By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How much did Killzone 2 development cost?

I estimate between $40-50 million.

Around the Network

i`d say 12 million dollars

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!

bet with *no one yet* that the combined first week of Monster Hunter 3 in america and europe will be 600k or more! winner changes looser sig and avatar for two months!

i doubt 60m, h3 cost 60m and bungie has alot more employees than guerrila.

maybe 30-40?

koopatrooper said:
i`d say 12 million dollars

Lollatrooper.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

TowlieFTW said:
i doubt 60m, h3 cost 60m and bungie has alot more employees than guerrila.

maybe 30-40?

It also wasn't in development as long, but my guess would be 40 to 50 without adding in all the ads, E3 events, etc.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network

A low cost top tier game (something in the top 25%) is going to run about 10 million for two years of development.

Killzone two probably at least had the triple that budget not counting advertising so lets say 30 million for two years. Add another three years onto the development times and it looks 75 million for the high end estimate.  If I were to say low, I would probably say 60 million.

Complete ballpark there but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the right ballpark.

@Twesterm thats using an engine thats already been built such as a proprietary or third party engine right?

Tease.

@Squilliam: Gears of War says yes (I suppose you're thinking that too).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Squilliam said:
@Twesterm thats using an engine thats already been built such as a proprietary or third party engine right?

That's just a general cost, though a lot of studios actually use their own proprietary engine so I imagine engine work is included in that cost.  I doubt their engine was built entirely from scratch, they probably just improved upon their previous engine and built it specifically to work wit the PS3.

Building your own engine isn't that huge of a task (compared to everything else) if you're no planning on licensing it.

Yeah I was.

Twesterm, any chances you can tell us your thoughts about the game industry seeing as you're an insider with regards to development challenges?

Tease.