By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - top 5 RPGs this generation.

If they're counting VC why not count FE: Radiant Dawn?

Are we still considering Super Paper Mario an RPG?

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

Around the Network

ToV is missing
Folklore is not really a true JRPG
Eternal Sonata ??? Oh C'mon

pearljammer said:

Alright list (thumbs up for no WRPG's ), but I'd replace ES with ToV and Folklore with either Fire Emblem: RD or Disgaea 3.

This is a testament to how poor this gen has been for RPGs in my opinion.

i agree with you on this. and i am seeing a lot of RPGs in handhelds but not on consoles.

I really wouldn't call folklore an rpg. its very much more of an action adventure game. Rather amazed some other games haven't been considered in the OP's list, Oblivion, Disgaea 3 and Mass Effect comes to mind.

sadly I haven't played enough rpgs from this generation's palette to build a top 5 list. I have a habit of revisiting old classics like baldur's gate 2 or one of the FFs when I want my fill of rpg fills.

List misses Opoona. People acting like Opoona doesn't exist make me a sad panda.

Around the Network

Well they definetly got number 1 right. Valkyria Chronicles is the best JRPG since the PS1 days.

1. Fallout 3
2. Oblivion
3. Fable 2

Owner of 360

Future owner of a PS3 (when it drops to $300)

This list is a complete joke. Eternal Sonata? Really!? That game was doesn't deserve to be on any top 5 list unless it's top 5 disappointments. Folklore? Is that even an RPG? Any list that has Eternal Sonata but not ToV is a complete a utter waste of space.

Why lost odyssey even got mentioned confuses me. It's just so boring! There's no way it's in the same league as the previous generations' best rpg's.

I traded my Wii for a PS3  :)

WRPG's shouldn't even be in the same category as JRPG's, they are way to different.

JRPG's is for real men.

WRPG's is for sissies.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints