By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - You Failed SEGA - great advertorial by IGN

bouzane said:
carlos710 said:
what's the name of the game on the 4th picture in the article?? (the one with skaters)

That's Jet Grind Radio

Now i see why so many people wants a new one :) looks nice, I'll have to take off the dust of my dreamcast :P

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

Around the Network

i liked the Dreamcast so i dont think im to blame.

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

jetset amazing

famousringo said:
The fundamental flaw in this article is the assumption that gamers owe Sega for some reason. They really don't. It isn't the customer's fault that s/he isn't interested in the bait Sega is dangling before them.

I think the author is actually trying to say, "You failed me by not buying the Sega games I wanted you to buy." Why does he think other people have a duty to support his cause?

There are many kinds of games I would like to see made, and genres I'd like to see revived, but I know that I'm only one consumer, and I can only vote with my own voice and my own wallet. Chastising other people for not wanting what I want isn't going to make my dreams come true.

Well the argument behind your argument here is that a lot of gamers complain about lack of innovation and new interesting experiences. I think this article is directed at them.

Its like...fans say things like "Boo...why is dead space a rail shooter on the wii...why can't they do something cool and original...booo"

Well its because the 3rd person action game did not really burn up the charts on ps360 and its cheaper to do a rail shooter then risk another high budget flop. Also, the fact that rail shooters on the wii do very well is another bonus...

I don't think gamers owed anything to Sega...but they are guilty in having sega become another run of the mill type of publisher. 

And this isn't jsut for hardcore gaming. Lets see if "Lets Tap" does well on the wii...seems like another original and fun game idea by Yuji Naka, Sonic the Hedgehog programmer and co-creator. Sega funded his studio and I believe is publishing his game. If it fails, sega will have another shitty sonic ready for the masses very fast... Cut, fold, paste...next!

I used to be an Anti-sega guy for a while (1995-2001), but I've become a Sega fan after I bought several of their games in the past few months (Valkyria Chronicles, the Yakuza series, VF5)

Around the Network

I LOVE(d) Smilebit, and their games (JSRF, Gunvalkyrie, PDO) were the very reason I purchased an Xbox at all. I even bought a copy of Orta before I had the system itself. They also developed the best game EVER, The Typing of the Dead.

I was greatly saddened when Sega shuffled all their internal teams and put Smilebit to rest. Bastards.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

I did not fail Sega. I supported them. Quit blaming me!!!

I bring this up now specifically because of the economic climate. In 2001, there was an assumption that videogames were recession-proof. After the last six months of heartbreaking stories about studio closures, we know that's not true.

This is just wrong.  The video game idustry had record revenues in 2008.  If it was the recession that was the problem, revenue would be down.

As for the article as a whole, a publisher should not expect the first game of a new IP to be a smashing success.  Very few games are like that.  As long as the first one makes some money, make a better sequel and grow the franchise.  Marketing doesn't hurt either.  My suspicion is that the average consumer had no clue about these games, so they stayed away.  You can't really blame someone for thinking, "If it was good, I would have heard about it."

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

I bought almost all of those Sega games and systems. My conscience is clear.

disolitude said:
famousringo said:
The fundamental flaw in this article is the assumption that gamers owe Sega for some reason. They really don't. It isn't the customer's fault that s/he isn't interested in the bait Sega is dangling before them.

I think the author is actually trying to say, "You failed me by not buying the Sega games I wanted you to buy." Why does he think other people have a duty to support his cause?

There are many kinds of games I would like to see made, and genres I'd like to see revived, but I know that I'm only one consumer, and I can only vote with my own voice and my own wallet. Chastising other people for not wanting what I want isn't going to make my dreams come true.

Well the argument behind your argument here is that a lot of gamers complain about lack of innovation and new interesting experiences. I think this article is directed at them.

Its like...fans say things like "Boo...why is dead space a rail shooter on the wii...why can't they do something cool and original...booo"

Well its because the 3rd person action game did not really burn up the charts on ps360 and its cheaper to do a rail shooter then risk another high budget flop. Also, the fact that rail shooters on the wii do very well is another bonus...

I don't think gamers owed anything to Sega...but they are guilty in having sega become another run of the mill type of publisher. 

And this isn't jsut for hardcore gaming. Lets see if "Lets Tap" does well on the wii...seems like another original and fun game idea by Yuji Naka, Sonic the Hedgehog programmer and co-creator. Sega funded his studio and I believe is publishing his game. If it fails, sega will have another shitty sonic ready for the masses very fast... Cut, fold, paste...next!

Perhaps I was allowing the title to colour my impression of the article too much. It does sound rather accusatory.

There's certainly plenty of evidence that gamers shy away from the unfamiliar. EA and Activision's current fortunes are a good demonstration of that. I don't think Dead Space: Extraction is a good example, though, because many of the complaints stem from EA trying to do something different with the franchise on Wii. People aren't just angry because it's a rail shooter, they're angry because it's deviating from the established gameplay of the IP. Extraction was under development long before the original Dead Space got its tepid reception in the market, so I don't think that impacted their decision on how they'd make Dead Space for Wii.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.