By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So after all of SF4s hype it still couldnt beat DBZ.

dbz IS dbz after all

Around the Network

Goku went Super Saiyan. The Street Fighters never had a chance........in Japan.

frictionini said:
I think they would rather play it on arcade hehehe. I guess people were expecting "epic" sales for SFIV.

this..

and ohh sup Pippen!!!

That new Street Fighter and Dragonball movie come out soon. We'll soon see the gap between popularity when they come out.

scabab said: Im sure a bunch of you will complain or whatever but im not interested so save it.

Translates to: I'm sure a bunch of you will have different opinions but they would beat my argument so save it.

Then you even answer your own question! Wow. When you combine the launches of the PS3 and 360 versions, they beat the launches of both Burst Limit SKUs in Japan by a big amount. And I don't see why this is so surprising. The Street Fighter series isn't the sales behemoth in Japan that it once was. The popularity of the series has been steadily declining with each new release and generation. The original Street Fighter II sold about 2.9 million in Japan, but Street Fighter EX 3 on the PS2 sold only 200k. Dragonball managed to keep itself alive during the PS2 generation with a variety of high profile releases. Street Fighter may have seen a revival in the west due to huge amounts of hype and coverage, but it's now a fairly niche series in Japan (save for arcades).

Around the Network

The first complainer, ignored

My question to the TC is what did you expect SF4 to sell?

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

About 100k, 90k minimum

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Godot said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
scabab said:
In Japan Dragonball Z Burst Limit sold 85,000+ copies on Week 1 but Street Fighter 4 which had a bunch of hype couldnt even out sell it. I know Street Fighter 4 isnt that good but still it should have outsold it. Theres several Dragonball Z games a year come out this was the first proper Street Fighter in ages. Im sure a bunch of you will complain or whatever but im not interested so save it. I just wanna know why Street Fighter couldnt have outsold DBZ. Yes i know DBZ is far far more popular than Street Fighter it doesnt come close to being as popular but still it should have done better.

On the objective side of things Street Fighter 4 will beat Burst Limit for sure. That game brought fighters back to triple a status where I live. Every store in my area was sold out and had tournaments outside the store. On a subjective tip, I haven't even put a thought into burst limit as I'm not a fan of the videogames. I just don't find them fun. Street Fighter 4 put fighters back on the map.

It's not like Brawl is the most popular fighting game over there.

No offense to Brawl, but the main reason for its sales was because its on the Wii. SF4 is putting hardcore fighters back on the map. Brawl in no way was ever hyped by people this much. It was hyped, but not like this. There were lines of people outside of my Gamestop waiting to play the game after the tournament. 

I'm pretty sure the main reason for its sales is because it's Smash Brothers and because Smash Brothers is more popular. Being on the Wii certainly wouldn't explain Melee's sales.

Besides, fighters were never off the map. Maybe arcade fighters but not fighters in general.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

I would say part of the reason is because SF4 is NOT NEW. Japan has been playing SF4 for what must've been almost a year already in the arcades. All the hype has died down because if they got the hype itch, they just go out to the arcades.

And after playing it in a Japan arcade, I gotta say its a hell of a lot more fun than playing it on a little console with a controller.