be released in summer time: low sales for gaming.

I say no, Halo 3 is extremely frontloaded, Wii is all about legs.

It will probably sell under 500,000 first week but stay in the top 10 for years.

Jereel Hunter said:
FreeTalkLive said:

WUT? Hardcore games are played for a longer timespan than casual games? 

Demotruk said:
Jereel Hunter said:
FreeTalkLive said:

Not regularly. Wii Sports is a cool game, no question. But I, just like most people, got tired of it fairly quickly. It's moved so many copies due to being bundled with every single Wii ever sold. Halo 3 Sold 9m+ copies unbundled, and it probably sees more play on a daily basis than the 4x as many Wii Sports copies floating around out there.

Nintendo wont ship 4 million copies, they should but they wont.