By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Turn-based RPG or Action RPG

Good story, Nice charters, Fun game play = good game
doesn't matter if its action,strategy or turn base

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

Around the Network

I was playing Last Remnant demo the other day and it convinces me that the only thing that matters is the battle system is innovative.

Turn based strategy games usually seem to be the same combat system that was used during the SNES era.

I prefer the gameplay of Mana/Tales/etc. games to Final Fantasy/Breath of Fire/etc. but if the story is engrossing, I can settle for both.

Pixel Art can be fun.

TURN BASED!!!!!!!!

but done lie Parasite eve 1

its the best of both worlds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Naum said:
Turn based.

Have yet to play a action rpg wich I couldn't beat by smashing one button.

Action based is way to easy. wich means it's for sissies

That sums up how I feel about action RPGs. No strategy required, mash that attack button = win.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

Turn Based. In most cases erroneously labeled "action RPGs" are just action/adventure games with an inventory screen, lots of character dialog, and character stats/leveling. But how is this different than zelda, the newer Castlevanias, Rygar on NES, ect.? Those are certainly not RPGs. A game I would consider an "action RPG" would be something like Deus Ex. It's not an RPG in the conventional way, but in the fact that your actions dictate the story and you have character customization.

I like mostly turn-based RPGs. For example, Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest IV, V, VIII, Grandia II and Skies of Arcadia. Those are some of the best RPGs out there. However, I also like Radiata Stories, which is action packed. I guess, the story, the music, and the characters are the determining factors for me.

PS3 rocks!!!

Senlis said:
I was playing Last Remnant demo the other day and it convinces me that the only thing that matters is the battle system is innovative.

Turn based strategy games usually seem to be the same combat system that was used during the SNES era.

What is it you say:

Why fix something that isn't broken?

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Both are fun. Both are inferior to sRPGs.

turn based is where you tend to still find the most epic stories while the stories in action rps always tend to be secondary to the hack and slash action.

Heavens to Murgatoids.